-Caveat Lector-

Falun Gong Sect Outlawed In China
07/09/99

 It seemed almost inevitable.  Calling it an 'illegal
organization', Chinese officials yesterday banned the practice of
Falun Gong and arrested several followers.  Members of the
Chinese sect, which combines elememts of Buddhism, Taoism, and
qigong, had posed the biggest political threat to the Communist
government of China since the Tiananmen Square protests a decade
ago.

The group, founded by Li Hongzhi in 1992, claims to have a
following of over 100 million members worldwide.  More than
10,000 practitioners stunned the security-conscious government on
April 25 when they surrounded the Zhongnanhai leadership compound
in central Beijing in a silent, daylong demonstration for
official recognition.  Although that protest ended peacefully,
other demonstrations have been ongoing in major cities around
China.

  FALUN GONG SPIRITUAL GOALS

--``Open up all the energy channels in the body.''

--``Attain wisdom and enhance one's energy level.''

--``Mix and exchange the energy from both the cosmos and human
    body to rapidly purify the body.''

--``Circulate energy smoothly throughout the body.''

--``Attain clear and pure mind, to strengthen supernormal powers
    and to increase energy potency.''

- from the SF Gate; "Spiritual Revival: Falun Gong grows in
popularity in U.S., China"

The beliefs of Falong Gong (also known as Falun Dafa) are a
mixture of several Chinese philosophies, including qigong, a
traditional Chinese practice that uses meditation and martial
arts exercises to channel unseen forces and improve health.
According to Li Hongzhi, founder of the faith:  "We take the
criterion of the supreme cosmic qualities ‘Zhen, Shan, Ren’
(Truth, Compassion, Forbearance) as our guidance in cultivation.
We do our cultivation according to the evolution principle of the
cosmos. Therefore, what we cultivate is the Great Law and the
Great Way."

The Chinese Government has reportedly been concerned about the
political power of the Falun movement for some time.  In
statements released on Thursday, officials claimed that the sect
had "hurt people's health and led people into mental confusion,
fear and loss of their reason, into stupor and hysteria. Some
have gone crazy, others have died or murdered their relatives."
Security sources in Beijing said the police and People's Armed
Police had been instructed to make mass arrests of members who
continued to "make trouble" outside government offices.

Li Hongzhi has called on the Chinese government not to treat the
sect as enemies.  "It is my hope that the Chinese government and
its leadership will not treat the people who practice Falun Gong
as enemies,'' said Hongzhi in a statement posted on the Falun
Dafa Website.  "The consequences would cause people to lose
confidence in the government and its leadership and to be
disappointed in the Chinese government.''

Is Falun Gong harmful, or the victim of political pressure? Speak
your mind in the Forum!

More On Falun Gong (Falun Dafa):

Falun Dafa

The official website of the faith, includes resources and texts
from Master Li, as well as news, a schedule of events, and
listings of worldwide websites.

Master Li's Works

>From Falun Dafa in North Carolina.  A listing of many online
books and essays written by Master Li, both in Chinese and
English.

The Falun Emblem

An explanation of the emblem used to represent the Falun, and how
it portrays the forces involved.

Protesters Gather Despite Ban

>From the Nando Times.  Despite the official ban on Falun Gong,
members are continuing to protest on Friday.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/weekly/aa072399.htm

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.