From:                   "Michael Albert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Here then is today's ZNet Commentary...
-------------------------
Class Politics in America: A Fashionable Consumer Item?
By Cynthia Peters

I spent $44.00 recently to see Dario Fo's farce about hunger, free-market
injustice, sexism, and class injustice at the American Repetory Theater in
Harvard Square. Dario Fo, "who emulates the jesters of the Middle Ages in
scourging authority and upholding the dignity of the downtrodden," won the
Nobel Prize for Literature in 1997 for his ability to "open our eyes to
abuses and injustices in society."

"We Won't Pay! We Won't Pay!" is the story of Italian housewives'
rebellious response to spiraling inflation. Unable to afford even the most
basic necessities, they spontaneously revolt and simply take what they
need from the store, many of them stuffing the food in their dresses so
that they look pregnant. What follows is a slapstick two hours of
political satire about the nature of work, authority, overbearing
husbands, and women in the final stages of "pregnancy" who leak pickle
juice and olives instead of amniotic fluid.

The play miraculously meshes great comedy and class politics. Although set
in Italy in 1974, the ART production weaves in contemporary U.S.
references - including out-of-character impersonations of Nixon, Reagan
and Clinton - that work to jolt the audience out of its reverie and remind
U.S. theater-goers of the relevance and urgency of these same issues
today. As the Nobel Committee said, "Fo's strength is in the creation of
texts that simultaneously amuse, engage and provide perspectives. As in
commedia dell'arte, they are always open for creative additions and
dislocations, continually encouraging the actors to improvise, which means
that the audience is activated in a remarkable way."

So, I wonder, how was the Cambridge audience activated that night?

At intermission, a well-manicured woman wearing tasteful jewelry and
expensive clothes, tapped a roll of dollar bills on the bar. There was a
long line. She exuded impatience. Finally, the bartender - dressed in an
ill-fitting red vest that was part of his ART uniform and a symbol of his
"place" in the theater - asked her what she wanted. "Bottled water," was
the reply. "We're all out," he answered. Long pause. "That's impossible,"
she said, still tapping the bills, "I've come here many times and you've
never been out of bottled water before!"

It was a ludicrous statement, and the bartender let it hang in the air for
a while. Maintaining a neutral expression, he then pointed to where she
could find the water fountain.

I watched this well-off member of the audience bring all her class
privilege to bear on the situation. She was outraged. She wanted bottled
water. She was accustomed to getting what she wanted. She was willing to
PAY for what she wanted. She did not seem to be willing to take no for an
answer.

The irony of her actions seemed to completely escape this woman. While
inside the theater, the story unfolds of desperately hungry people
demanding their rights and their dignity from the powers that be, outside
the theater at the concession stand, an upper class woman demands
overpriced bottled water from a worker with no power.

The episode at the concession stand underscored what was discordant about
the whole night. What was this play doing at the high-brow ART? Who were
the attendees, and what did they make of the radical politics, the
explicit descriptions of rote deadening factory work and powerlessness on
the job? I believe that theater has the power to affect people and prick
their consciousness and even inspire them to action, but on this night I
wondered if theater wasn't more of an opportunity for wealthy people to
consume a point of view. The play takes place in Italy, after all. Far
away and a long time ago. And the show's sidesplitting comedy makes the
evening extremely enjoyable despite what reviewers considered the annoying
preachiness of the political message. Ed Siegel in the Boston Globe felt
that the "message" of the play distracted from its entertainment value.
"You may not rise to your feet yelling `Vive La Revolution' at the end . .
. A simple "Bravo! Brava!" would be entirely appropriate."

Like the recent expensively produced coffee table book version of The
Communist Manifesto, "We Won't Pay! We Won't Pay!" came across, at least
in this particular production at this particular location, as an
opportunity to dabble in but keep your distance from the "other" class. It
reminds me of the Gap, selling pricey versions of construction workers'
clothes, while at the same time featuring models in vests with the
caption, "Everyone in vests." Perhaps "everyone" who shops at the Gap does
invest. And they wear pants with hammer loops while they do it.

Oscar award winning lead actress Marisa Tomei seems to have been affected
by Antonia, the character she plays. In her interview with Cate McQuaid in
the Boston Globe, Tomei says of Antonia, "What she's saying, I believe.
It's an anarchist's point of view. If we're not getting what we want from
the government, it's OK to break the rules and cause a riot. It's where
you'd get so frustrated, you'd act out of a place of just needing to
survive. My sympathies are there."

What I wish for Tomei is that she take her sympathies back to Hollywood
and find a way to distribute some of the wealth of herself and her peers
to neighborhood and grassroots theaters and theater troupes. Put "We Won't
Pay! We Won't Pay!" on the road. Get it out of stuffy Harvard Square and
share the wealth of its comedy, satire and political message with people
in diverse communities, union halls, and schools. Let it be not a $44
night on the town for those who can afford a brush with class politics,
but an affordable experience of entertainment and enlightenment shared by
a wide range of people. Perhaps people who are actually engaged in a
struggle to get real needs met - beyond the occasional scarcity of bottled
water, that is.

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.