-Caveat Lector-

>From The Independent (UK)

> REVEALED: HOW NAZIS STUBBED OUT SMOKING
>

> WHEN HITLER and Eva Braun committed suicide on 30 April 1945, a little ceremony
> was held at the Fuhrerbunker. Liberated at last from the tyrannical house rules,
> the residents lit up. Then they poured petrol on the corpses and set fire to
> them, too.
>
> Even by his own standards, Hitler's hatred of smoking was extraordinary. Braun,
> Joseph Goebbels and the other unfortunate addicts who shared a roof with the
> Fuhrer in the last days of the war had to sneak out into the smouldering ruins
> of Berlin for a few furtive drags. Braun covered up her guilty secret by chewing
> mints.
>
> Half a century later this first smoking ban at a public place seems enlightened,
> at least from an American perspective. A US scholar has assembled compelling
> evidence to prove that, largely because of Hitler's obsession, not only the
> bunker but wartime Germany as a whole was at least 20 years ahead of the rest of
> the world in nailing tobacco as the cause of lung cancer and in attempts to curb
> the filthy habit.
>
> The implications are enormous. Millions of people puffed on after the war,
> oblivious to the dangers. On proper medical advice, some might well have given
> up smoking and lived a good few years longer.
>
> A reappraisal of German medical science is also in order. The experiments of
> Josef Mengele and his ilk debased the work of an entire generation of German
> scientists. It has been assumed no worthwhile work was done by Third Reich
> biologists, so tainted were they all by their search for racial purity and
> related pseudo-science projects. The Nazis could build rockets - curing human
> ailments was not their forte.
>
> The historian Robert Proctor, author of The Nazi War on Cancer, explodes that
> myth, only to raise more questions: how did the knowledge gathered in the Third
> Reich become lost, and why did it take the medical establishments in Britain two
> decades and in the US even longer to rediscover it? Or did they know it all
> along?
>
> First, the evidence. It all goes back to the day the young Adolf Hitler chucked
> his last packet of cigarettes into the Danube. Smoking, he decided, was bad for
> him, and therefore bad for Germans. Tobacco was one of the first things he would
> try to wipe off the face of the Earth.
>
> Soon after he reached power, millions of posters proclaiming nicotine as "poison
> for the Aryan race" were printed. Measures were promulgated, restricting the
> sale of cigarettes to women, cutting soldiers' rations on the Eastern Front and
> banning smoking in cars, trains and buildings. Members of the Hitler Youth were
> drafted in to spread the message with their inimitable subtlety.
>
> At the same time, money was poured into research. A link between rising
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.