FRIDAY
SEPTEMBER 17
1999
----
 Death by government?

----

By Stephan Archer
© 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

Just days before Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement, American Jewish
Congress President Jack Rosen, has begun an Internet gun control petition
drive in the name of America's children. But Aaron Zelman, executive
director of Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, believes that,
in the name of America's children, the constitutional right to keep and bear
arms should be preserved.
Rosen announced the launch of the petition drive last Tuesday at a press
conference in Washington, DC, and mirror conferences were held in eight
other cities, including New York. The event began with the blowing of the
Shofar, which, throughout Jewish history, has been a call to action. It's
also fitting that the petition begins during this time, said Rosen, as the
Jewish New Year started just last weekend. For Jews, it is a time of
reflection, and Rosen is calling upon all Jews to "take stock" and make an
effort to "identify shortcomings."

"We are here today to launch a grassroots initiative that is long overdue,"
said Rosen of the petition drive at Tuesday's press conference. "We are here
today to address gun violence in our nation. We are here today with
proposals that will enhance, not restrict, freedom in our society. ... Most
of all, we are here today to protect our children, both from the threats
that exist today, and those that could exist tomorrow if action is not
taken."

Zelman, however, does not share Rosen's zeal for gun control. To protect
children and all other members of the family unit, Zelman said, the right to
bear arms must remain uninfringed and an important part of American culture.

"He's helping to create a foundation for a police state," said Zelman of
Rosen. "With gun registration, the government may sleep well at night, but
the citizens won't. This is just the opposite of what the Founders of the
country had in mind."

"Historically, in countries where the parents have been disarmed and a
police state has been imposed on the people with the help of firearm
registration, both kids and parents came face to face with great evil,
including death by government," Zelman added.

Rosen's petition calls on Congress to recognize what the American Jewish
Congress calls the "crisis afflicting our nation," by requiring a number of
legislative actions. First and foremost would be the requirement that all
gun buyers pass a U.S. Justice Department background check before taking
possession of a firearm from any dealer. Currently, under the National
Instant Check System (NICS), background checks are handled in a generally
timely fashion by the FBI. Rosen's petition requires another government
agency's involvement with every gun purchase.

Other new gun control laws proposed in the petition include:

Licensing of all gun buyers by the appropriate law enforcement agency prior
to purchase. Currently, a license is not required.
Registration of firearms by gun dealers to allow law enforcement agencies to
identify the owner of the gun in the event of a crime. This concept met
opposition from gun owners and privacy advocates when NICS first was
implemented, as many were concerned the system would be used to create a gun
registry database.
Installation by gun manufacturers of safety devices on guns.
However well-meaning the proposal may be, Zelman compares its agenda to what
happened in the Weimar Republic, the German government that preceded the
Nazis.

"The Weimar Republic in 1928 registered all firearms," Zelman explained.
"They thought this was a nifty way to fight crime. Mr. Rosen is just a chip
off the old block of the Weimar Republic. He thinks by registering guns and
gun owners, that somehow he will eliminate criminals from obtaining
firearms. This is moronic thinking at its zenith. This will (only) set up a
tremendous money-making scheme for organized crime."

"Americans need to challenge the Jack Rosens of the world and ask them a
simple question," concluded Zelman. "Please tell me the name of a police
state that has an armed citizenry. No such police state exists."
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_exnews/19990917_xex_death_by_gov.shtml

Bard