-Caveat Lector-

The Enduring Spirit Of A Dissident Senator
By Norman Solomon
The black-and-white TV footage is grainy and faded, but it still jumps off
the screen -- a portentous clash between a prominent reporter and a maverick
politician.

Thirty-five years ago, on the CBS program "Face the Nation," journalist Peter
Lisagor argued with a senator who stood almost alone on Capitol Hill,
strongly opposing the war in Vietnam from the outset.

"Senator, the Constitution gives to the president of the United States the
sole responsibility for the conduct of foreign policy," Lisagor said.

"Couldn't be more wrong," Wayne Morse broke in. "You couldn't make a more
unsound legal statement than the one you have just made. This is the
promulgation of an old fallacy that foreign policy belongs to the president
of the United States. That's nonsense."

Lisagor: "To whom does it belong then, senator?"

Morse: "It belongs to the American people. ... And I am pleading that the
American people be given the facts about foreign policy."

Lisagor: "You know, senator, that the American people cannot formulate and
execute foreign policy."

Morse: "Why do you say that? ... I have complete faith in the ability of the
American people to follow the facts if you'll give them. And my charge
against my government is -- we're not giving the American people the facts."

In early August 1964, Morse was one of only two senators to vote against the
Tonkin Gulf resolution, which served as a green light for the Vietnam War.
While reviled by much of the press in his home state of Oregon as well as
nationwide, he persisted with fierce oratory for peace. It would have been
much easier to acquiesce to the media's war fever. But Morse was not the
silent type, especially in matters of conscience.

On Feb. 27, 1968, I sat in a small room at the Capitol to watch a hearing of
the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Six members of the panel were seated
around a long table. Most of all, I remember Morse's voice, raspy and urgent.

"My views are no longer lonely," he noted at one point, adding: "You have
millions of people who are not going to support this tyranny that American
boys are being killed in South Vietnam to maintain in power."

Morse summed up his position on negotiations between the U.S. government and
its Vietnamese adversaries: "Who are we to say there have to be two Vietnams?
They are not going to do it and they shouldn't do it. There isn't any reason
in the world why the North Vietnamese and the Vietcong should ever come to a
negotiating table on the basis that there must be two Vietnams."

Moments before the hearing adjourned, Morse said that he did not "intend to
put the blood of this war on my hands."

At the time, Oregon's senior senator was remarkable because he challenged the
morality -- not just the "winability" -- of the war. He passionately asserted
that the United States had no right to impose its will on the world. In the
process, he made enemies of many fellow Democrats, including President Lyndon
Johnson.

Like most heretics, Morse suffered consequences. After 24 years in the
Senate, he lost a race for re-election in November 1968. The winner was a
slick politician named Robert Packwood, who denounced Morse's anti-war
fervor.

In his lifetime, Morse became a media pariah. In the quarter-century since
his death, political reporters have rarely mentioned his name.

But a vivid new documentary, premiering this fall, will allow viewers to see
and hear for themselves. Produced by independent filmmakers Christopher
Houser and Robert Millis, "The Last Angry Man" chronicles the extraordinary
efforts and intrepid spirit of Wayne Morse.

The one-hour movie (summarized at www.squaredeal.net) includes stunning
excerpts from speeches and interviews that convey the fortitude and courage
of a senator who put principle above politics.

"I don't know why we think, just because we're mighty, that we have the right
to try to substitute might for right," Morse said on national television in
1964. "And that's the American policy in Southeast Asia -- just as unsound
when we do it as when Russia does it."

Three years later, he declared: "We're going to become guilty, in my
judgment, of being the greatest threat to the peace of the world. It's an
ugly reality, and we Americans don't like to face up to it. I hate to think
of the chapter of American history that's going to be written in the future
in connection with our outlawry in Southeast Asia."

Such heresy infuriated many powerful politicians -- and journalists -- while
Wayne Morse did all he could to block a war train speeding to catastrophe.

Norman Solomon's new book is "The Habits of Highly Deceptive Media."