-Caveat Lector-

The Committee for National Solidarity
Tolstojeva 34, 11000 Belgrade, YU
***********
I ACCUSE!
***********
Dr Rajko Dolecek, PRAGUE, March 1999
http://www.srpska-mreza.com/ddj/Kosovo/articles/Dolecek.html

[Citat #1]: THE ANTI-SERB ATTITUDES OF PRESIDENT VACLAV HAVEL
[Citat #2]: THE CZECH PRESIDENT MR. VACLAV HAVEL DID NOT DISAPPOINT HIS
MENTORS

[Citat #1]:
THE ANTI-SERB ATTITUDES OF PRESIDENT VACLAV HAVEL

The traditional friendship between the Czechs and the Serbs was seriously
damaged during the recent (1991-96) tragic events in Yugoslavia. The
official Czech authorities, a substantial part of them, and a big part of
the Czech media, must be blamed for it. Both the politicians and the media
parroted the informations and comments from the West: Most of the Czech
press is, oddly enough, owned by the Germans, even the well sold Mlada
fronta DNES. Practically all the regional papers are in the German hands as
well. In many newspapers exist "instant experts on the Yugoslav affairs"
whose comments are full of disinformations about the Serbs. Their vocabulary
suggests a similarity with the Newspeak in "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by G.
Orwell, quite often.

A part of the responsibility for the deterioration of the Serb-Czech
relations is undoubtedly connected with the name of Mr. Václav Havel,
president of the Czech Republic. His anti-Serb statements were often
corrected by the Czech former Prime minister Mr. Václav Klaus.

Czechs were astonished by the words of their President in Washington at the
end of April 93, when the Memorial of holocaust was opened there. He said
that it would be necessary to bomb (the Serbian positions, added the AP) in
Bosnia-Herzegovina, to end the war there. Why did he tell it? Whom wished he
to please? Mr. Klaus, the Prime minister tried to correct him already the
next day: "It is a too simplified evaluation of the events in Yugoslavia,
because the situation is much more complicated there and it is not so easy
to determine the culprit." Since that time on, Mr. Havel referred repeatedly
to the army of Serbs from Bosnia-Herzegovina as "the wild army of Karadzic",
he called them "the thugs", "the bandits", "the criminals". During the
fighting in Srebrenica his words about the Serbs and their army were very
rude. But he insulted the Serbs very much during the anti-Serb spectacle in
September-October 95 called "The month of Bosnia and Herzegovina" in Prague.
There were no Serbs from Republika Srpska there, and the very few Serbs who
were present did not represent anybody. The old arch-enemy of the Serbs, Mr.
Otto von Habsburg made caustic remarks about them. Mr. Izetbegovic was
received by Mr. Havel with an utter pomp and ceremony, who spoke again about
the thugs, bandits, criminals of Karadzic and Mladic. At that time Mr.
Klaus, the Prime minister, refused to meet Mr. Izetbegovic and left Prague.
He declared then: "My attitude is the attitude of an analyst who likes to
know all the facts including those not chosen, because of an one-sided
way... It seems to me terribly simplified to proclaim that the Serbs are
post-communists, while the others were democrats..."

When the Croatian army attacked in spite of all the agreements and
regardless of the presence of the UNPROFOR, the territory of the Republic
Srpska Krajina, killing many civilians (e.g., 22nd of January 93 its
southern part, on 9th September 93 the villages Divoselo, Medak, Citluk near
Gospic - where the French troops of UNPROFOR behaved in an utterly cowardly
way), our president had nothing to say. When the Croatian troops invaded the
western Slavonia killing hundreds of civilians, burning and looting their
property, during the operation Storm which ended in expulsion of 200.000
Serbs and in massacres of those who stayed at home, our president had no
words of compassion. He just said that he is not happy with those events,
but that Croatia just managed to reintegrate its lost territory and that it
was not "the wild army of Karadzic". Our president never spoke about the
atrocities made by the Croats and Muslims, he strictly adhered to the view
of the West. But, nevertheless he used to say that he had nothing against
the Serbs as a nation. He even said (12th January 97) that he had
appreciated a lot the help of the Serbs when he had been a dissident - in
1966 a Serbian theatre (Studio 212) performed in Belgrade his play "The
Garden Party", among the first in the world. But, regardless of this, he had
nothing to say about the punishment of the whole Serb nation by the draconic
sanctions from 1992, during which and because of which thousands died, he
did not comment the expulsion of Yugoslavia from the WHO in 1993, he never
tried to help the Czech trusted friends, the Serbs, by e.g., a peace
initiative of his own, by words of compassion. A humane man who feels so
much about injusticies, who invites Dalai Lama, who cares for the dissidents
in Burma and China, who speaks so often about the ethics and the suffering
of the innocent, whose slogan used to be in those revolutionary days of 1989
"With justice and love against lies and hatred", such a man had to say
something about unjusticies against the Serbian people. Such a man had to
look for the truth, because nobody was innocent in the
civil-ethnic-religious war in the former Yugoslavia. But Mr. Havel did not
speak, did not help. He missed his big opportunity to prove that he was
really a humane man for all those who need it.

[Citat #2]:
THE CZECH PRESIDENT MR. VACLAV HAVEL DID NOT DISAPPOINT HIS MENTORS

The Czech president Mr. Václav Havel did not disappoint his mentors from the
West in this conflict. During his visit in October 1998 to the Great
Britain, and during his previous visit to the USA, our president completely
agreed with them that tough measures had to be taken in Kosovo, i.e., the
bombardment, according to the NATO ultimatum, of Serbian (Yugoslav) targets
there. Neither he nor the West realized the unquestionable reality of that
conflict that it had been provoked and initiated by the Albanian separatists
and the UCK terrorists, that Yugoslavia had legal rights to protect its
territory and citizens. Mr. Havel even said that he had been warning the
West that its neglect to make a strong stand against Milosevic in Kosovo had
meant actually an appeasement and that it risked a wide ranging explosion in
the Balkans (The Daily Telegraph, 20 October, '98). This means that our
president completely ignored the fact that the UCK had started the killing
in Kosovo, that its terrorist activity was responsible for all the suffering
there, for the spiral of killing, destruction, hatred. He thus repeated his
attitude from April 1993 when he advocated the military solution in Bosnia
i.e., the bombardment of the Serbian targets in Bosnia (see "The anti-Serb
attitudes of president Václav Havel").

Before the arrival of president Havel to Britain, there were voices against
any military actions against the Serbs. The warmongering was so much
supported by the British government, including the one-sided BBC and media,
various politicians, e.g., Mr. P. Ashdown whose ideas and words sounded like
the main political problem of America in the Balkans: arrogance and
ignorance. All the above was happening in almost a coordinated way with the
more or less partisan, anti-Serb (anti-Yugoslav) British press, with its
bombastic headlines about the Kosovo killing fields, about the "Grisly proof
of massacre" (by Emma Daly - she had similar headlines when she had reported
as a corespondent from Bosnia a few years ago), "Hidden horror betrays the
butchers of Kosovo" (juggler with shudder producing headlines, Mr. Tom
Walker), etc., etc. In the above article Mr. Walker did not mention the
strange event that happened at Gornje Obrinje, when a voice called in
Albanian the poor victims to the wood as reported by the BBC (September 30)
at 13,00 hrs on its TV program to be immediately omitted in its next
programs. The bombastic headlines appearing in the western press about
Kosovo (and earlier about Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia) are almost a copy of
the communist press during the Stalin era and after it. The western press is
not completely free - some "internal" censorship seems to be behind it, in
many cases.

But in some Letters to the Editor, some new ideas are starting to appear in
Britain, against the use of bombs, against the use of force in an
indiscriminate way against the former brave and fair allies, the Serbs. Mr.
Derek Prag points out (The Daily Telegraph, October 12, 1998) that a NATO
attack against Yugoslavia would be:

Manifestly illegal (no approval by the Security council, the legal
governments responsible for Kosovo are those of Serbia, Yugoslavia),

Immoral and unfair - those punished would be ordinary Serbs,

Biased and dishonest - nothing has been done for the hundreds of thousand of
Serbs "ethnically cleansed" from Croatia and Bosnia,

Foolhardy - many innocent Serbs would be killed or maimed,

Shameful - it would show gross ingratitude to a people who fought bravely on
our side, against terrible odds, in two world wars."

Mr. Derek Prag understood quite well the lack of fairness and the double
standards of the West, when he recalled the huge ethnic cleansing of 200.000
ethnic Serbs during the Croat offensive against the Serbian republic of
Krajina (beginning of August 1995) and mass murders of the Serbs who did not
escape in time. Nothing happened to the perpetrators, NATO did not threaten
Zagreb with bombs and rockets, nobody was indicted for all those crimes by
the Hague tribunal. It is easy to understand - the retired US mercenary -
generals prepared all that so meticulously, the Germans arranged all the
rest. It would be fine to discuss all the above human tragedy with people
who travelled during the last three years through the completely devastated
Krajina..

On the same day, in the same daily, Mr. E. T. Finn asks a somewhat
"provocative" question for us, in the Czech republic: "-If unilateral action
is taken, without a full Security council approval, what message will this
send to Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic which are being inveigled
into joining NATO? What valid arguments could Britain and America offer if
other countries decided to act similarly elsewhere" (e.g., China)? Isn't it
a memento to us? If we join NATO we shall be obliged to do the executioner's
job, if the Lords of NATO order it, even without any approval by the
Security council, even against our former friends. Shall we bomb Belgrade it
ordered to do it? Until now our present government behaved in a more or less
honest way, Something just opposite can be said about Slovenia, To please
the West as much as possible, Slovenia stood up against Yugoslavia in a very
unfriendly way during a Security council debate (October 6, 98) where it
together with the British and US ambassadors tried to introduce a tough
resolution against Yugoslavia, Luckily, it was substantially modified by
Brazil, China and Russia: it was against any excessive use of force, against
terrorist activity, it confirmed the sovereignty and territorial integrity
of Yugoslavia.

In the boring one-sidedness of a part of our media covering the events in
Kosovo, many fair and impartial reports may be found, whose authors are not
afraid to tell the truth, even if it is against the "received wisdom". If
one leads the objective, perfect article "And what about the Albanian side
in the Kosovo conflict" by Mr. J. Müller (Právo, October 7, 98) or
"Rebellions cannot be tolerated" by Mr. J. Rychlík (Právo, October 12, 98),
and others, one becomes aware of the intellectual poverty and sometimes even
political cowardice of the partisan media at home and abroad and how they
are trying to "rape" our conscience. During this October (1998), Mr. Martin
Dorazin, the corespondent of the Czech TV 1 from Kosovo was not afraid to
give the proper name of "terrorists" to the UCK, he was very outspoken when
he reported about the kidnapping of two Serbian journalists. In Hospodarske
noviny (19 October. '98), results of an opinion poll were published. Out of
1.061 persons, 948 were against any military intervention in Kosovo, only
113 approved it. Our president should take it into account, because even Mr.
Henry Kissinger during the October Forum 2000 in Prague (1998) stated that
it would be a nonsense to use bombs to solve the Kosovo problem. -"I would
like to know after our attack what are we trying to achieve and how are we
going to organize it . I must admit that I do not know what is the purpose
to use the B-52 bombers, what they have to achieve in this ethnic conflict
in the Balkans... I am alarmed by the attention given to a single man, to
the Yugoslav president (Milosevic) as if it were his personal conflict." Mr.
H. Kissinger concludes that he (Milosevic) was not the only man responsible
for the present crisis. His general attitude about the Americans and their
problems was expressed in the following way: "We have no problem to
accumulate knowledge, but we have enormous difficulties to understand its
meaning. If we cannot manage all that we shall not be able to manage the age
of globalism... We are really a superpower, but we have no clear objective."

The Czech ex-prime minister Mr. Václav Klaus declared at the same time (not
as a member of the Forum 2000) that he had the same misgivings as Mr.
Kissinger had that the bombardment only could settle the complex and
complicated situation in Kosovo - because until now the bombardment never
succeeded in doing it. He welcomed Mr. Kissinger's opinion that the Kosovo
problem was not created by president Milosevic, but by history. The Czech
ex-foreign Minister Mr. Jiri Dienstbier said at this occasion:

"Kissinger is absolutely right. Kosovo is no ethnical problem as it was in
Bosnia. There were here (in Kosovo) about 800 dead during half-a-year, while
in Bosnia hundreds of thousands died under horrible circumstances".

The dilemma about the possibility to use force in Kosovo makes many
Americans uneasy. Some of them are afraid that their trigger-happy leaders
may react absolutely unreasonably. Mr. Bill Clinton, the present USA
president, a man of not too high principles (see the Lewinsky affair), is
quite surely such a trigger-happy person, to show that he is still in
charge, that he is still the most powerful man in the world. He may be
enticed to show his power in Kosovo, regardless of the number of casualties.
The dead civilians are for such people just "a collateral damage". Mr.
Clinton has shown his power quite recently in Sudan and in Iraq. In The
Guardian (October 10, 98), Mr. Martin Kettle called him in a witty way
"Clinton, the cruise missile president". In his article, he quotes Mr.
George Will from The Washington Post that the USA leaders who are in charge,
when they hear the word DUTY, they immediately reach for their cruise
missiles.

Secretary General
Mrs. Jela Jovanovic
Art  historian