-Caveat Lector-

-----Original Message-----
From: Lucy176 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 11:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [FW: [CTRL] Fw: The Showdown on Hwy. 78]

Frans,

This is exactly how police respond to reports of people with guns. Anyone
who
is unaware of that either has never read the newspaper or tuned in the
nightly
news, but Nancy has, by report. So why did she THINK she was being pulled
over, if not because of the gun?

The police responding to such a report do not stroll casually up to someone
and say, "Hey -- I got a report that you have a gun, that's a no-no, please
give it to me." They USUALLY approach with their weapons ready to use, and
demand that the SUSPECT [via report] freeze, then comply with the rules of
arrest.

Resisting arrest under these circumstances carries its own risks. Especially
if you take off and start a "chase," something else that has annoyed
regionals
sufficiently to get stiffer laws passed regarding this method of resisting
arrest passed. Maybe she thinks those laws are also unconstitutional.

To carry an unloaded weapon for the purpose of "protection" runs three
risks:

1 -- Creating a scene like this one is a NEW wrinkle -- there are in fact
plenty of arrests made regarding weapons in vehicles that do not result in
this kind of mess.

2 -- Getting shot by an armed party who has a LOADED weapon

3 -- Being relieved of your unloaded weapon by a previously unarmed criminal
who can now arm himself as easily as buying and loading ammo.

As I stated before, a gun has no USE whatever EXCEPT to kill in defense.

The proper weapon for the kind of encounter this woman had is definitely NOT
gun.

Mace, which you CAN get a permit to carry and use, will work perfectly well.
know plenty of little old ladies who carry mace.

The short end of a baseball bat in the windpipe -- another good defensive
weapon you can legally carry in a vehicle.

EITHER would be an appropriate weapon to use against anyone opening your car
door for you who wasn't your date. My coworker has already demonstrated that
even a common ballpoint pen will serve well if you're assaulted.

Nancy apparently knew that having a gun in your car is not legal.

She "forgot she was in California"? But "couldn't forget more recent stories
..."?

Come on! How stupid IS this woman, anyhow?

Selective amnesia as well as being dumb enough to carry an unloaded GUN?

California is even "worse" than someone who feels DIRECTLY intimidated
calling
911 to report someone with a gun.

This report didn't say she took it out of her glove compartment for the
occasion, so apparently she DRIVES with it on her lap?

A TRUCKER PASSING HER AND NOTICING THIS would be as likely to call 911 as
anyone else, if it was noticed.

TOTAL FALLACY IN THE REPORT: Most hardcore criminals do NOT fear the "armed"
citizen [most especially not armed females] because they know all too well
that most weapons in the hands of the Janets of the world are NOT loaded and
that those that are are LIKELIEST in the hands of someone who will be afraid
to pull the trigger.

The police, on the other hand, get shot frequently enough responding to
calls
of domestic violence where NO weapons are reported that they NEVER make the
assumption that a weapon is not loaded if one is reported to be in the
possession of a suspect.

That Nancy pulled over and took off again merely fortified her position as a
"suspect".

And dumber than most.

What was she doing, heading for the Arizona/New Mexico border for a possibly
more sympathetic police department? From San Diego, she'd have to stop
somewhere for gas, and that would be that.

I suppose she thought the cops would just say, "Oh well, this one got a head
start, let's call in and say the suspect fled and we felt because she was an
elderly woman with no significant trouble with the police we should just let
her go"?

It did not occur to her that when she got on a highway, police would ask
assistance from the Highway Patrol?

That the police in other cities along the highway would not be called when
she
crossed a jurisdictional boundary?

That the county police would say "Ho, hum, why should we risk our lives
chasing a woman merely reported to have a gun? And probably does, or else
why
would she be fleeing?"

That if it went on long enough, no one would call SWAT?

That all those subsequent calls would come from the police, who now had
POSITIVE reason to suspect she did indeed have a gun in her car, or else why
would she have taken off, would go without a RESPONSE?

All she accomplished was to provide ample probable cause to believe she was
ARMED and NO REASON WHATEVER to believe she was armed with an UNLOADED
weapon.

The reason the cops at Rampart were able to get away with their shit for as
long as they did was that they were targeting gang members. Gang members are
the beloved of no one except fellow members and sometimes [not always] their
mothers and wives. The fondest wish of a goodly number of Los Angelenos is
that the gangs would kill each other off, all on the same day, and be gone
for
good. The most common gripe is that they can't aim their guns well enough to
accomplish that, the ultimate characture of that gripe spelled out in the
movie "Falling Down," when the driveby took down every person on the street
EXCEPT DeFens, including the perps via a car collision. [I have been robbed
3
times at gunpint by gang members, but I fortunately missed the driveby
shooting at the bus stop where my coworker almost got hit because I worked
overtime that night.]

But sometimes the caricature is wrong. Two girls about 14 years old were
sitting next to me on the bus YESTERDAY, discussing the shooting death of a
friend's boyfriend. "It was supposed to be a driveby, he was in the gang."
That membership absolved the shooter of blame in their eyes, and the shooter
wasn't a cop. AND NO, FRANS, that the shooter from a different gang might be
responsible for anything serious never occurred to either girl. They were in
fact down on their girlfriend for going with a member of the "wrong" gang.
Justifiable homicide, in their book. And yes, kids as young as 13 just kill
each other for fun here.

What the corrupt cops at Rampart did is worse than what the people they
"took
off the streets" did, by a long shot. At least there is no report that any
were accused of mrdering or attempting to murder a handcuffed victim.

Any prosecutor worth the name will seek the death penalty and any jury
worthy
of the name will see they get it -- FORMALLY, not taking the near 100%
chance
of being killed in prison route.

But back to our stalwart heroine, who believes that unloaded guns are a good
thing to carry to protect oneself, especially in a motor vehicle.

What DID she expect to accomplish, fleeing arrest, Frans?

Because she was NOT engaged in "lawful defiance."

She was very clearly RESISTING ARREST, which is not the same thing at all.

Maybe she just "wasn't thinking" at all? Just "reacting" to having a
known-to-be-loaded gun in the vicinity?

Again, if it was a hardcore criminal, her chances would be zip. And not
every
policeman is a criminal by a LONG shot, Frans.

Bravo she has a lawyer to defend her free of charge with rhetoric.

Because she has no LAW to stand on against the charges, rhetoric is ALL
she's
got for defense.

She was carring a gun in a motor vehicle, and resisted arrest when a
complaint
regarding that was filed. If the gun is not registered, that's another
violation of LAW. The complainant felt intimidated, that's another charge --
the only one likely to be dropped, actually. What the other 3 felonies might
be, who knows?

IF SHE DEMANDS A SPEEDY TRIAL, the lawyer may just pull it off! Unless
someone
stalled in traffic that day sneaks on to the jury, in which case she's a
goner.

If I were in the defendant's shoes, I would CERTAINLY demand a speedy trial,
while the LAPD is under fire for unlawfully reducing gang membership and no
one has yet forgotten the lady who was blown away for sitting in a car with
gun in view in her lap, even though those events occurred farther north.
That
way her paranoia might actually manage to get some of the charges dropped,
leaving only unlawful possession of a fiearm and carrying a firearm in
vehicle
to contend with.

But I'll ask again: what possible good comes from having an unloaded gun in
your possession ANYWHERE?

And what was this woman EXPECTING, in California or any other state except
maybe Texas or New Mexico or Arizona?

All citizens oughta arm themselves? Maybe. Maybe not.

See, Ms. Road Enraged is also a citizen with some notion that her life or
property were threatened by Nancy. Right, wrong, indifferent -- she has that
notion, follows her, accosts her in her vehicle.

She has words with Nancy, and makes an aggressive move, spies a GUN in
Nancy's
possession.

Now:

Suppose Ms. Road Enraged, instead of running away, pulled her own LOADED .45
out of her purse and shot our heroine at this point-blank range?

Or was the gun in this "victim's" car actually in hand, pointed at "the
door"
[at that range, just as effective as pointing it at the woman], discouraging
such a response, rather than just "there" as a deterrent?

See, Ms. Enraged's weapon would have to be in her purse, inaccessible, for
that unloaded weapon in Nancy's lap to be a deterrent to use of a LOADED
weapon.

Because if it was in her pocket instead of her purse, loaded, getting off
the
first shot would be extremely prudent, under the circumstances, having
already
committed aggravated assault with some verbal intimidation [maybe] and
opening
the door.

If Ms. Road Enraged was armed with a loaded gun, tit for tat concealing the
weapon until the time to "reveal" it was right, our heroine would likely be
stone dead or seriously wounded [at which point Ms. Enraged would have
crossed
the line from citizen to criminal].

Instead, the "evil" police exercised lawful restraint, regardless of
firepower
brought to bear on the situation.

Nancy is still short of sympathy from me for merely illustrating for the
millionth time why it is patently stupid to carry an UNloaded gun,
ESPECIALLY
in a motor vehicle.

Yes, I like this one, Frans.

Nancy is alive because the police DIDN'T shoot her, even the SWAT cowboys
didn't shoot her.

Even though she was behaving like your average stupid bank robber doing the
highway chase bit.

And be real. The reason water had to be brought to stranded motorists on
Highway 78 was that a woman carrying a gun in her car refused to own up to
the
CONSEQUENCES of breaking well-known laws after providing a goodly number of
police agencies ample cause to believe she was armed and POSSIBLY dangerous.

She started it.

She got the media out there taking a chase to a highway, now she's unhappy
the
"media" "analyzed" her unkindly? Because she was ordered from her car at
gunpoint by the police and wouldn't get out of her car when there was only 1
or 2 cops, had to stir up this scene to protect herself? Meanwhile,
endangered
babes in arms, etc.?

What did she expect, Frans?

As I mentioned, my dad always had a loaded gun in the glove compartment.

He consequently kept the registration for the vehicles he owned on the sun
visor.

I'll bet when she scared Ms. Enraged off, she put her toy back exactly where
she would have to reveal it to show proof of registration and insurance.
Certainly she didn't carry it into the burger joint, or THEY would have
called
911. Or maybe she just tucked in under her seat or her shawl?

Guns are NOT toys.

The Nancies of this world persist in treating them like toys.

They don't qualify as martyrs to any cause in my book, LEAST of all the
right
to bear arms in defense of life and property.

People like this woman are right up there in my book with the "hunters" who
need 80 rounds to kill a deer.

Don't ever kid yourself they are not "dangerous."

Any number of people MIGHT have suffered a lot worse than dehydration on
account of this woman's stupidity and failure to own up to her
RESPONSIBILITY
for at least 2 laws the same day.

What did she EXPECT?

She expected to be shot and killed by the police, that is what she expected.

There is no way she could possibly believe that she would not be PURSUED!
when
she fled arrest.

Now she's disappointed that something else happened!

She expected to be shot and killed by the police, and go down as a victim
because even though she had a gun, it wasn't loaded.

It didn't go down that way.

What a letdown that must be.