-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: SNET: [piml] Dark rumors from Russia
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:17:22 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

->  SNETNEWS  Mailing List

 <A
HREF="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_nyquist/19991011_xcjny_dark_rumor.s
html">Dark rumors from Russia</A>
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_nyquist/19991011_xcjny_dark_rumor.shtml

Dark rumors
from Russia

© 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

An American businessman in Moscow, the managing director of Matrix
Technologies, recently described conditions in the Russian capital. He
said
the city is heavily patrolled by police and army units. Vehicles are
routinely searched, papers are inspected, civil rights are violated. But
Moscow's police are not simply looking for terrorists. They are also
looking
for "military-aged individuals" and persons with medical experience.
These
are being taken for military training as part of a "general preparation
for
war."
We know that the Russian military began to expand its manpower base in
April,
during the crisis in Kosovo. At that time nearly 170,000 new recruits
were
called up in a special Russian military draft. There were also reports
that
between 80,000 and 100,000 volunteers were recruited to fight NATO in
the
Balkans. Throughout Russia, as well as other former Soviet republics,
there
have been rumors that hundreds of thousands of convicts have been
offered
amnesty in exchange for military service. If you examine the naval and
marine
exercises of the past six months (especially in the context of the
mobilization of Russia's Black Sea Fleet), one cannot escape the
suspicion
that naval and marine reserves have also been mobilized.

We know from Russian press reports that troops of the Interior Ministry
and
Federal Security Service were secretly mobilized last month. Exact
numbers
have not been published, though the strength of MVD and FSS reserve
forces is
probably well over 200,000. What we have inklings of, and what we read
about
in the Russian press, suggests a large-scale military preparation. This
preparation cannot be explained by the situation in Chechnya. After all,
Chechnya is a small place, without a real army or air force. It should
be
pointed out that these Russian mobilizations are too large for the
Chechen
theater of operations.

It is remarkable, in this context, that we are constantly reading of the
weakness of Russia's conventional armed forces. To give one example, we
read
in a Oct. 7 Reuters article by Martin Nesirky that "Russia now finds
itself
short of conventional weapons to fight Chechen guerrillas in its own
backyard." Nesirky writes of a contrast between Russia's "creaking kit
in the
field and shining missiles in silos. ..." But this is an incorrect
characterization. While it is true that Russia has announced plans to
deploy
a second regiment of Topol-M ICBMs this year, and Russia's nuclear
forces are
wonderfully modernized, it is untrue that Russia's conventional forces
lack
equipment.

As it happens, we can deduce the minimum amount of military hardware the
Russians are deploying by doing a little homework.

In November of 1990 the Kremlin signed the Conventional Forces in Europe
treaty (CFE). This treaty limited the Russians to deploying 20,000
battle
tanks, 20,000 artillery tubes, 6,800 combat aircraft, 30,000 other
armored
vehicles, and 2,000 attack helicopters west of the Urals. In this
context, it
has been widely acknowledged that Russia never conformed to the CFE
Treaty.
(Even the Encyclopedia Britannica has numerous articles acknowledging
Russian
noncompliance with CFE.) In fact, the Russian General Staff was blamed
--
early on -- for sabotaging the treaty. In the last few days the Kremlin
has

The number of 20,000 tanks is a gigantic figure. It is several times the
number of tanks used by Hitler to invade Russia in 1941. The number of
6,800
combat aircraft is also huge. If Russia is exceeding CFE limits in any
of
these areas then we cannot -- we must not! -- say that Russia has an
under-equipped army.

The military mobilization in Russia is something real. The official
reason
for this mobilization is not to be trusted. As I have said before, far
more
power is being mobilized than would be needed to crush tiny Chechnya. So
what
is up? What are the Russian generals getting ready for?

Members of an American church, who recently returned from mission work
in one
of Russia's largest cities, reported contacts with Russian soldiers.
These
soldiers were "very disturbed" because they believed the present Russian
mobilization is aimed at the United States -- not Chechnya. In a related
report, a recent American visitor to Russia was privately informed by a
Russian military officer that Russia had been preparing for war against
America for the last 17 months.

Are these reports credible?

We have to be careful about embracing stories that confirm our worst
fears.
But if we look at such reports in the context of other information --
which
is absolutely undeniable -- then we have to say that there is nothing
inconsistent or surprising in the idea that Russia is preparing for war
with
the United States.

Russia's new ally -- China -- is also mobilizing. This is supposedly a
coincidence. The Taiwan Straits crisis just happens to coincide with the
Chechnya crisis. Therefore, the military mobilizations in both countries
are
supposedly justified. But, if we have any strategic sense at all,
shouldn't
we be questioning this coincidence? Shouldn't somebody in the Pentagon
be
whispering in the president's ear?

According to Eric Margolis of the Toronto Sun, President Clinton has
ordered
the Pentagon to send state-of-the-art night vision equipment to Russia
for
use in helicopter gunships. He is also having them send over military
communications gear. It is odd, to say the least, for the United States
to be
sending military assistance to a country that has more tanks and combat
aircraft than just about any country on earth.

Moscow's current disinformation campaign has worked wonders. Every
American
who bothers to watch the six o'clock news imagines that Russia has a
military
disaster on its hands. One hears, incredibly, that Russia might even
lose the
war! After all, Chechnya defeated Russia before. (One fairy tale sits
atop
another, each supporting the grand fiction of Russian weakness.)

Russia's filling up of tank and motorized rifle divisions is not
something
spontaneous and of the moment. Last summer Russia curtailed gasoline and
diesel fuel exports, as well as exports of fuel oil. Almost a year ago
Russia
cut her oil exports by more than 25 percent, while increasing oil
imports
from Iraq. But Russia is supposedly broke! She desperately needs cash,
and 45
percent of Russia's $80 billion in exports in 1997 came from fuel
exports.

Why is this being done?

The truth is, a force exceeding 20,000 tanks and 30,000 armored
personnel
carriers can suck a lot of fuel. Let me suggest that Russia has planned
the
current mobilization for many months. Let me also suggest that the
Kremlin
wants to be assured of its military supplies. What we are seeing is not
panicked reaction to a few Chechen rebels and terrorists. It is a
carefully
prepared and well-organized war mobilization, involving countrywide
civil
defense drills and a massive roundup of military-aged men and medical
personnel.

A few columns ago I mentioned that there was a large number of generals
retained by the Russian military during its build-down. I noted that the
huge
number of generals facilitated a sudden and effective Russian
mobilization.
Shortly after my column appeared, the Russian Defense Ministry announced
plans to retire 300 generals and admirals by December. The Russians also
announced that 17,000 colonels would also disappear by December.

It is a neat trick to claim you are exceeding the CFE force limits while
getting rid of nearly half the colonels in the Russian military. I tip
my hat
to those humorous boys in the Russian Defense Ministry. That's a great
gag.
Keep the jokes coming!

J.R. Nyquist is a WorldNetDaily contributing editor and author of
'Origins of
the Fourth World War.'

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->  Posted by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]