-Caveat Lector-

Committee vote keeps School of the Americas open
09/23/1999
Nolan Walters
Staff Writer

WASHINGTON

Fort Benning's controversial School of the Americas got another year's
reprieve Wednesday after members of a Senate-House conference committee voted
not to cut funding for the school.

The key vote was an 8-to-7 decision by House members of the conference
committee not to pursue the funding cuts against the school -- even though
the full House had voted in favor of the cuts by a 33-vote margin in July.

All those voting to preserve the school's funding were Republicans, although
one Republican voted with six Democratic opponents of the school.

School of Americas officials were thrilled when told that they and their
school had survived by the narrowest of margins.

"We did? Hey!" shouted School of the Americas spokesman Nicholas Britto when
told by phone of the favorable vote.

Minutes later and out of breath from passing along word of victory to the
headquarters staff, Britto said, "We are very excited, and we feel that
finally the American people, through Congress, have decided that the school
is needed, and we're happy that it is over," he said.

Long-time opponents of the school, however, said that their campaign to close
the school -- as the foremost symbol of what they say is a misguided U.S.
policy in Latin America -- is far from over.

The opponents say the school has trained murderers and other human rights
violators who oppress their own people. The U.S. Army says the school is
helping to spread respect for human rights.

"This was disappointing. But we knew that we had to keep on doing what we
were doing anyway," said Carol Richardson, co-director and Washington
director of the protest group School of Americas Watch.

"If anything, this will energize everybody," she said. "And next year, we've
got to get a straight up or down vote on it. We can't mess around with this
behind-the-scenes thing."

Using similar words, Rep. Joe Moakley, D-Mass., the congressional leader of
school opponents, said, "I'm very disappointed, but I'm not surprised."

"More people are paying attention to this thing all the time, and someday
we'll get it closed," said Moakley, who'd introduced the original legislation
to cut the school's money.

School supporter Rep. Mac Collins, R-Hampton, whose district includes Fort
Benning, agreed that the fight isn't over. "We still have a long way to go"
to ensure the school's continued safety. But for now, he added, "That's good."

The key vote came shortly after the beginning of a Wednesday afternoon
meeting in a crowded conference room of the Capitol as tourists milled about
just yards away.

Members of both the House and Senate were meeting to work out differences in
their versions of next year's spending bills for foreign operations -- which
included about $2 million for the school.

The House had voted 230-197 in July to cut the fund that pays for foreign
students to come to the school. It was the first conclusive House vote
against the school.

The Senate, however, never took up the issue of the school, so its version of
next year's foreign operations spending plan maintained the same level as
before for the School of the Americas.

This was but one of dozens of differences between the Senate and House
versions of the spending bill that the conference committee had to resolve.

The vote itself took only a couple minutes.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., an opponent of the school, was preparing to make a
motion for the Senate members to vote on accepting the House position -- that
is, cutting the school's funding.

But before he could act, Rep. Sonny Callahan, R-Mobile, Ala., the chairman of
the House appropriations subcommittee on foreign affairs and a school
supporter, beat him to the punch. He persuaded the House members themselves
to ignore the vote of the House and accept the Senate's position -- thereby
leaving funding unchanged.

Callahan said that if the money were cut from the foreign operations budget
that the Pentagon would probably shift money from another fund and nothing
would change at the school.

However, Callahan warned the committee members that they would be giving away
control over the program by doing so.

"That seems to take some of the wind out of their sails," said Rep. Jack
Kingston, R-Savannah, the only Georgian on the conference committee and a
supporter of the school.

After the vote, Leahy seemed to agree, saying that "the Pentagon would just
stick it (the money) back in another program." He also said that a straight
up-or-down vote on the school might be the best course for opponents.

But that isn't likely to happen at least until next year.

Voting to sustain the earlier House vote to cut the school's funding were:
Reps. John Porter, R-Ill., Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., Jesse
Jackson Jr., D-Ill., Dale Kildee, D-Mich., Martin Sabo, D-Minn., and David
Obey, D-Wis.

Vote not to sustain the House vote and maintain funding for the school were:
Callahan, Frank Wolf, R-Va., Ron Packard, R-Calif., Joseph Knollenberg,
R-Mich., Kingston, Jerry Lewis, R-Calif., Roy Blunt, R-Mo., and Bill Young,
R-Fla.