-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-10-22 17:42:08 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>16 and 2.4 kHz
>    Beta Waves...........................................15.7 cps
>    Alpha Waves..........................................7.85 cps
>    Theta Waves...........................................6.66 cps

Those numbers are AVERAGES only.  Frequencies vary individually and across
time, as well as by locus, that is, the DEPTH of cerebral tissue penetrated
by electrodes.
Also, these may in fact not be all that important, since there have been
claims for the existence of a "whole-brain" frequency (360 cps?) that
harmonizes the above three,
which already exist as "harmonics" with a ratio of 1:2:3.

In contrast to the "biofeedback" faddists of the '70s, who took some basic
brainwave discoveries and ran quite a long distance with them, today's
researchers in electro- encephalography are more sophisticated and not so
given to pat answers ...  "Popular" science (for the "masses") is itself a
form of "mind control," since it plays fast and loose with the facts and
over-emphasizes certain things to the detriment of any larger truth.

Back in the early '70s, when I was an EEG test subject at UCSF's Langley
Porter Neuropsychiatric Institute, working under Dr Joe Kamiya (the
discoverer, or at least promoter, of the "alpha wave"), I happened to find
the good doctor's office unlocked and vacant one day ... and I found there,
on his bookshelf, a recently *declassified* paper on "brainwaves" (translated
into English from an Italian translation of the Russian) which included a
listing of the brainwave frequencies identified by Stalin's Soviet scientists
-- and there were more than a DOZEN, correlated with SPECIFIC mental
functions ...
That degree of expertise, according to the text, was achieved in the late
FORTIES ...