-Caveat Lector-

Das Goat wrote:

>>"In my childhood," he [Whitley Streiber] said quietly," I ws tested at a
university in San Antonio, in about 1954-55, for a long time, with a lot of
tests - this was the same time I was having my encounters as a child.
Intelligence tests, I guess they were; I don't remember them very clearly.
My brother was subjected when he was the same age to the same tests at the
same place by the same doctor.  We were never told what these tests were
about.  We were never told by our parents why it was done."<<

To my knowledge the only universities in San Antonio in the 1950's were
Trinity College and St. Mary's University, neither of which is connected to
a medical school.  It's interesting that Streiber referred to the man doing
the test as a "doctor."  It leads me to wonder whether the testing may have
been done at a military facility.  That is one thing San Antonio has an
abundance of.  Lackland Air Force Base,  Kelly Air Force Base, Fort Sam
Houston, and Randolph Air Force Base are all located in San Antonio, in
addition to Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC), which houses the headquarters
of the Army Medical Command, Dental Command and Veterinary Command.
See http://www.amcity.com/sanantonio/stories/1999/08/09/story4.html

---------

from:
http://www.amcity.com/sanantonio/stories/1997/04/21/story4.html

Week of
April 21, 1997

Military hospitals pursue integration plan
Medical education will be consolidated by '98
Missy Turner
The graduate medical education (GME) programs at San Antonio's two military
hospitals are set to be consolidated into one program by next year.

In addition, the military programs are in the process of developing closer
ties with the GME programs at the University of Texas Health Science Center
(UTHSC).

The integration of GME programs operated at Wilford Hall U.S. Air Force
Medical Center and Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) is set for completion
by 1998, according to military officials.

The integration plan represents a coming together of what were previously
two separately run GME programs. In 1995, the Department of Defense (DOD)
mandated that San Antonio's military medical centers merge their GME
programs as part of a plan to streamline services and reduce duplication.
That plan is now in its final stages here, according to Col. C. Kenneth
McAllister, dean of military professional education at BAMC. McAllister is
charged with coordinating the consolidation effort.

The integration plan at San Antonio's military medical centers encompasses
20 graduate programs, which will be combined at either Wilford Hall or BAMC.
To date, 12 programs have been consolidated. By 1998, the project will be
completed, according to McAllister.

Together, the GME programs involve some 650 residents and fellows, he says.

The integration is an effort by the DOD to avoid duplication or "redundancy"
of GME programs, McAllister says. He also says the integration will create
stronger GME programs. Residents and fellows will have opportunities to
study under more physicians, he says.

"There is twice as much variety for fellows," McAllister says. "While there
are more people to train, there are more people to train them."

McAllister also adds that integration can save money, while also improving
efficiency -- by eliminating duplication of services.

In order to strengthen the consolidation effort under way between the two
military medical centers, officials have formed the San Antonio Uniformed
Services Health Education Consortium.

The consortium is unrelated to the San Antonio Trauma Consortium Agreement.
In December, the trauma consortium agreement was signed by officials with
BAMC, Wilford Hall and the University of Texas Health Science Center. It
establishes a framework for the sharing of trauma training and research
resources, as well as personnel and expertise related to trauma and
emergency medicine.

"The (Uniformed Services) consortium formalizes what is already happening.
It's a way of showing support for the integration of medicine," McAllister
says.

Closer ties
One of the consortium's goals also is to develop stronger ties with the
University of Texas Health Science Center once the military integration plan
is completed. There is already an "unofficial" link between the military and
UTHSC for graduate medical education. But officials representing the
military and UTHSC say they hope to forge even closer ties in the future.

McAllister says that UTHSC has research opportunities that the military
cannot offer its residents and fellows. The military's GME program for
infectious disease is already run in cooperation with UTHSC, utilizing
UTHSC's research facilities.

"This is a positive relationship between the Department of Defense hospitals
in the city and the university. You don't have this in every city,"
McAllister adds.

UTHSC has about 675 residents and fellows in 43 different GME programs,
according to Dr. Marvin Foreland, associate dean for clinical affairs, who
oversees the graduate medical education programs at UTHSC.

Foreland says that among the advantages of forging a relationship between
the military hospitals and UTHSC is the diverse patient populations that
will be made available to trainees.

"The programs at Wilford Hall and BAMC are serving, in large part, a younger
population of physically fit people who may develop acute problems. The
University Health System is dealing with a population that is tilted toward
a more senior age group," Foreland says.

University Hospital, part of the University Health System, is the main
teaching hospital for UTHSC.

McAllister adds that he likes to call San Antonio "GME-friendly."

"We have a unique opportunity in this city of a collaborative atmosphere for
dealing with the association of graduate medical education across the three
hospitals," McAllister says.

This year will be the last year that the two local military hospitals
operate separate GME programs, according to hospital representatives. A
common diploma and graduation ceremony are already being developed in
preparation for total GME integration in 1998.

======
http://www.amcity.com/sanantonio/stories/1997/03/03/story4.html
S.A. vying to become global trauma center
Missy Turner
Local leaders and officials from San Antonio's three major trauma centers
have banded together in an effort to establish the Alamo City as a Global
Medical Center for the U.S. Department of Defense.

As Global Medical Center San Antonio, the city's three trauma centers would
be charged with providing medical support to the United States Southern
Command, which oversees military functions in Central and South America.
Serving as the Southern Command's Global Medical Center would involve
providing disaster response and humanitarian assistance to countries in that
region.

The fate of the proposal ultimately will be put in the hands of Congress,
according to Major General Paul K. Carlton Jr., commander of Wilford Hall
Medical Center. The proposal is part of this year's Quadrennial Defense
Review, a study conducted every four years that analyzes the military, its
threats, and its use of money. Once the review is complete, it will be
forwarded to Congress for action. The review is scheduled to be completed by
May.

A similar Global Medical Center already has been designated in Hawaii to
serve the West and the Pacific regions. That consortium involves the
cooperation of the University of Hawaii and Tripler Army Medical Center in
Honolulu.

San Antonio has three major trauma centers: Wilford Hall Medical Center at
Lackland Air Force Base; Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) at Fort Sam
Houston; and University Hospital, Bexar County's public hospital.

In December, the city's three trauma facilities formally came together to
form the San Antonio Trauma Consortium Agreement. The agreement sets up a
framework for the sharing of trauma training and research resources, as well
as personnel and expertise.

That agreement is a necessary step toward San Antonio's designation as a
Global Medical Center, local leaders say. By linking the three facilities,
San Antonio becomes a national asset, according to supporters of the
agreement.

"We want them to look at San Antonio and see one big hospital, not three
hospitals," says Doug Williams, vice president of military affairs for the
Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce. The chamber helped coordinate the
formation of the San Antonio Trauma Consortium.

Wilford Hall is the only Level 1 trauma center for the Department of
Defense. Level 1 facilities handle the most serious trauma cases, according
to Carlton. "We're the 9-1-1 of the Department of Defense," he adds.

All three trauma centers in San Antonio handle Code 3 cases, those that are
life or limb threatening.

Designating San Antonio's major trauma facilities as a Global Medical Center
will help shelter San Antonio's military medical facilities from Department
of Defense cutbacks in the future, Carlton says.

"We're looking for any way we can to bullet-proof our military facilities,"
Williams says.

In October, Wilford Hall trauma and critical care teams responded to a plane
crash in Manta, Ecuador, at the request of the U.S. Southern Command. Many
people were seriously injured in that crash.

Wilford Hall officials called the assistance mission a success. The Ecuador
effort illustrates only part of San Antonio's ability to serve the U.S.
Southern Command region in a disaster response role, Carlton says.
Currently, the U.S. Southern Command is headquartered at Howard Air Force
Base in Panama.

While awaiting action on the Global Medical Center designation, Carlton says
that San Antonio officials must continue to focus on the local integration
of the trauma centers here. A plan already has been presented to the
Department of Defense by local military health-care leaders that calls for
dedicating up to 1,200 hospital beds for victims of conflict or disaster.
Wilford Hall and BAMC would provide 800 beds, while University Hospital and
Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veteran's Hospital would provide the remaining
beds.

The proposal also calls for establishing the San Antonio trauma centers as a
national training center for the military. That proposal is still being
reviewed by the Department of Defense.

Wilford Hall and BAMC are already conducting some limited trauma training
for the Department of Defense. The two hospitals have been integrating
training programs for some time. Plans are in the works to integrate
University Hospital into that trauma-training program as well, according to
a University official.

Currently, the three facilities also are working together to coordinate
their graduate medical-education programs in order to create a unified
civilian, Army and Air Force residency program, a University official says.