Interviewed by Barry Lituchy, Joe Friendly, Ayman El-Sayed, Ken Freeland,
Jeff Goldberg and Gregory Elich,
members of the North American Solidarity with Yugoslavia Delegation

Belgrade, August 9, 1999

[CONTINUATION]

[Lituchy] Would you tell us what your name is, what town you're from, and
what your occupation and position is?

[Seholi] My name is Fatmir Seholi. I am from Podujevo. I was the chief
editor at Radio Television Pristina, and I
work in public relations for the Kosovo Democratic Initiative.

[Lituchy] So you have worked as a journalist in Kosovo for a number of
years, and worked in radio and print
journalism. Would you tell us a little about the type of media that was
available for the Albanian population in
Kosovo?

[Seholi] I must point out that the Albanian people had more media than did
the Serbian people. In Kosovo, you
could find only one newspaper in the Serbian language, but you could find
about 65 newspapers in the Albanian
language.

[Lituchy] Did you go to Pristina University?

[Seholi] Yes.

[Lituchy] In what language were your courses while you were at the
university?

[Seholi] In the Albanian language.

[Koteska] You can study in your own language, and don't think that in the
United States, Albanians can study in their
own language. So, where is democracy in America?

[Lituhcy] Are you aware that in America, the television and radio and
newspapers were regularly saying that
Albanians have no rights in Yugoslavia or Kosovo, and that they are without
rights? Are you aware of that?

[Seholi] I think that America did not have the right information about
Albanian people in Kosovo, or did not want to
get the correct information about the rights of Albanian people in Kosovo.

[Lituchy] But that information that was inaccurate was very important in
allowing the United States to carry out the
war against Yugoslavia.

[Seholi] I am Albanian, and I studied at the university in the Albanian
language, and that should be sufficient indication
that Albanian people had rights in Kosovo.

[Lituchy] Are you now in political exile from Kosovo?

[Seholi] Until I arrived here as a refugee, I worked as chief editor at
Radio Television Pristina, in the Albanian
language. I spoke with KFOR about a peaceful solution for problems in
Kosovo.

[El-Sayed] Did the United States create the KLA?

[Seholi] The KLA received great support from America and Germany. According
to information from our secret
service, they created the KLA. The question is, why did they create the KLA?
You came from the United States,
and you know that they want to have controlling influence in all countries.
Until the NATO bombing, I loved and
sympathized with democracy in the United States. After studying some facts
about democracy in the United States,
and about negotiations, I've learned that there is no democracy in the
United States. The United States was the
leading country against terrorism, but in our case, the United States
supported and still supports KLA terrorism in
Kosovo. Two years ago, on a night in January 1997, the KLA killed my father.
He was called a "traitor" and killed
only because he supported Yugoslavia and the Serbian government, not the KLA
regime. He loved living with all
ethnic groups in Kosovo.

[Lituchy] What was his name?

[Seholi] Malic Seholi.

[Lituchy] And how old was he when he was killed?

[Seholi] He was 51 years old.

[Lituchy] Do you know who killed him? The names of the people?

[ Seholi] The KLA told us that they did that.

[Lituchy] The KLA themselves said that they did that?

[Koteska] Yes, yes.

[Seholi] The KLA said that they killed more than one thousand people because
they were not Albanian, because
they wanted Kosovo to remain in Yugoslavia, and because they supported the
Yugoslav government. And that
doesn't even mention how many members of the army KLA soldiers killed.

[Lituchy] Who else from your family was injured or killed by the KLA?

[Seholi] Two of my brothers. About two weeks ago, two of my brothers were
tortured by the KLA, in Podujevo.

[Lituchy] What happened to them after that?

[Seholi] After they had beaten them, they let them go home. But they must
call them every day at 10:00 AM.

[Lituchy] Call whom?

[Koteska] The KLA.

[Lituchy] They have to call the KLA?

[Koteska] Yes, yes.

[Seholi] The commander of the KLA in Podujevo. I don't recall his name, but
before the war, he was a bus
conductor.

[El-Sayed] Do you know what torture methods the KLA use?

[Seholi] What more do you want? They are killing people. They killed them by
strangulation, and by torture.

[Koteska] In some places were found their torture implements. These were
like those used by the Inquisition
centuries ago. I think the Inquisition would say, 'Oh these new methods are
better.'

[Lituchy] Why did they begin to torture them two weeks ago? What was the
reason?

[Seholi] Because they stayed in Kosovo, and still support the Yugoslav
government. Also because they worked in
our government.

[Lituchy] So in other words, the KLA will not allow anybody to live in
Kosovo who doesn't agree with them?

[Seholi] Yes, exactly.

[Lituchy] Where was KFOR?

[Seholi] KFOR was in Podujevo. KFOR was in Podujevo while the KLA was
threatening my two brothers. The
KLA commander of Podujevo walks every day on the streets, armed, and KFOR
does nothing. Almost every day
he is drunk, firing a rifle in the air.

[Lituchy] Which sector is this in? The American sector?

[Seholi] British and American.

[Goldberg] Does anyone willingly join the KLA?

[Seholi] I think that many join because they are forced to do so. If someone
refuses to join, he is tortured or killed.
They used to say, "They vanished. Nobody knows where they are." People value
their lives, so it is better to join the
KLA than be killed.

[Lituchy] Would you tell us about the day you left Kosovo, what day that
was, what happened?

[Seholi] I left Kosovo on June 28th. That day I went to my job, as usual.
The day before I spoke with Major
Kennedy, from KFOR. I spoke with him about the return of Albanian people to
the office, to work with Serbian and
other non-Albanian people.

[Lituchy] And then what happened?

[Seholi] On that day, we formed a commission to plan programming for Radio
Television Pristina for the next five
months. We had a good agreement. Representatives from KFOR and the United
Nations also attended this meeting.
The delegation of Albanian people wanted to change the name of the station,
not to call it Pristina, but to call it Radio
Television Kosova. But KFOR, the United Nations, and our delegation members
would not agree to that demand.
We agreed that the next meeting would be the following day, at 10:00 AM. We
arrived at the office the next day at
9:00 AM. About three or four thousand Albanian people gathered in front of
the station at 9:30. Neither
representatives from KFOR nor from the United Nations appeared at the 10:00
meeting. At 10:15 AM, a group of
three or four hundred Albanians forced their way into the station, and they
smashed all the windows and equipment
they could. Many employees were threatened and beaten by these intruders.
Major Kennedy of KFOR arrived at
10:30 AM, and shouted at the crowd, but in such a manner that it was clear
he was merely acting. He invited three
representatives from the crowd inside for negotiations. After ten minutes
one man came into our office and he told us
someone had placed a bomb in the station, so we must leave. Because of the
danger, all but 15 employees left the
building. I was one of those who remained behind. The KFOR major and a
Russian representative from the United
Nations wanted us to leave the building because a bomb was planted in the
building and they did not want to risk
lives. They took us out and brought us through the crowd of four thousand. I
have to say that when we left the
building, before we entered a KFOR car, the crowd had shouted some rough
things. I cannot repeat what these
hooligans yelled. I couldn't go to my home, because it was possible I might
be killed. I could not see my own
children. I want to thank KFOR because they escorted us to the border. It is
a hard story.

[Kotestka] He left Kosovo without anything.

[Seholi] I know now that KFOR and the United Nations arranged all of this.
There was no bomb in that building.
After NATO bombing stopped, I went with [temporary UN special representative
for Kosovo] Sergio de Mello to
visit Kosovo, and we visited almost every part of Kosovo. The trip lasted
five days. We visited almost every village
and city in Kosovo, and we saw what damage resulted from NATO bombing, and
what damage resulted from
gangs. I want to point out that Mr. Sergio de Mello seemed disinterested in
damage from NATO bombing in
Kosovo. Mostly Albanian people died due to NATO bombing. In just one strike
from NATO in the village of
Korisa, they killed 105 people. Mr. de Mello wasn't interested.

[Koteska] You know that most of those people were little children, women,
and old men.

[Lituchy] What did you leave behind in Kosovo?

[Seholi] My mother and my two brothers.

[Lituchy] Have you heard from them since you left?

[Seholi] Yes.

[Lituchy] Are they safe?

[Seholi] The KLA's secret police visited my flat three times, and removed
all of my possessions that they could.

[Lituchy] What do you think the future is for anyone in Kosovo?

[Seholi] It is very difficult at this moment to talk of the future. I think
that the powerful Western countries have their
own plans for Kosovo.

[El-Sayed] Do you think that KFOR is trying to make other nationalities flee
Kosovo, but make believe that they are
protecting them?

[Seholi] KFOR's task is also to protect people. KFOR has about 40,000
soldiers in Kosovo, and they agreed to
have about 2,000 Yugoslav soldiers and police. If they want a safe Kosovo,
and 40,000 of their soldiers cannot do
that, how could 2,000 of our soldiers do so? I think the future of Kosovo is
as part of democratic Yugoslavia. Our
party stands by those things that make life better. Every man wants a happy
and good life, but the KLA's political
program has a different goal. Your mission as a delegation is to show the
people of the world the truth about
Yugoslavia. I support that with all my heart.

[Lituchy] Thank you, but -

[Freeland] Following up this question of the bombing of Albanians inside of
Kosovo, did you notice a trend of more
of them being bombed earlier in the bombing vs. later in the bombing? In
other words, an attempt to get them to flee,
to make it seem like something else was going on, but that later in the war
there was not so much bombing of
Albanians?

[Seholi] In every case, Albanians get hurt from all sides, but mainly from
NATO bombing. More than 300 Albanians
were killed by NATO bombings.

[El-Sayed] Do you think that NATO bombed Albanians purposely, to make them
leave? And then later they
stopped bombing because they had left already?

[Seholi] Every NATO bombing was a big problem. There was no purpose relating
to the Serbian nation or the
Albanian nation. Whether that was their purpose or not, people were killed.
The man who could command NATO
to bomb people is not human. He is an animal. After the bombing at
Djakovica, I saw decapitated bodies. I have
pictures of that. It is horrible, terrible. I saw people without arms,
without feet.

[Koteska] And not only men. When you see babies, the baby did not half of
her body. Or you can see the mother is
dead, and the little baby is crying. The baby does not know that the mother
was killed.

[CONTINUED...]

http://www.iacenter.org/elich3.htm

Secretary General