-Caveat Lector-

<A
HREF="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_dougherty_com/19991025_xcjod_the_da
nger.shtml"> The dangers of a disarmed society </A>

The dangers of
a disarmed society

© 1999 WorldNetDaily.com
I don't often write about the same subject twice in a
week, but I received a pro-gun/pro-safety response
from an interesting fellow last Thursday after I wrote a
column about the absurdity of disarming all Americans.
I thought readers would find it useful in making their
case that the gun issue really does revolve around
safety, not just rights.
This is his message:
"Just read your article on Maryland's attorney general
wanting to ban handguns for most. Your conclusions
are correct. "We have lived for a number of years in
Kenya. There ALL guns are banned, including toy guns
that look like guns. The only exception is for small bore
shotguns for bird hunting, which are owned by a select
few. These guns must be stored in the local police
station armory. They can be checked out only during
hunting season. It takes an act of parliament to get
shells.
"Yet in Kenya any criminal that wants one can get a
gun.
"My wife and a friend were robbed at gunpoint near
Mombassa. Their vehicle was taken also and they were
left standing on the side of the road. As they were
walking along they heard shots. The same crooks who
had just robbed them, robbed and killed a tourist down
the road. And this is in a nation where the police go
around with automatic weapons.
"They (the police), by the way, shoot to kill all the time.
I worked as a pilot and the airport had armed police
everywhere and lots of 'security.' One day, in front of
our hangar, a Kenyan made the mistake of touching the
policeman's rifle. He died for that mistake, right there in
the parking lot. One night in Nairobi, next to my house,
a person was lurking in a nearby empty lot. The police
came and blew him away with automatic rifle fire. Shoot
first and no questions, now or later.
"Make no mistake, when only the police have guns, no
one is safe. But even wanton killing by police does not
deter crime. The only safety is when you're at home and
behind locked bars. Bars everywhere, doors, windows,
gates, everywhere. We had to have a security guard,
armed with a machete, and a locked gate and wall
around our house. Day and night. Terrible way to live.
"And there is still no safety. There are home invasions
there too, where 20 or 30 thugs come with wrecking
bars and break into houses. Happens all the time. The
police for the most part had no cars for transportation.
Call 999 (911) and if the phone happened to be
working, the response would be on foot or by public
bus.
"Another friend was robbed once, during the day. The
police came and when they were standing in line for the
bus to go back to the stationhouse they noticed
someone standing there in line also, with the loot they
recognized from the same robbery they came to
investigate. The person started to run, so they blew him
away too. Our friend felt real bad someone had to die
over mere 'stuff.'
"I am a gun owner and don't like the NRA, but when
they say, 'when guns are outlawed then only outlaws
will have guns,' they are correct. Then, no one is safe."
This gentleman wrote me again last Friday, telling me
that he'd still jump at the chance to make a pilgrimage to
Kenya, even to this day, and he was emphatic that all
parts of Africa are not similar. But he added that even in
a country with a well-armed police force, criminals
who still manage to acquire "tightly regulated and
prohibited" firearms commit ghastly crimes, including
murder, rape and robbery.
Alas -- and in keeping with the notion of tying gun rights
to the issue of overall safety -- that is the point this man
is trying to make.
Point taken, as they say.
Still I wonder, how many vehement anti-gunners will
simply never get the message until it is they who are
confronted with this threat and there is nobody around
to help and no way to help themselves? Will it be only
then they will ask themselves -- right before a criminal
puts a gun to their head -- why they didn't realize
sooner that indeed the issue of gun rights was really an
issue of personal safety all along?
Writing about the wisdom of opposing abortion, Alan
Keyes last week made some brilliant points about
avoiding the pitfalls of painting all who oppose your
point of view as "immoral" slobs with no consciences.
He's right; some very well-meaning people who are
otherwise very well informed and compassionate about
a variety of issues still cannot see the wisdom in
supporting gun rights, either as a matter of constitutional
law and freedom or as a matter of enhancing personal
and community safety. We shouldn't, as Mr. Keyes
suggested, simply write these people off as our enemies
and fail to engage them in reasonable dialogue, debate
and discussion. Instead, we need to demonstrate that it
is because we care about them -- as well as ourselves
-- that we support the Constitution's reaffirmation of our
God-given right to self defense and our nation's
common goal of providing safety and security in our
homes, our workplaces and our communities as a
whole.
If anything, the gentleman who shared his Kenyan
experiences with state-sponsored gun control and the
utter lack of safety such a concept provides will go a
long way toward making these points.
As a qualifier, I would like to add that in no way would
I (or he) suggest that American police officers are or
could be capable of such behavior. But let's face reality:
We all know from experience that oftentimes their
superiors certainly are capable of it (Waco comes to
mind). For our own personal safety -- and the safety of
our way of life and form of government -- we should
work strenuously to avoid repeating the mistakes of
others, mistakes dictated simply by human nature, in the
arena of total gun control.
Perhaps if the other media and government leaders did
not behave the way WND Editor Joe Farah described
Friday -- ignoring acts or events they have deemed
"politically incorrect" -- more Americans would have
the freedom to decide for themselves just how safe they
want to be.

Jon E. Dougherty is a staff writer for
WorldNetDaily.