-Caveat Lector-

10 22 99
If corporations can do it so can citizens. Vote in ONLY politicians who
will change the corporate laws to OUR benefit.

Joshua2
==========

Ohio House Bill 78 the "modernization" of general corporation law is on
its way to Ohio Gov. Taft for his signature.  This bill is anything
but, a modernization of corporation law.  Rather than making corporate
law more transparent and providing for disclosure, HB78 makes
corporate law more opaque and provides for secrecy.

HB78, also grants further legal immunities to corporate directors and
officers.  It changes the focus of the law from having
directors/officers proving they were not acting against shareholder
interests to saying they were not acting against shareholder interests!

I found out about this bill on Columbus Day and started alertring our
USWA and AFL-CIO worthies in Ohio.  HB 78 was total stealth legislation.
The corporations wanted it and wanted it bad and none of our friends
of labor in the general assembly had tipped us off!

At this point we are still not sure what all is in this bill or what it
all means.  This bill is not strictly a labor bill because it will have
an effect on the citizens of  Ohio in general.  The bill could effect
such diverse constituencies as 401(k)'s invested in an employee's own
company's stock, esops, savings and loans, widows&orphans and tax
abatements etc. etc.

Our friends of labor have said on this legislation, whoever thought
organized labor would be interested in a corporate law bill?  Our
friends of labor have forgotten that we negotiate and deal with
corporations everyday and in everyway.  If HB78 had been a labor law
bill---you can be damn sure the corporations would have been all over
it!

So far, only two Ohio newspapers have picked up on this story.  One of the two
newspapers
planning stories is thanks to Seth Ackerman of Fair/Extra!