-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.zolatimes.com/V3.43/pageone.html
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.zolatimes.com/V3.43/pageone.html">Laissez
Faire City Times - Volume 3 Issue 43</A>
-----
November 8, 1999 - Volume 3, Issue 43
Editor & Chief: Emile Zola
-----
A Ride in the IRS Taxi

by Sunni Maravillosa

As if the public school system isn't proof enough that the United States
federal government officials are working hard to indoctrinate young people
with their collectivist mindset, the Internal Revenue Service has really
provided the last straw. It's a beauty, too—a more blatant propaganda than
one usually finds. The IRS has developed an "online interactive web site", Tax
i (http://www.irs.gov/taxi/), that is targeted at teens. Slickly presented,
with eye- catching graphics and the latest slang, the goal of the site seems
to be to make taxes cool.
Taxi works very hard at that goal, with examples that are intended to appeal
to teens, and an informal, conversational style that belies the seriousness
of the IRS message: You vill pay zese taxes, und you vill like it! While
browsing it, I wondered to what degree teenagers—an already naturally
suspicious group—will accept the slanted presentation. I remember being
particularly cautious as a teen when any adult tried to be cool when talking
to me; it was a signal that they wanted something. My intuition is that teens
who visit this site will react similarly, because Taxi has the same two
strikes against it: it is written by adults who want younger people to buy
their message; and it practically screams, "I'm cool!" in a pathetic way.
Taxi is an informative web site. It is also fairly comprehensive, addressing
different levels of taxes and what they are used for, as well as progressive,
regressive, and proportional taxation. There's even a page that offers easy
to understand definitions of many tax-related terms. Sprinkled throughout are
historical facts that lend an air of credibility and solidity to the site.
More interesting to me, however, is the unintentional bits of information it
communicates. One need not be an advocate of freedom to wonder why the IRS is
trying to steer one's thoughts so carefully around certain issues and to
specific conclusions.
In presenting the federal government's role in taxation, for example, Taxi
states that the first states were sovereign territories that "chose to give
up some power to the Federal Government for the collective good." This
contradicts the traditional historical interpretation that the states each
saw that their self-interest lay in pooling their resources for certain
tasks, such as defense, and that they were rightly suspicious about a strong
federal government. By choosing to cast history in that context, however, it
becomes easier to talk about government's "services" providing for the common
good today; accepting this idea is crucial for accepting the state in its
present leeching form. The discussion of the federal government also presents
an interesting bit on its "responsibilities"; the list given includes helping
the disabled and elderly and paying for FBI agents, medical research, and air
traffic controllers. Not surprisingly, there's no mention of how these
responsibilities came into the purview of the feds, no hint that it could be
otherwise, and no mention that tasks that the federal government is not
specifically authorized to do by the US Constitution are prohibited to it.
Yet, it's difficult to think that an alert mind that comes across that list
wouldn't recognize its breadth and wonder why it's the government's
responsibility to do those things.

Paying One's "Fair Share"

In discussing the income tax the web site takes on a stronger tone, stating
in regards to personal earnings on at least one page that "not all that money
belongs to you." But rather than stating that it "belongs" to someone else—a
claim that the IRS knows it cannot support—it falls back on the argument that
the taxes are needed to pay for government services. Then, after presenting
an analogy comparing government services to pizza toppings (that's one pizza
guaranteed to make many people ill), Taxi hits teens where they tend to be
sensitive: what other people might think about them if they don't pay their
"fair share" of taxes. However, in other places, Taxi speaks approvingly of
shifting taxes to other people. This disparity comes up often enough to leave
most visitors wondering which is better—paying one's "share" or trying to
shove it off to someone else.
Voluntary compliance receives a lot of attention on the Taxi site, not
surprisingly. In a rare bit of honesty, the site admits that the IRS relies
heavily on citizens to police themselves. Yet not too far above this
definition, "taxes" are defined as "required payments of money to the
government." Again, the difference between approaches should be sufficient to
set many visitors to wondering why the IRS leaves compliance a voluntary
choice when tax payments are required.
Other interesting items include the definition of "benefits received", which
tries very hard to obscure the fact that many people pay taxes on government
aid— which originates from taxes paid. And the entry on social security is so
laughably vague that it alone is sufficient to call into question the
veracity of the rest of the information the site presents. Given the
attention the topic regularly receives in the media, one might think that Taxi
 would delve into the issues at least a little, in an attempt to counter the
projections of failure that abound. Instead, social security is airily
defined as "America's government-run retirement plan", and the site
reassuringly croons: "One day… you'll get the money back."
That one entry is emblematic of the entire Taxi web site: it's a shallow
treatment of an important topic that many teens are as concerned about as
their parents. In trying to be persuasive and hip, the Taxi site designers
chose to offer smoke and mirrors instead of substance, perhaps thinking that
their intended audience wouldn't notice. Some probably won't, but my
experience with younger Americans leads me to suspect that most will notice,
and will be offended by the bait and switch. Those of us who cherish liberty
and want to advance it for ourselves as well as future generations can learn
important lessons from the Taxi site.
First, I interpret the existence of this site as evidence that pro-freedom
ideas are having an impact among younger Americans, and that has the feds
worried. We cannot leave it to chance that these individuals, full of promise
and energy, will find information on freedom on their own. The state knows
what's at stake here; that's why they are so willing to invest energy into
sites like Taxi. Although our side doesn't have the resources available that
the state does, we also don't face many of the same challenges. Rather than
needing to gloss over certain facts and avoid obvious discrepancies, the
value of liberty is straightforward to explain. A parody of the Taxi site
would be an obvious way to highlight the differences between a coercive
system and a free one.
Desperate to perpetuate their herd of willing sheep, the IRS is using the
same approach that many parents use, with the same limited success—talking at
younger people, instead of to them. Yes, style does matter to them, but
substance matters more. We forget—or overlook—that at our peril. Without
needing to sidestep, backtrack, and redefine terms in order to try to
persuade a younger audience, a libertarian message can offer comparatively
much more substance than the state's message, and still do so in an
entertaining way. The freedom philosophy advances freedom for everyone; by
showing that its advocates take younger Americans seriously, our success in
sharing ideas becomes that much closer.
There are many battles being waged in this war of ideas—Second Amendment,
states' rights, the War on (Some) Drugs being only a few examples—yet those
who want freedom cannot afford to ignore this front. It may be that our last,
best hope for liberty rests not with us, but with future generations. Are we
willing to cede them to the state so easily?

Sunni Maravillosa is a psychologist and web mistress for the Liberty Round
Table (URL http://home.lrt.org/ ).
-30-
from The Laissez Faire City Times, Vol 3, No 43, November 8, 1999
-----
Published by
Laissez Faire City Netcasting Group, Inc.
Copyright 1998 - Trademark Registered with LFC Public Registrar
All Rights Reserved
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.