-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mark Graffis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: N.Y. spraying raises health concerns
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:22:06 -0500 (CDT)

    Friday, September 17, 1999

    By Margot Higgins

    As New York City concluded its first-round assault Wednesday on
    mosquitoes carrying the St. Louis encephalitis virus, many people were
    raising concerns about possible health risks associated with
    blanketing the city in Malathion, sprayed from trucks and helicopters.

    In 1997-98, similar spraying operations took place in Florida to
    combat Mediterranean fruit flies and the procedure was blamed for
    hundreds of health complaints in Hillsborough and neighboring
    counties.

    Federal and city officials have assured the public that the pesticide
    is harmless, noting that Malathion has been used for more than four
    decades to kill mosquitoes and other insects around the world. The
    operations were approved by Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

    At a news conference Sept. 9, commissioner of the New York City
    Department of Health, Neal Cohen said, "the substance to be sprayed
    this evening, Malathion, is the most widely used insecticide for
    aerial mosquito control in the United States. It poses virtually no
    risk to humans and pets."

    St. Louis encephalitis is transmitted from mosquitoes to humans. But
    Cohen also warned, "New York City residents who live in the areas
    being sprayed are advised to be inside this evening during spraying
    activities, with air conditioners turned off or with the exhaust set
    so that air exits the homes. Although adverse health effects are
    remote, avoiding exposure will lessen the risk of any reactions, which
    may include eye irritation, rash and respiratory problems. "

    If treated, encephalitis isn't usually fatal, but it can be deadly to
    people with weakened immune systems. The virus enters the bloodstream
    when the victim is bitten by a mosquito and causes inflammation of the
    brain. Between 1964 and 1998, only 4,478 cases of the rare virus have
    been reported in the United States.

    While 11 encephalitis cases had been confirmed by the New York Health
    Department through Wednesday, many groups have indicated that the
    risks associated with the insecticide are far greater than the threat
    of contracting the virus.

    "We think it is a knee-jerk reaction and it's definitely not safe. The
    procedure is too radical and not well thought out," said Becky Crouse,
    information coordinator for the New York Coalition for Alternatives to
    Pesticides. "Telling anybody that a pesticide is safe is
    misinformation and against the law. People are not getting the warning
    they should be getting."

    Crouse said Malathion is very readily absorbed through ingestion and
    absorption through the skin. The immediate effects, she noted, are
    dizziness, nausea, and respiratory problems, but could lead to "severe
    immune dysfunction or other serious health problems." Crouse said her
    office has been "receiving many phone calls from panicked people."

    An alternative, Crouse said, would be for "the city to investigate
    where the mosquitoes are coming from, and not just treat the adults."
    She suggested treating standing water with the natural insecticide BT
    for mosquito larvae in order to prevent the mosquitoes from
    reproducing.

    The Sierra Club has also been flooded with a large number of phone
    calls since the spraying began. "People are not getting the proper
    information," said one spokesperson. The Sierra Club is in the process
    of investigating the potential dangers of the pesticide as well as how
    this and other epidemics might fit into larger environmental problems
    such as global warming.

    The Malathion spraying is expected to last until the first frost
    according to the Department of Emergency Operations.

    Copyright 1999, Environmental News Network, All Rights Reserved

    1. http://www.enn.com/index.asp
   33. http://www.medofficeinc.com/f-set3.html
   34. http://www.epa.gov/internet/opptscon.htm
   35. http://yates.coph.usf.edu/~lbiasci/
   36. http://ace.orst.edu/info/nptn/
   37. http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doh/html/cd/encalert.html
   38. http://www.pesticide.org/default.htm
   39. http://www.cehn.org/cehn/resourceguide/nycap.html
   40. http://doacs.state.fl.us/medfly/malathion.html

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html