-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Margrete Strand-Rangnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: (wto) Articles on the Free Logging Agreement & Day of Action
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:10:12 -0500 (CDT)

There has been a flurry of media recently between the release of "Our
Forests at Risk: The World Trade Organization's Threat to Forest
Protection," the September 15 International Day of Action and the Ruckus
Camp in Washington. Below are three articles that highlight the issues. For
more information on the Free Logging Agreement, contact Antonia Juhaz at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Articles Found Below:
9/14/99
Press Release for Our Forests at Risk

9/14/99
Inter Press Service
WTO Rules Threaten Forests

9/15/99
Inter Press Service
Big Business and Democracy on Collision Course at WTO

Earthjustice: U.S.-Backed Trade Plan Puts World's Forests on the
Chopping Block

CONTACT: Ann Hedreen, 206-723-8228, for Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund;
Website: http://www.earthjustice.org

DATELINE: SEATTLE, Sept. 14
At a press conference today, top forest advocates in the Northwest
called on the Clinton Administration's  trade  negotiators to uphold
United States environmental standards by immediately withdrawing one of
their key agenda items for the upcoming World Trade Organization summit
in Seattle.

According to a new report released with a statement signed by more than
100 conservation groups around the world, forests should not be
sacrificed blindly to the goal of free  trade.  The so-called "Global
Free-Logging Agreement" should not be pursued until the environmental
effects of existing  trade  rules and the new proposals have been fully
reviewed and modified to protect forests.

"Our Forests at Risk: The World Trade Organization's Threat to Forest
Protection" spells out in  sobering detail the likely consequences of
what forest advocates call the "Global Free- Logging Agreement." The
32-page report was co-authored by Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund and
Northwest Ecosystem Alliance, in collaboration with American Lands
Alliance, Asia Pacific Environmental Exchange, International Forum on
Globalization, Pacific Crest Biodiversity, and Pacific Environment  and
Resource Center.

Environmental groups say that as a member of the World Trade
Organization (WTO) , and a key proponent of the "Global Free-Logging
Agreement, " the U.S. has the ability to affect trade policy and  trade
rules, and that our negotiators must do a better job of maintaining U.S.
environmental standards.

"Our trade negotiators are pushing a plan that would undermine the
forest protections that U.S. citizens fought so hard to obtain," said
Patti Goldman, managing attorney for EarthJustice Legal Defense Fund and
a principal author of the report. "We are urging our government to look
before we leap into loosening regulations designed to protect our
environment  and U. S. jobs. Our government should insist on a full
review and modification of the  WTO  rules to ensure protection of our
forests before pushing forward with new proposals."

According to the report released today, the "Global Free-Logging
Agreement" jeopardizes forests under the cloak of free trade and
exemplifies a disturbing trend in the formulation of trade rules. It
would wipe out important forest protections and accelerate the
destruction of forests worldwide. Some of the key threats to Northwest,
and the world's, forests include:

        Invasive Species Safeguards: Invasive species, such as the Asian Gypsy
Moth, the Asian long-horned beetle and others, are the second leading
threat to forest biodiversity. The best way to prevent these
bio-invasions is to stop them at the border. But  trade  rules have made
it difficult, if not impossible, to stop deadly infestations before they
spread.
        Raw Log Export Bans: Washington State and the U.S. have banned the
export of raw logs from public lands in the Western U.S. The goal is to
reduce the overall demand for logging and to enable domestic mills to
benefit from the logging that is done.  Trade  rules prohibit such bans,
and Japan is already threatening to challenge the U.S. ban.

        Green Procurement: Through green procurement, governments use their
purchasing power to increase demand for recycled paper and decrease
consumption of products from native and unsustainably managed forests.
Recycled content requirements are firmly in place for federal, state and
local  government procurement throughout the U.S. But under WTO trade
rules, such regulations can be  challenged on the grounds that they
discriminate against countries that log native forests.

        Eco-labeling and Forest Certification: Eco-labeling enables consumers
to find and buy environmentally friendly products. Forest certification
reveals whether forest products have been produced in a  sustainable and
environmentally sound manner. Under  WTO  rules, eco- labeling and
forest certification can be challenged because they distinguish between
forest products based on how they are produced.

        Foreign Investor Rights vs. U.S. Sovereignty: Another WTO proposal
that threatens forest protections is the introduction of investment
provisions that would expand the rights of foreign timber companies and
allow them to challenge environmental restrictions on logging.

        Trade Agreements Without Environmental Safeguards: The Global
Free-Logging Agreement would increase logging without requiring that the
logging will be done in a sustainable manner. The report  provides an
example of the environmental casualties of such unsustainable logging of
British Columbia forests for export to the United States.

Joe Scott, Conservation Director of the Northwest Ecosystem Alliance and
co-author of the report commented, "Here in the Northwest and across the
U.S. we are struggling to save our remaining vestiges of ancient
forests, and working to save increasing numbers of endangered fish and
wildlife from extinction. It's extremely discouraging that in the face
of this struggle, our own government is pushing an agreement that would
discourage sustainable forestry."

"We are not opposed to trade, " added economist Dave Batker, director of
the Asia-Pacific Environmental Exchange. "However, when the
single-minded pursuit of free  trade  is elevated to supersede our own
environmental standards, our government must be held accountable."

For a copy of the report, the supporting statement and list of more than
100 signatory groups, and a list of experts on  trade and the
environment, call Ann Hedreen, EMS, 206-723-8228, or visit
http://www.earthjustice.org.

ENVIRONMENT-TRADE: WTO Rules Threaten Forests

By Danielle Knight
WASHINGTON, Sep. 14 (IPS) - The fate of the world's forests will be on
the chopping block at top-level international talks during the upcoming
meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), according to US
environmental groups.

''The WTO threatens to fuel the destruction of the world's remaining
forests,'' according to 'Our Forests At Risk,' released today by more
than 100 environmental groups based mostly in the Pacific Northwest
region of the United States.  Negotiations on existing WTO rules and a
new ''global, free logging agreement'' - proposed by the United States -
are on the agenda for WTO negotiators who meet in Seattle at the end of
November.

The talks aim to liberalize trade or reduce tariffs in wood and paper
products that could be devastating to countries' attempts to protect
their forests and to limit demand, says a report, co-authored by
Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund and the Northwest Ecosystem Alliance.

The 32-page report says an accelerated tariff phase-out for wood
products will only fuel consumption and demand that will increase
logging operations, already endangering forests worldwide.  The
environmental groups outline the various protection measures for forests
that could be dismantled by the trade body. These include the
eco-labeling of wood and forest products and safeguards to prevent the
importation of invasive pests.

Over the last two decades of this century, rapid deforestation has taken
an unprecedented toll, according to the report. A recent study by the
World Commission on Forests and Sustainable Development showed that
about 15 million hectares of forests - mostly in tropical regions - are
being lost annually.  ''It is also clear that the structural integrity
of much of the forest cover that remains has deteriorated,'' the World
Commission notes in the study.

Contentious debate over trade and environmental protection can be
expected when delegates gather for the WTO's third ministerial round of
talks, to be held in Seattle Nov 29-Dec 3.  Environmentalists point to
numerous conservation measures that have been challenged at previous
meetings and found to be "unfair trade barriers."

Such was the fate of a US law designed to protect sea turtles which
prohibited the import of shrimp from countries that do not require their
fishing fleets to use devices that exclude the  endangered turtles from
their nets.  The WTO found this to be an "unfair trade barrier."

New trade negotiations could lead to similar dismantling of forest
protections, according to the report.  Restrictions or bans on imports
of wood products designed to prevent the spread of pest species, such as
the Asian Long-horned Beetle from other countries, would collide with
restrictive WTO rules that require that regulations use the least trade
restrictive means of achieving the regulatory goal.

''Invasive species are the second leading threat to forest
biodiversity,'' says the report. ''The most effective way to prevent
bio-invasions of forests is to prevent the entry and spread of invasive
species.''

The Asian Long-horned Beetle, for example, which entered the United
States in wood packaging material from Northeast Asia, first attacked
hardwood species in New York City and Chicago.  Difficult to eradicate,
because it has no known natural enemies in this country and is resistant
to pesticides, the insect now has been found in warehouses in more than
two dozen cities.

Export bans on unprocessed or raw logs cut on public lands could also be
challenged under WTO rules, warns the report.  ''Such bans reduce the
demand for logging and enable domestic mills to reap the benefits of
logging that is done,'' says the report. But, ''WTO rules prohibit such
export bans.''  Japan already has threatened to invoke these rules to
challenge the export bans for public lands as instituted by the states
in the western United States.

Government regulations that prohibit or limit the purchase of products
from primary or unsustainably-managed forests, or that require the state
to buy a certain percentage of recycled products, could also be
challenged under WTO rules that prohibit different treatment of products
based on the way the product is produced.  ''Such rules are vulnerable
to challenge on the ground that they discriminate against countries that
log native forests,'' says the report.

Labels and certification processes for wood and paper products from
forests that are sustainably harvested could also be challenged by the
WTO. The trade body creates obstacles for such eco-labeling because it
is based on how the product is produced, say environmentalists.  US
Trade Representative Charlene Barshefsky has stated that pressing for
the elimination of tariffs on forest products is one of the country's
primary targets going into trade negotiations in November.

But pushing for tariff elimination could magnify global consumption
trends of wood and paper products. Already, the United Nations Food and
Agriculture Organisation's 'State of the World's Forests 1999' report
forecasts a 25 percent increase in worldwide industrial wood production
and  consumption by the year 2010.  Without including forest
conservation provision into the free-trade rules, tariff reduction will
lead to the accelerated destruction of forests worldwide, says the
report.

According to the American Forest and Paper Association - a powerful
industry group - a recent study by the Finnish consulting firm Jaakko
Poyry estimates a 3-to-4 percent increase in the consumption of forest
products as a result of tariff-free trade.

''Our trade negotiators are pushing a plan that would undermine our
forest protections, despite broad public opposition,'' says Patti
Goldman, managing attorney for EarthJustice Legal Defense Fund and
principal author of the report.  She says that current trade rules need
to be assessed and repaired if needed, before pushing forward with new
proposals.  ''We are urging our government to look before we leap into
loosening regulations on trade,'' Goldman says.

Dave Batker, an economist who directs the Seattle-based Asia-Pacific
Environmental Exchange stresses that his organisation is not opposed to
trade.  ''However, when the single-minded pursuit of free-trade is
elevated to supercede our own environmental standards, our government
must be held accountable,'' he adds.

[c] 1999, InterPress Third World News Agency (IPS)
All rights reserved

September, 15, 1999

Big Business and Democracy on Collision Course at WTO

By Danielle Knight

WASHINGTON, Sep. 15 (IPS) - Union leaders, environmentalists and
lawmakers joined hands  here Wednesday to strengthen opposition to
further liberalisation of trade rules at an upcoming session of the
World Trade Organisation (WTO) in Seattle.

''Big business and democracy are on a collision course, and democracy
has been losing,'' said Ralph Nader, the well-known consumer advocate
lawyer who heads a number of public interest groups in the United
States.

''The WTO is the greatest surrender of our national, state and local
sovereignty and subordinates our critical health, safety and
environmental standards to the imperatives of international trade,'' Nader
told a crowd of protesters at a rally on the steps of Congress.

Elsewhere around the world, similar gatherings of more than 1,000
non-governmental  organisations (NGOs) called for a moratorium on
further trade liberalization negotiations and an  assessment of the
impact of past trade rules.

''The WTO system, rules and procedures are undemocratic, non-
transparent and non-accountable and have operated to marginalize the
majority of the world's people,'' declared a statement released by
environmental and public interest groups in more than 80 countries.

Thousands of trade officials from more than 150 countries will gather in
Seattle, Washington at the end of November for the Third WTO Ministerial
conference - scheduled to be the largest  international trade meeting
held on US soil.  US negotiators plan to launch sweeping new global
trade expansion talks to reduce tariffs, unions, lawmakers,
environmentalists and public interest groups say WTO rules should be
overhauled because they undermine federal, state and local  regulations
and standards.

The Geneva-based trade body, for example, ordered Europe to lift its ban
on US beef treated with growth hormones, which some scientists believe
may cause cancer.  When the European Union refused to comply, the World
trade Organisation allowed the United States to impose high tariffs on
luxury imports from Europe.

US environmentalists were further enraged last year when a WTO dispute
panel ruled against a US law that requires all shrimp sold in this
country to be caught in nets that have turtle escape  devices.  These
devices could save the lives of nearly all of the 150,000 sea turtles
that drown in shrimp nets each year, according to marine scientists.

Human rights activists also were critical of WTO rules since, under the
auspices of the organisation, some countries challenged US state, city
and local laws that barred governments from spending public funds on
businesses that invest in countries notorious for human rights abuses
such as Burma and Nigeria.  ''Instead of creating a global supermarket
for US goods and services, we've created a system of rules that puts
more emphasis on property rights than on human rights,'' said Sherrod
Brown, a democratic congressman from Ohio.

At Wednesday's rally, Brown joined other democratic representatives
including Paul Wellstone of Minnesota, and George Miller of California,
in calling for a reassessment of past trade agreements before pushing
ahead for any further reduction in trade barriers.

Amid concern about the impact of economic globalisation, President Bill
Clinton's previous  efforts to obtain ''fast-track'' authority to
negotiate new trade agreements - routinely granted to his four
predecessors over the last 25 years - were defeated in the House during
the past two years.

Similar public opposition worldwide led to the defeat of the
Multilateral Agreement on  Investments proposed by the world's
wealthiest industrialised nations of the Organisation of  Economic
Community and Development (OECD).  Dubbed the 'corporate bill of rights'
by activists, this treaty would give investors and corporations the
right to sue governments if laws - including health and safety
regulations - prohibited companies from making a profit.  Unions fear
that the MAI agenda will reappear within the upcoming trade negotations
of the WTO and further override worker safety laws.

''We are having our complete sovereignty undermined,'' said James Hoffa
Jr., president of the Teamsters Union, which represents more than one
million members in Canada and the United  States. ''Under the most
conservative of tests the WTO  has not worked and basic worker rights
have come under attack.''

He pointed to the challenge coming from the WTO to France's ban on
asbestos. Hoffa said the trade body also prohibited efforts to ban
products made in developing countries by child labour. Other trade
agreements, like the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), have
only hurt the US economy, he said.

''In 1993, when we debated NAFTA we actually had a trade surplus with
Mexico while today we have a 20 billion dollar trade deficit,'' he told
the rally.  He also said that, since the formation of NAFTA, there had
been a trend toward lowering wages in the United States while US
corporations fled to other countries in search of cheaper work- force
and weaker labour  standards.

US companies already were using NAFTA rules to sue countries, declared
concerned environmentalists who warned that this practice could spread
to other countries as the WTO talks progressed.  Under NAFTA, for
ecample, when Canada moved to protect its citizens' health from a
potentially harmful US fuel additive, the chemical's manufacturer, Ethyl
Corp., sued on the grounds that this would obstruct free trade. In July
it succeeded in overturning Canadian law.  Metalclad, another U.S. firm,
complained to NAFTA that it had been prevented from opening a waste
disposal plant because of environmental zoning laws in the Mexican state
of San Luis Potosi.

''In many ways, the WTO has failed the most conservative test of all:
'first, do no harm','' said Lori Wallach, director of the
Washington-based Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch.

Opposition also was mounting in Congress regarding a proposed WTO
agreement to eliminate global tariffs on paper and wood products, on the
grounds that it could increase consumption and encourage unsustainable
logging and violate existing US conservation laws.

A bipartisan groups of 48 members of the House has sent a letter to
President Clinton to withdraw from negotiations over the initiative
until an environmental impact assessment is completed.

''The WTO was an experiment,'' said Antonia Juhasz, director of American
Lands Alliance's international trade and forests programme. ''All we ask
is that the world's governments step back and see how that experiment is
going, before subjecting the world to new WTO agreements.''

Big business does not need a new ''bill of rights'' under the WTO, added
Daniel Seligman, director of the responsible trade programme at the
Sierra Club, a major environmental organisation.

Multinational corporations ''need a new, enforceable code of corporate
responsibilities,'' he said. Echoing the concerns of others at the
rally, he said tariffs should not be phased out for forests, fisheries
or other sectors ''until we fully understand the environmental
impacts.'' (END/IPS/dk/mk/99)

NEW CITIZEN'S GUIDE TO THE WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION!
On the Internet at http://www.tradewatch.org/publications/gtwpubs.htm
FOR MULTIPLE COPIES CONTACT PUBLIC CITIZEN 202-588-1000 OR GO TO
http://www.citizen.org/newweb/publicat.htm

**********************************
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed
included information for research and educational purposes.

Margrete Strand Rangnes
MAI Project Coordinator
Public Citizen Global Trade Watch
215 Pennsylvania Ave, SE
Washington DC, 20003 USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
202-454-5106
202-547 7392 (fax)

To subscribe to our MAI Listserv send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], or
subscribe directly by going to our website,
www.tradewatch.org (Please indicate organizational affiliation if any, and
also where you found out about this listserv)

Search the MAI-NOT & MAI-INTL archives at http://lists.essential.org/

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
-- Mark Twain