-Caveat Lector-

Reply from the horse's mouth... Joshua2

Mark McHugh wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Bob Stokes wrote:
> >
> >  -Caveat Lector-
> >
> > In a message dated 99-09-17 11:57:25 EDT, J2 writes:
> >
> > <<  I know two Christians, one a German, and one an Argentine
> >  >    who went for a summer and converted to Hasidic Judaism of
> >  >    all things. >>
> >
> >      A coworker of mine a few years ago was telling me he used to be a Jew
> > (religion) but quit when the elders told him he could go no further toward
> > becoming a Rabbi because he was not a full-blood Jew, only half Jewish.

Sounds like bullshit to me. If his mother was Jewish, and he considered himself
Jewish he could become a Rabbi. Any fool who is a Jew can become a Rabbi, and
many do. If, on the other hand, his father was a Jew, and his mother was not,
then he is not a Jew, and therefore can not become a Rabbi until he goes
through the process of conversion as any non Jew can do.

> He
> > quit and said he enjoyed eating a cheeseburger.

That's dedication for you. He would have had to give up a lot more than
cheeseburgers to become a Rabbi. Turning him down was the right decision.

>Jews don't eat
> > cheeseburgers?  That has always confused me.  Do you have to be of Jewish
> > blood to be Jewish?

No. Just a member of the religion, or born into the culture. There is no
Jewish " race."

>I could give up cheeseburgers, but never pizza.

You wouldn't have to. Pizza is only non-kosher if made with non-kosher
cheese. Mozzarella is a non-kosher cheese, but there are kosher replacements.
In my opinion, non-kosher pizza is much better.

> > Regards,
> > Bob Stokes

> Amen, Bob!  I could never be a Kosher Jew, anyway.  That no meat and cheese
> together clause would break the contract.  A Jewish friend of mine told me it
> had to do with one of the sacrificial proscriptions, something to do with
> boiling lambs in milk.
>
> --
> Mark McHugh

If I remember correctly, it's a calf in its mother's milk. It has to do with
cruelty to animals. It goes something like this... Milk is produced by the
mother cow as a source of life sustaining food for the cow's child. It would
be too painful to the cow mother to see its child killed and made into food
in its milk. This of course is antropomorphication, but the intent is
admirable.

Then the religious establishment took over that kind and simple concept and
turned it into a labyrinthine mish mosh of neurosis inducing rules that drive
otherwise healthy Jewish females insane.

Joshua2