-Caveat Lector-

Don't get me wrong here, as far as I'm concerned the Federal Reserve is the
biggest scam ever run. Print money from debt and charge interest on it. The
biggest money maker is fractional reserve banking where Fed banks can lend
out 9 times the amount of Fed notes they have on hand at interest. I'm
playing devil's advocate here. Edward Flaherty has lorded it over the
Internet with his "the Fed's a public spirited Org" line of BS for several
years. I've read Edward Griffin's book "The Creature From Jekyll Island,"
Tony Suttons's "The Federal Reserve Conspiracy," "The Debt Virus" by
Jainkarin and watched the Money Masters video set, but I'm still not
confidant that I could debate Flaherty convincingly. Gavin.
Below is Flaherty's opinion, not mine.

In a message dated 10/16/99 4:41:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< In a message dated 10/16/99 12:56:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 writes:

 > Schauf and the Coalition argue this would be an "interest-free" form of
 >  currency.  However, there is no functional difference between U.S. Notes
 and
 >  the Federal Reserve notes we now use.  Neither impose a net interest
burden
 >  on the Treasury.  The key difference between the two currencies is who
 >  controls the issuance.  The publicly-appointed Board of Governors now
 >  controls the emissions of Federal ReserveNotes and can make monetary
policy
 >  decisions largely independent of political pressure.

 The idea that the monetary policy is free of political pressure is patently
 absurd on the face of it.  The FED Chairman routinely makes decisions based
 on political expediency and pressure, viz his raising and lowering of
 interest rates to abate inflation or spur the economy.

***********************************

 "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
 mind to correlate all its contents.
   We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
 and it is not meant that we should
   voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
 hitherto harmed us little; but someday
   the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
 vistas of reality, and of our
   frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
 or flee from the deadly light into the
   peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"