-Caveat Lector-

http://my.cnn.com/jbcl/cnews/Go?template=nmDet&hd=0&sname=World&sbc_id=26412
&art_id=4629381&uid=939147285520
EC Whistleblower Says Did Not Break Rules
LONDON, Oct 5 (Reuters) - The man who blew the whistle on fraud and
corruption in the European Commission, triggering the humiliating
resignation of the whole body, said on Tuesday he did not breach commission
rules.
Paul van Buitenen, a middle-ranking accountant in the European Commission's
internal auditing department, was formally reprimanded by the EC on Monday
for "clearly and knowingly" breaching rules governing Commission staff.
But van Buitenen, who was allowed to keep his job, told BBC radio on Tuesday
he had not broken the "very old-fashioned" rules of the commission.
"The rules at the time were very old-fashioned and came from the '50s. Even
though these rules were very old-fashioned, I didn't breach them. I obeyed
them," he said.
"There is a regulation that says if there is a breach between the orders of
your hierarchy and criminal law, you may breach the orders of your hierarchy
and that is what I did," the Dutch civil servant added.
Van Buitenen handed over papers to European Parliament deputies last
December giving details of corruption in the commission, the European
Union's executive body.
A subsequent parliament report found proof of widespread nepotism, fraud and
mismanagement.In March, all 20 commissioners, led by Jacques Santer,
resigned.
Van Buitenen, who said he was angry, had cautionary words for any future
whistleblowers.
"There are no changes in place so future whistleblowers will be in an even
more serious situation than I am," he said.
"The only possibility whistleblowers have is to go to their own hierarchy
which is not a real alternative or call to the so-called independent
anti-fraud office which is not independent at all and I have proof of that,"
he said.
Asked if he thought the kind of fraud he so explosively revealed would
continue, van Buitenen said: "Of course."
Copyright 1999 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

=======================
Robert F. Tatman
Computer Help Desk
Desktop & LAN Services
Systems Department
Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
215.854.2729
215.854.2788
The contents of this message represent the opinion only of the writer, and
may not be construed to indicate the endorsement of Knight-Ridder, Inc.;
Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc.; The Philadelphia Inquirer; or the
Philadelphia Daily News.
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."