-Caveat Lector-

Unfortunately, Andrew, geological history is filled with the marks and scars
of catastrophes that *don't* fit the HAB Theory. The flooding of the Black
Sea is fascinating; it has major implications for archaeology, especially
for the quest to understand the origins of the Indo-European-speaking
peoples. It may indeed be one (I emphasize *one*) of the sources of the
biblical Flood story. There are lots of other floods and related events,
however, which don't fit so neatly into that 7500-year cycle, such as the
eruption of Thera which spelled the doom of Minoan civilization and probably
inspired the legend of Atlantis; or the flooding of the Mediterranean Basin
at 2+ million years B.P., when the Gibraltar dam collapsed. I repeat what I
said in my earlier post: what we need in this discussion is hard
archaeological and palaeontological data which has undergone the rigorous
peer-review process. There is mystery and wonder enough in the history of
this planet without adding our own speculations to the mix...

Please remember, too, that I always try to remain open to unconventional,
off-the-wall ideas. A good many of today's scientific orthodoxies, such as
plate tectonics, started out as off-the-wall ideas, after all. When I
challenge someone's statements, it's in an effort to force more rigorous,
disciplined thinking than is often exhibited. Truth is often found in very
strange places by very strange people. All I ask is that you be as cautious
and precise in your descriptions of that very weird truth as possible. As
J.B.S. Haldane remarked, "The universe is not only queerer than we know, it
is queerer than we *can* know."

        <snip>