-Caveat Lector-

*1984* was, AFAIK, intended more as a satire on Stalinism and the Communist
elite than it was as an attack on bureaucracy in general. Orwell was coming
at the subject from the standpoint of a disillusioned leftist who was not
about to go over to the Right. The book was designed as a wakeup call for
Western progressives who still, as late as 1948, tended to idealize the
Soviet Union. Yes, looking at the book fifty years later, things do seem to
be shaking down roughly along the geopolitical lines "predicted" by
Orwell...but hindsight is always 20-20. The closest thing around today to
Orwell's totalitarian state is North Korea, the sole remaining Stalinist
state.