-Caveat Lector-

 Subj:     Dr. Laura Schlessinger: Time for good Americans to get guns
 Date:  10/1/99 9:28:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris W.Stark)
 To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                         GUN OWNERS ALLIANCE
                              !!ALERT!!
                      Chris W. Stark - Director
                            P.O. Box 1924
                      Crosby, Texas 77532-1924
               Ph. (281) 787-4111  Fax (281) 328-7505
                      http://www.GOA-Texas.org
                   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                             10/01/1999
                              --------

     Dr. Laura Schlessinger: Time for good Americans to get guns
                     _________________________
                     ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
         Copyright © 1999 by Gun Owners Alliance (GOA-Texas).
          Republication permitted ONLY if this e-mail alert
                 is left intact in its original state.

 For those of you who do not know, Dr. Laura Schlessinger is on national
 radio, and covers a VERY large audience. She is beginning to see the
 importance of the 2nd amendment! She used to be quite anti-gun! But that
 is changing!

 She gives her snail mail address for people to write her in regards to
 her article below. It would be great if we could send her pro 2nd amendment
 books, articles and tapes, and just a personalized letter, for she can and
 will be VERY instrumental in reaching the masses, due to her national status.

 NOW IS OUR CHANCE FOR A POSITIVE LIGHT TO BE SHED ON THE 2nd AMENDMENT BY
 SOMEONE THAT CAN REACH THE MASSES! WRITE HER NOW!

 Please send correspondence to Dr. Laura in care of Universal Press
 Syndicate, 4520 Main St., Kansas City, Mo. 64111.
 1999 DR. LAURA SCHLESSINGER

 #  #  #  #  #  #  #  #

 PUBLICATION: The Regina Leader-Post
 DATE: 99.09.08
 SECTION: Lifestyles
 PAGE: C2
 COLUMN: Dr. Laura
 BYLINE: Schlessinger, Laura

 Sadly, it's time for good Americans to get guns

 I'm right in the middle of a big change of attitude about a very important
 subject. And I know a lot of my readers and listeners to my radio program
 may be shocked. But people who have known me over time know that I'm someone
 who evolves in public. That is, when I start changing my mind about something
 or discover new information or some truth about my own life or life in
general,
 I'm usually pretty straightforward about the process with my colleagues and
 my fans.

 The first event that caused me to rethink my position on this topic was the
 shootings in Atlanta, where a man went into two office buildings and gunned
 down total strangers, then killed himself in his car later that day. I
thought
 about the difference it might have made - lives saved instead of lost - if
 someone in one of those offices had been armed. The murderer might well
 have been foiled in his reign of terror before so many innocent people died.

 That thought caused me to remember a time several years ago when I felt
 completely safe in my hometown of Los Angeles. It was after the major
 earthquake in 1994, and the National Guard was everywhere. There they were,
 it seemed, on every corner - uniformed, armed, ammunition slung across their
 chests, ready. As I recall, there was absolutely no crime in Los Angeles at
 that time - no break-ins, no holdups, no car-jackings. Nada. The bad guys
 obviously didn't want to risk getting shot.

 I went on the air then and said, "Gee, why can't these guys just stay here?"
 and everyone freaked out. Now, I knew then and know now that that's not what
 the National Guard is for, but it was nice to feel so secure for those few
weeks.

 In thinking about the difference an armed civilian or security guard might
have
 made in Atlanta, I thought back to my trip to Israel this summer and how many
 people walking around, especially on the West Bank, were armed out of a
genuine
 and persistent need to protect themselves. No one was shooting. There was no
 display of firepower or anything like that. It was just taken for granted.

 I know that's a unique situation, because from its inception Israel has been
 under constant attack by neighboring countries as well as terrorists. So they
 have a demonstrable need for self-defense. We, on the other hand, are self-
 destructing. We don't need an external force. We are breeding our own evil
 here. Child killers, killer children, private militias, home-grown and
imported
 terrorists, to say nothing of old-fashioned, garden variety psychopaths and
 criminals - all armed and dangerous and now encouraged, educated in evil and
 joined in unholy conspiracy on the World Wide Web.

 There are obviously lots and lots of reasons why our society - once so
revered
 and respected around the world - is unraveling and degenerating. But one of
them
 is the unbridled license of communication on the Internet. I hear from so
many
 people about the shock and despair the Internet has brought into their homes.

 The Internet is the most recent and most powerful tool to be commandeered by
 the sick evildoers in our midst. It spreads the virus of hate and germs of
 pathology like wildfire around the world, infecting more and more people,
 especially our neglected and vulnerable youth. Many of the most recent
 horrendous crimes have been committed by jerks, scum, low-life's and dim
 bulbs who hang around the Internet because they have no life, fantasize
 about becoming heroes through hate, and are emboldened to act out by others
 in cyberspace who support them.

 Even before the horror of the most recent attack on children in a Los Angeles
 Jewish center near my home, I was in the process of making up my mind to find
 a nice police officer or sheriff to teach me how to responsibly fire a gun.
 I can hardly believe I'm saying this, because I have been opposed to the idea
 that everyone should be free to bear arms. But the unpredictability of where
 danger strikes next, coupled with the frequency with which it happens, has
 led me to think that we "good guys" need to have more of the mentality of the
 beleaguered Israelis. And, of course, we need to have their attitude as well.
 No one is gun-happy over there. They don't show off, do stupid things.

 I agree that everyone who carries a gun must be licensed and that the
 regulations should be very strict. In order to be allowed to carry a gun,
 I think we should have to pass a test to make sure we can take it apart,
 put it back together again, clean it, load it, unload it, etc. And we
 should have to pass a marksman's test to get the gun and periodic tests
 to be allowed to keep it.

 To be perfectly honest, I haven't thought this all the way through. It's
 just that I'm getting more and more concerned about the direction in which
 our society is moving, and it's becoming clearer and clearer that we need
 protection from ourselves.

 I know this shocks a whole lot of you. And I'm sorry.