-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 9/22/99 11:46:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> US national newspaper, September 21, 1999
>
>  Federal Commission Predicts Increasing Threat of Terrorism
>  By STEVEN LEE MYERS
>  WASHINGTON -- The United States faces increasing threats from terrorism in
>  the next 25 years and is likely to be compelled to intervene in other
>  conflicts like Kosovo and East Timor even as its military shrinks, a
federal
>  advisory commission warned in a report released on Monday.
>
>  The report makes grim predictions about crises and threats at home and
>  abroad. The commission, headed by former Sens. Gary Hart and Warren B.
>  Rudman, warns in the 143-page report that the country "will be vulnerable
>  an increasing range of threats against American forces and citizens
>  overseas, as well as at home," from terrorists or rogue states.
>
>  "While conventional conflicts will still be possible, the most serious
>  threat to our security may consist of unannounced attacks on American
>  cities" by terrorist groups using germ warfare, said a summary of the
>  report. "Another may be well-planned cyber-attack on the air traffic
control
>  system on the East Coast of the United States as some 200 commercial
>  aircraft are trying to land safely in a morning's rain and fog."

<<snip>>

This is all propaganda as far as I'm concerned.  They are prejustifying the
"need" for a greater role by the military and the militarization of the
police.  This way they will have it easy as everyone will be fearful of the
"big, bad bogeyman" of terrorism and extremist violence.  I'm so sick of it
now, I'm really going to be bad off in another 10 years.