-Caveat Lector-

National City Bank (now Citibank) was founded by James Stillman and William
Rockefeller.  James Stillman had an interesting career in Texas prior to
taking his father's blockade running money to New York to start the bank.
As can be seen from the following excerpts, Citibank has long-standing ties
with Mexico.

Linda Minor

from:
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/web_fetch_doc?dataset=tsha.dst&db=handboo
k&doc_id=4672&query=stillman

STILLMAN, JAMES (1850-1918). James Stillman, son of Elizabeth Pamela
(Goodrich) and Charles Stillman,qv was born on June 9, 1850, at Brownsville,
Texas. He took over his father's financial and mercantile empire in New
York, Texas, and Mexico in 1872 and turned it into the controlling interest
in the National City Bank in New York and the most powerful force in the
development of the Rio Grande valley. He greatly expanded the interests in
Texas that he inherited from his father. His Texas holdings included the
bonds of sixteen banks; control of land-development companies in the lower
Rio Grande valley,qv Corpus Christi, and Kerrville; an interest in the
Swenson Ranch; and, with the other three members of the "Big Four"- W. H.
Harriman, Jacob Henry Schiff,qv and William Rockefeller-control of most
Texas railroads. The Big Four served as directors under his chairmanship on
the board, put together by Stillman, of the National City Bank. They
controlled the Texas and Pacific, the Southern Pacific, the
International-Great Northern, the Union Pacific Southern, the St. Louis,
Brownsville and Mexico, and the Mexican National, which ran from Corpus
Christi to Mexico City and from the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico
terminus on the border at Brownsville to the Mexican capital.

In 1876 Stillman supported the successful Revolution of Tuxtepec, conducted
by Mexican general Porfirio Díaz from Brownsville, which resulted in the
overthrow of the Mexican government. Díaz's partisans called themselves the
"railroaders." During the fighting Stillman purchased 100 percent of the
riparian rights to the Rio Grande at Brownsville and up the river for an
indeterminate distance. He sold two-thirds interest in those rights to the
Mexican National Railroad in the 1890s. In 1880 Stillman, his employee
Thomas Carson, who was the mayor of Brownsville, James Belden, and other
Brownsville men received the concession from the Mexican president for the
railroad to be built from Matamoros to Monterrey, where Stillman and Belden
had large investments. During the twentieth century Stillman's enormous
properties along the border were developed and sold by the American Rio
Grande Land and Irrigation Company of Mercedes, a confidential subsidiary of
the National City Bank. Although Stillman's interests became global and he
held more than 20 percent of the stock in the world's largest bank, he
retained his father's $200,000 share in George W. Brackenridge'sqv San
Antonio National Bank throughout his life. He used that and his father's
long ties with Brackenridge to develop property in West Texas and Mexico.
His heirs expressed surprise when Brackenridge's will returned the $200,000
to them; they had apparently lost track of it. Stillman's two daughters
married sons of his lifelong close friend William Rockefeller, the chairman
of the board of the Standard Oil Company. Stillman died on March 15, 1918,
in New York City.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: John K. Winkler, The First Billion: The Stillmans and the
National City Bank (New York: Vanguard, 1934).

John Mason Hart

=====
http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/web_fetch_doc?dataset=tsha.dst&db=handboo
k&doc_id=4671&query=stillman

STILLMAN, CHARLES (1810-1875). Charles Stillman, son of Francis and Harriet
(Robbins) Stillman, was born at Wethersfield, Connecticut, on November 4,
1810. In February 1828 he went by way of New Orleans to Matamoros. In Mexico
he developed a network of mercantile and industrial enterprises, including
cotton brokerage and real estate firms, silver mines in Nuevo León and
Tamaulipas, merchandise outlets, a shipping company that carried passengers
and goods from the Gulf Coast up the river as far as Rio Grande City, and an
off-loading, warehousing, and transportation company that carried goods to
the Mexican interior as far as Guadalajara. Stillman and his partner, José
Morell, established retailing outlets and founded one of the first textile
factories at Monterrey. Stillman's Vallecillo mines, between Laredo and
Monterrey, produced more than $4 million in silver and lead during the
1850s, and he sold their stock on the New York Stock Exchange.

During the Mexican War Richard King and Mifflin Kenedy joined Stillman in
the transport company hauling American troops up the river and supplying
them. In the aftermath of the Mexican defeat Stillman purchased massive
properties of the Garza grant north and northwest of Matamoros from the
children of the first wife of José Narciso Cavazos. The sellers, however,
had no legal right to make such a sale, since their father had remarried and
the heirs of his second wife, led by the eldest son, Juan N. Cortina,qv
inherited the land from their father upon his death. The excluded children
of the first wife "sold" not only the family estates but also the ejido or
community property of Matamoros, which was inalienable under Spanish and
Mexican law. Nevertheless, Stillman started a town company to sell lots for
as much as $1,500 each and named the place Brownsville. By 1850 a population
of between 3,000 and 4,000 had concentrated there. Stillman later sold the
enormous ranch property north of Brownsville to his partner Kenedy. The
lands to the west of Brownsville were left to his son, James Stillman.qv As
a result of land transactions and rising violence, many of the Mexicans fled
south of the river and, led by Cortina, carried out a range war that
continued for twenty-six years. In 1851 Stillman helped bankroll the
attempted invasion of Mexico by José María Carbajalqv for the purpose of
setting up the Republic of the Sierra Madre, which was to extend from
Matamoros and Tampico inland to Monterrey, Saltillo, and Nuevo Laredo.

Between 1862 and 1865 Stillman, King, and Kenedy transported Confederate
cotton to Matamoros under contract for payment in gold. Stillman bought much
of the cotton and sent it to his textile complex at Monterrey, but he sold
even more of it in New York through his mercantile firm, Smith and Dunning.
The United States government was a major purchaser. On one sale at Manhattan
Stillman netted $18,851 on a gross of $21,504. His cotton buyers in Texas
included George W. Brackenridge,qv and one of his major suppliers was Thomas
William House.qv By the end of the war Stillman was one of the richest men
in America. He concentrated his investments in the National City Bank of New
York, which his son James later controlled, and supplied Brackenridge with
$200,000 in the 1870s in order to establish the San Antonio National Bank.
Stillman married Elizabeth Pamela Goodrich of Wethersfield, Connecticut, on
August 17, 1849. He built a notable home in Brownsville in 1850 and lived in
Brownsville and New York City until 1866, when he moved permanently to New
York. He died there in December 1875.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: LeRoy P. Graf, The Economic History of the Lower Rio Grande
Valley, 1820-1875 (Ph.D. dissertation, Harvard University, 1942). Tom Lea,
The King Ranch (2 vols., Boston: Little, Brown, 1957). Chauncey Devereux
Stillman, Charles Stillman (New York, 1956). Stillman Papers, Harvard and
Columbia University libraries. John K. Winkler, The First Billion: The