-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Gerry McGovern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 5:37 AM
Subject: New Thinking: Be A Heretic!

NEW THINKING  NEW THINKING  NEW THINKING  NEW THINKING  NEW THINKING
Free weekly email contributing to a philosophy for The Digital Age
By Gerry McGovern   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Web: http://www.nua.ie
September 20th 1999   Published By: Nua Limited   Volume 4 Number 38
HONG KONG TV PROGRAMME WILL FEATURE NUA
RTHK, one of Hong Kong's largest radio and TV stations, filmed in
Nua's Dublin office on Wednesday, September 15th, interviewing Nua's
CEO, Gerry McGovern. The current boom in the Irish economy,
particularly in the technical and Internet industries, is
exciting a great deal of interest in Hong Kong. Like Ireland, Hong
Kong is a small island with a technically educated population.
RTHK's programme will explore what's driving the Irish boom, and
hopes to identify some lessons that might be learned by Hong Kong
businesses. The programme, which will feature several leading
Irish companies, will be aired on October 11th.

RTHK Homepage
http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/index.htm

THE CARING ECONOMY
The Caring Economy, by Gerry McGovern, is published by Blackhall
Publishing of 26 Eustace Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.
ISBN 1-901657-61-2 Price £27.50 or US$35.95
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It is also available in the United States from Irish Books &
Media, 1433 East Franklin Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55404-2135.
Call toll-free (800) 229-3505

BUY THE BOOK FROM THE CARING ECONOMY WEBSITE
http://www.thecaringeconomy.com/buy

For further information please contact Mary Gorman
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

BE A HERETIC!

The more I think about it the more I am certain that we all need a
new way of thinking. Even though the Internet economy began six
years ago, it often feels that it hasn't really even begun. And
it's not that everything will fundamentally change, but rather
that everything we know is either undergoing or about to undergo a
period of revolutionary change. Someday, things will settle again
and when they do the landscape will be surprisingly similar to what
we had before the revolution. Business will be business and
customers will buy from producers and producers will sell to
customers. Value will be value and quality will be quality.

For now, though, we have this war of change, where we are all
being shunted and pushed about. We look at it all and can be
forgiven for believing that the world is about to shift off its
axis. Oh, the world will still go around no matter what the next
Internet IPO fetches. But having said that, we need to embrace the
heretic and shift off our axis, if only momentarily, so that we
can see the world without glasses clouded with old certainties.

Civilisation strives towards order. Most of society thrives on
order. But all societies and economies need to regenerate
themselves. Otherwise, they become staid, non-creative and
non-competitive. Regeneration is never easy. It can require a
major jolt. It is heretics who often give that jolt by preaching
their crazy notions, by laughing at what everyone else honours
and obeys. It's the heretic who can offer that transforming hand,
and in so doing they become the unsung champion and hero.

The heretic is so often hated by those who cling to the old order.
They have come to see themselves and the old order as one entity.
They cannot imagine another way. Too many people in positions of
power are clinging tenaciously to the old order today. At best,
they think that the world has gone crazy and that no sane and
truly powerful person would listen to the heretic and their
views.

I heard Andy Grove, chairman of Intel, talk like a heretic today.
He told us that Intel cannot secure its future anymore by being
simply a product company. That it must embrace service and that
it has an awful lot to learn before it becomes an efficient
product and service company. Over the weekend, I read about Jack
Welsh, head of General Electric, who has got Internet. The word
is that Welsh is telling GE in no uncertain terms to embrace the
Internet or else it has no future.

All over the world the heretics are out and about, questioning,
questioning, questioning. Nothing is safe from their probing and
nothing should be safe. We all need to become the heretic. If
only for one day a month, we need to absolutely believe that
everything we so believe to be true is wrong, and that everything
we so believe to be wrong is true. We may end up believing the
very same things, but without the ability to think the
unthinkable, the unthinkable just might happen to us.

Gerry McGovern
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If you have enjoyed New Thinking, please consider telling somebody
else about it.
For New thinking archives, please go to:
<http://www.nua.ie/newthinking/archives/index.html>
NUA PRIVACY POLICY

Nua respects absolutely the privacy of every person visiting our
website or receiving one of our email publications. Nua has created
a privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to
your privacy, and the high value we place on your quality feedback.

For the full privacy statement:
<http://www.nua.ie/about/privacy.html>

MAKING FREE INFORMATION PAY

At Nua we've built our company on the principle of 'making free
information pay.' We hope you have enjoyed our newsletters and that
you find them useful. We think it's great that we
reach 150,000 of you every week and that our subscriber base
continues to grow.

Could you do us a favour? If you like our newsletters and if they
have indeed been useful to you, could you tell us about it? Could
you write to us in a paragraph or two and tell us what you like
about Nua and/or our newsletters. (Could you also please send
some brief biographical information on yourself?)

We'd like to use such quotes on our website and in marketing and
advertising material, so please specify if for whatever reason you
do not wish us to use your quote in this way.

Please send your quotes to:
Oriana Lo Iacono
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

NUA INTERNET SURVEYS
http://www.nua.ie/surveys

LOCAL IRELAND
A local heart with a global beat
<http://www.local.ie>

SPONSORSHIP
While New Thinking will always remain free to the subscriber, Nua is
willing to talk to interested parties with regard to sponsorship.
Contact Mary Gorman
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

COPYRIGHT
Where the work is by Gerry McGovern, you are actively encouraged to
distribute and/or re-publish an individual piece, once proper credit
and subscription details are given. Where the work is by another
author, the work may be freely distributed in its full email
format, but if it is to be published in another format, express
permission of the author must be received.

SUBSCRIBING TO NEW THINKING
Send an email to:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
with the word subscribe in the body of the message. An automatic
acknowledgement should be returned to you by e-mail within a few
minutes.

UNSUBSCRIBING
Send an email to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
with the word
unsubscribe
in the body of the message.

(Please remember to unsubscribe using the *exact* email address you
subscribed with.)

TECHNICAL PROBLEMS
If you are having any technical problems, please email:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       The Caring Economy - Gerry's new book
          http://www.thecaringeconomy.com
Gerry McGovern | ceo | e: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For education news, views and weekly 'education update' email
http://www.local.ie/education_and_learning/ _______________________
Nua/local ireland | dublin | new york | http://www.local.ie
http://www.nua.ie    t: +353 1 676 8996  f: +353 1 283 9988