-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-10-18 06:59:24 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>     Through them, primarily, and through those who influenced
>them, we will discover more of what might be called the OCCULT
>side of Hegel's philosophy, with one foot in Lutheran Pietism
>(a native mystical development within the peculiarly German form
>of Protestant Christianity) but the other more in PRE-Christian
>visions, through Greco-Roman Neoplatonism -- the object of much
>admiration among Romantics and key source of their inspiration.
>(In fact, one would not be far from wrong in simply saying that
>Idealism is Neoplatonism wearing Teutonic attire.)

     I don't have my notes in front of me, so I can't be more precise and
documentably accurate and name names here ... but among the cast of
characters in the province where Hegel taught --a province under the rule of
princes who were presiding officers of German Freemasonry and supporters of
the Illuminati-- Hegel had very good friends who were "artists" involved in
the Romantic movement, and THESE were close associates of important German
"Rosicrucians."  (Some of these Rosicrucians WERE familiar with the Kabbalah;
and since Hegel's companions included educated Jews who would have recognized
the Kabbalah as a form of "philosophy," the possible influence of Kabbalah,
which you suggest, is no doubt involved here somewhere.)  As for RELIGION --a
subject about which Hegel (who felt a priestly "calling") was ambivalent--
there has always been a kind of "fraternal" bond between the Lutherans and
Rosicrucians, from Melanchthon on.  Moreover, the "Rosicrucian" perspective
included elements from Neoplatonism, and Neoplatonic cosmology shared many
points in common with the KABBALAH, so ...

     It might seem rather vague and over-general, even when "narrowed down"
like this, UNTIL one goes deeper into the "detective business" of identifying
specifics like WHAT (exactly) was an influence on WHOM (individually), as
Person X discussed it (WHEN, WHERE) with Person Y (or Person Y otherwise
encountered it in such-and-such a form, for instance by reading a book by
Person X), and WHO knew WHO well enough to
make likely an exchange of ideas, and we keep the focus on SPECIFIC concepts
rather
than larger "schools of thought" (there are SEVERAL) in which these may be
found,
as we play "connect the dots" in history, delineating the "chain(s) of
transmission" ...
     But THAT, I'm afraid, must await the day when I have more free time to
follow up on the clues from my preliminary investigations and then present
the results in writing.
     For now, just an SKETCH, from CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence, will have to do