-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: STRAIGHT PANIC
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 17:49:41 -0600 (CST)
From: John Aravosis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

GAY PANIC VS. STRAIGHT PANIC
Reading the news the last few days about the ‘gay panic’ defense in the
Shepard case got me thinking. If straight people can argue that it’s ok to
kill gays just because they’re gay, should gay people be allowed to invoke
a ‘straight panic’ defense in order to justify killing straight people? In
order to envision such a world, I wrote the following fictional news story.
It’s a tongue-in-cheek parody that I think gets the point across. Hope no
one is offended by my trying to use a little humor to prove a point.

November 1, 1999
Straight Panic Defense Plead in Hair-Spray Murder

WEST HOLLYWOOD - On the fifth day of the high-profile Six-Pack murder
trial, openly gay defendant Robert McKinney surprised the court room by
invoking a risky defense know as "straight panic."

"It was eleven o'clock when I saw him across the bar," McKinney said of the
victim in testimony today. "He was drinking a Bud, his belt and shoes
didn't match, and he had really bad hair. It was sickening."

McKinney is charged with the June 3, 1999 hair-spraying death of Joseph A.
Six-Pack, Jr., 33. Six-Pack was leaving Champion's Sport Bar in downtown
Los Angeles when McKinney reportedly accosted him with a bottle of Aussie
Sprunch Spray, mega-hold. According to witnesses, the victim succumbed
almost immediately.

"Something just snapped," McKinney told the court. "Six-Pack was in the
corner, belching and calling everybody 'dude'. I felt totally humiliated."

Invoking the straight-panic defense, attorneys for the defendant argued
that McKinney erupted "savagely" not because he was some sort of
hetero-phobe who had never crossed paths with a straight guy, but because
of his own painful heterosexual experiences. At the age of 7, McKinney was
forced to play Little League and touch-
football, defense attorney John Tarrington announced. "Robert will tell you
this embarrassed him. He did carry it with him."

In an unexpected boost to the defense, witnesses say the victim made
physical advances towards others in the bar prior to the altercation with
McKinney, suggesting a pattern of sexual misconduct. "I spoke with Joe
[Six-Pack] about an hour before he died," said Tom Murphy, an acquaintance
of the victim. "He told a really bad joke and then tried to high-five me,"
Murphy said. "I told him I wasn't that kind of guy."

Adding to the drama, a handful of self-described "family values" protesters
picketed outside the courthouse today holding "God Hates Hets" signs.
"Those people deserve to burn in hell - they're a danger to our children,"
the Rev. Fred Welps warned. "Ever notice how many straight people have
straight kids?", he asked. "You do the math."

In closing, attorney Tarrington said McKinney only intended to fix
Six-Pack's hair. The lawyer repeated over and over again through his
30-minute statement that McKinney told police, "I was just trying to help.
I didn't want to kill him." Six-Pack was found dead on the scene. The
coroner reported that his hair was flawless.

You'll usually receive one to two emails per week - sometimes more when big
issues are breaking.

Please visit some of our Web sites:
* Matthew Shepard Online Resources -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/shepard.html
* AOL Anti-Gay & Anti-Jewish Member Profiles -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/profile.htm
* Nazi Anti-Jewish Speech vs. Religious Right Anti-Gay Speech -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/hitler.html
* Mugged by AOL - A Gay Man Loses His Good Name to the World's Largest
Internet Provider - http://www.wiredstrategies.com/mugged.html
* AOL Punishes Gay Man Seeking Safe Sex Info -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/aids.html
* Timothy McVeigh AOL Privacy Case -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/mcveigh.htm
* Merriam-Webster/AOL Anti-gay Thesaurus -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/thesaurus.html
* Ex-Gays Implode - http://www.wiredstrategies.com/exgay.htm
* Gay Pride Rome 1999 - http://www.wiredstrategies.com/pride.htm
* Sandals Resorts & Anti-gay Sweepstakes -
http://www.wiredstrategies.com/resort.html

"In Germany, the Nazis first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I w
asn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for the Catholics, but I didn't
speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that
time there was no one left to speak up for me."

 - Martin Niemoeller, Berlin Lutheran pastor arrested by the Gestapo and
sent to Dachau concentration camp in 1938; the Allied forces freed him
seven years later.