-Caveat Lector-

Subject: Global Peace Walk message/letter of support:
Date: Sunday, September 19, 1999 3:41 PM

From: Peace Through Reason,
Peace Park Antinuclear Vigil (White House)
To:  Global Peace Walk2000

We support the Global Peace Walk Project and thank Reverend Yusen Yamato
and David Crockett Williams for their prayer walk from California to the
White House and United Nations, seeking and teaching the global abolition
of nuclear weapons -- testing, wastes, and other dangers.

We agree that it adds strength to the nuclear abolition movement to unite
all survival issues together under a prayer for "Global Peace Now!"  We
also support the idea of a Global Peace and Environment Platform for
candidates in the Year 2000 U.S. National elections.

The world we all live in is the product of ideas, individual and collective.
 For too long humanity's time, energy, "money," have been funneled into
rotten ideas.  This situation can be changed if we spend our energy and
resources on PRACTICAL concepts, and transform the deadly
"military-industrial complex" President Eisenhower warned about into
self-sustaining, environment- and neighbor-friendly industries.  (See
http://prop1.org/convert/convpro.htm.)

We are very encouraged that DC Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton has
again introduced into Congress HR-2545, the Nuclear Disarmament and
Economic Conversion Act of 1999, which calls on the U.S. to commit to
global nuclear disarmament, and to redirect weapons funding to peaceful
purposes such as housing, health care, education, food, and environmental
restoration.  See http://prop1.org/prop1/hr2545.htm.  This bill was first
submitted, in 1994, as the result of a successful Washington, DC ballot
initiative (#37, 1993), which asked the mayor to advise our Congresswoman
that the majority of the voters wanted her to introduce it.

We hope that Global Peace Walk2000 will help alert the people in America
and around the world to this great opportunity, which only needs adequate
public support to be made into law in the U.S. ... and thence around the
world.  (See suggestions, and text of bill, below.)

Your efforts can be very helpful.  Thank you for carrying and sharing the
idea of eliminating nuclear weapons while walking to Washington DC.

We'd certainly like to see the materialization of your vision of gathering
over a million people around the Washington Monument on October 12, 2000;
let us know what we can do to help.  We'll be waiting to welcome you when
you arrive on October 9, 2000.  We'll forward your appeal to the Mayor  and
 City Council for a proclamation that Washington DC should be a Global
Peace Zone.

Meanwhile, send us press clippings and commentary about your walk across
the country, and we'll help by posting updates on our website
(http://prop1.org), and to our extensive list of email subscribers.   We'll
also help you and other subscribers to keep up to date on what's happening,
good and bad, on our mother, Earth. See http://prop1.org/nucnews/nucnews.htm

W.Thomas
Ellen Thomas

and other members of the Vigil
(see http://prop1.org/parkcurr.htm)

      --------------------------------------

              WHAT YOU CAN DO
To Help Rid the World of Nuclear Weapons

               WORLD CITIZENS
        (this means EVERYBODY!):

* Write the United Nations Ambassadors for all countries with nuclear
weapons (Britain, China, France, Israel, India, Pakistan, Russia, United
States) and those suspected of wanting nuclear weapons (such as North
Korea, Iraq, Iran). Write c/o U.N. Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA, and say,
"Please promise, and use your influence to convince all nuclear powers to
publicly promise, 'YES, we will eliminate all our nuclear weapons, if
everyone
else does.' Don't quit until the job is done!"

* Call (202-225-3121) AND write Members of the U.S. House of
Representatives (Washington, DC 20015); ask them to release HR-2545, the
"Nuclear Disarmament and Economic Conversion Act," to the full House of
Representatives for debate and vote.

Please tell the U.S. House of Representatives "Armed  Services" and
"International Relations" Committees  that it's undemocratic to withhold
this important legislation from the rest of their colleagues. (You can
write c/o U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, DC 20515, USA -- or
call via the Congressional switchboard: 202-225-3121 -- or e-mail via our
Lobby Center (http://prop1.org/prop1/letter.htm).)

* Call, write and email President Clinton; ask him to actively endorse
HR-2545. The President's address:

White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC 20500;
Phone - 202-426-1111-0 (hotline operator); email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED])

* Organize a meeting in your area. Print and circulate petitions
(http://prop1.org/prop1/petition.htm); be sure to ask for e-mail addresses;
mail them to us!

* Educate yourself and others! (http://prop1.org/prop1/question.htm)

* Subscribe to NucNews! (http://prop1.org/nucnews/nucnews.htm)

* Submit to your local press letters and articles about the need for
HR-2545 to become international law. Call radio talk shows, etc.
(http://prop1.org/2000/media98.htm).

* Publicize Proposition One in your organization's publication. Spread the
word to other activists who might be interested in helping with the idea and
legislation. Please ask them to put us on their mail and e-mail lists.

* Please send us copies of your letters to editors or congresspeople, and
any
articles or letters that result, for the Proposition One archives!.

U.S. RESIDENTS:

Ask your Representative to co-sponsor DC Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton's
bill, and your Senators to sponsor similar legislation in the Senate.

If your politicians and media are unresponsive to letters, phone calls, and
visits, start your own voter initiative campaign. Sure, you can do it! We
did!

If your community has no voter initiative provisions, lobby your state
legislators to establish that right. Then USE that right to make your world
a safer, saner place. Please?

Call, write or email us to brainstorm how.

Peace Park Crew
PO Box 27217, Washington DC 20038
202-462-0757 (fax 202-265-5389) - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://prop1.org

---------------

http://prop1.org/prop1/prop1.htm

H. R. 2545 - A BILL
106th CONGRESS, 1st Session,
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
July 16, 1999

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the "Nuclear Disarmament and Economic Conversion
Act of 1999".

SEC 2. REQUIREMENT FOR NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT AND ECONOMIC
CONVERSION.
The United States Government shall--
(1) disable and dismantle all its nuclear weapons and refrain from
replacing them at any time with any weapons of mass destruction;
(2) redirect resources that are currently being used for nuclear weapons
programs to use-
    (A) in converting all nuclear weapons industry employees, processes,
plants, and programssmoothly to constructive, ecologically beneficial
peacetime activities during the 3 years following the effective date of
this Act, and
    (B) in addressing human and infrastructure needs such as housing,
health care, education, agriculture, and enviromnental restoration;
(3) undertake vigorous good faith efforts to eliminate war, armed conflict,
and all military operations; and
(4) actively promote policies to induce all other countries to join in
these commitments for world peace and security.

SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
This Act shall take effect when the President certifies to the Congress
that all foreign countries possessing nuclear weapons have established
legal requirements comparable to those set forth in section 2 and those
requirements have taken effect.

* Peace Through Reason - http://prop1.org -Convert the War Machines! *