-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-11-09 02:57:52 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>CAIRO -- Egypt's government-owned press has now raised the possibility that
>EgyptAir Flight 990 was downed in an attack meant to stop the training of
>Egyptian airmen in the United States.
>
>The government Al Akhbar daily said the presence of 33 Egyptian officers on
>board the doomed flight on Oct. 31 has raised suspicion of foul play.
>"Sabotage is thus highly possible," the newspaper said on Sunday.
>
>Egyptian military sources said the officers were training to fly the Apache
>AH->64D helicopter. The officers in the crash included a brigadier general.

Subj:   "Bright Star" / Falling Star
Date:   99-11-02 05:14:26 EST
From:   Das GOAT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     "Libya's Moammar Gaddafi, denounced in the West as a sponsor of
terrorism, delivered a lengthy diatribe against the United States.
     ``I am against Operation Bright Star,' he said, 'because it poses a
threat to the independence of Egypt and other Arab countries.'"

Libya's Gaddafi says Arabs must fight imperialists

By Mahmoud Kassem

CAIRO, Oct 29 (Reuters) - Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Friday decried
``imperialist powers'' in the Middle East and said Arabs must fight their
military presence with force.

``The Arab world has been colonised, and it needs to be liberated once more
with the rifle...like before the First World War,'' Gaddafi said in an
interview on the London-based MBC satellite station monitored by Reuters in
Cairo on Friday.

``Military imperialism is back now...it's a real imperialism with tanks and
guns and soldiers which needs to be fought.''

Gaddafi, 57, in power since 1969 but marginalised in the Arab world and
denounced in the West as a sponsor of terrorism, delivered a lengthy diatribe
against the United States and other Western military powers involved in the
region.

``I am against Operation Bright Star (and other military operations) because
they pose a threat to the independence of Egypt, Libya and the Arab
countries,'' he said, adding that the United States was increasingly
encroaching on the Arab world with 20,000 soldiers based there.

About 73,000 troops from 11 countries took part last week in the Operation
Bright Star manoeuvres, the largest gathering of coalition troops since the
1991 Gulf War, waged to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi forces.

U.S. Defence Secretary William Cohen had said of the countries taking part:
``These are nations committed to cooperation and consultation, not
confrontation.''

``We (Arabs) take orders from America like a soldier...The Arab world is
great, we have oil and gas, and a big market and strategic capabilities,''
Gaddafi said.

``How does America make the Arab world kneel down when it should be the other
way round?''

``But the Arabs are not ready to (make Americans kneel down to them),'' he
added.

Since failing to rally fellow Arab leaders to calls for a united Arab nation,
Gaddafi has taken up the banner of African unity.

He said his other dream of a United States of Africa would restore dignity to
countries despoiled by colonialism, and he urged other Arab countries, which
he said were part of Africa, to share his vision.

``I have faith in Africa, we have to create a United States of Africa. A
United States of Africa is stronger than the United States of America,'' he
said.