Subject: James Hewitt's "Love and War"
From: Steve Reed <A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">asreed@lasting
s.softnet.co.uk</A>
Date: Wed, 17 November 1999 10:36 AM EST

    "Love and War" by Captain James Hewitt.  Blake Publishing Co., 1999.

        This very readable account of Hewitt's years as Diana's lover,
of his experiences, as a tank-squadron leader in the thick of the Gulf
War, and of the remarkable events which followed his being "made
redundant" from the army, leaves the reader at a loss to understand
(until he reaches the later chapters) why Hewitt became the object of a
campaign of vilification and persecution, by elements of the media and
other agencies, which continues to this day.

        And even then, it is left up to the reader to consider the facts
and draw his own conclusions.  From the very beginning of his story, the
author exhibits the restraint and decorum which one would expect from
an, albeit young and amorous, officer of the Life Guards and the heir of
an old, county family.  He recalls, for example, that, five years before
he met Diana, in August 1981, when he was in Cyprus with the Guards
Division Parachute Display Team, and the Royal Yacht Brittannia, with
honeymoon-couple Charles and Diana on board, was lying at anchor off the
island, not far from the military-base, he sent a signal to the yacht,
inviting their Royal Highnesses to dinner at the regimental mess.  There
had been no reply.  Told of this later, Diana said that she "would have
loved to come, but Charles never mentioned any invitation".  Hewitt,
very charitably, opines, "I doubted if he had ever seen it:  probably
the signals officer on Brittannia just binned it - also I was secretly
relieved I didn't have to pay for the meal [...] it would have been
embarrassing to have my credit card thrown back at me."

        Later, with understandably less charity but no less restraint,
he describes how, after five years as Acting Major, and after having
been told that he would not have to sit a formal examination for
confirmation of this rank, he was asked, in the autumn of 1991, to sit
the standard, three, written papers, each of which he "failed by 1%" -
even the main paper, on battle-tactics, in which, tried and not found
wanting, in Operation Desert Storm (Hewitt was "mentioned in dispatches"
from the Gulf) he was an acknowledged expert.  Hewitt says:
        "But I knew my card had been marked quite some time previously;
I was not so naive as to think that the authorities didn't discuss my
situation with regard to the heir to the throne."

        This is not to say that Hewitt's liaison with Diana had been
frowned upon, per se, by "the authorities"; he writes:
        "I doubt if my friendship with Diana was just a happy accident -
perhaps I was set up, and Mannakee was removed, because it was
unacceptable for the Princess of Wales to be conducting an affair with a
Sergeant of the Royal Protection Squad."
        Regarding the manner in which Barry Mannakee "was removed",
Hewitt says, of his death, "It was as a passenger in a motorcycle
accident - not an easy murder to stage, although not an impossible one."
And he quotes Diana: "They killed him, I'm certain they killed him [...]
MI5, people in the Palace, somebody who wanted him out of the way."
        Hewitt goes on:
        "So somebody had to be found, not to become her lover, but a
male friend who would lift her spirits and help her confidence in the
absence of a caring husband."
        We could wonder how, in this instance, the term "lover", should
be defined.  Surely Hewitt does not believe that "the authorities" chose
him - a young buck, already well known for his sexual adventures -
rather than a much older man, or a woman, to play the role of a "friend"
who would not "become her lover"!
        I take this as another example of Hewitt's typically restrained
treatment; but he seems rather more convinced, that his affair with
Diana was planned by others, than is implied by "I doubt if my
friendship with Diana was just a happy accident"; for he also says,
        "She [Diana] later told me that the drinks-party at Hazel West's
house [where D+H met, socially, for the first time, in 1986] had been
held with the express intent of enabling her to meet me."
        " - Buckingham Palace is a place of long corridors and quiet
whispers [...] there was no straightforward chain of command [...]," but
"Hazel West would not have played the role that she did without the
tacit approval of those above her."
        "So the whole plan of providing a companion for the Princess
nearly worked perfectly [...] only one thing went wrong - we fell in
love."

        I was surprised to find no hint, in this book, of the allegation
which Hewitt made, for ITV's remarkable "Secrets Behind The Crash", that
he had been menaced, personally, "by someone close to the senior
Royals", with "dire consequences", if he did not "break off his
relationship with Diana".  Indeed, there is even a disclaimer:
        "At any time, our relationship could have been terminated by the
Palace, but no attempt was ever made to do this."
        At this point, it seems that decorous understatement has turned
into bending-over-backwards.

        And still one wonders how it came about that several British
newspapers filled - and still do fill - their front pages, on many
occasions, with abuse directed at Hewitt.  We may assume that what was
intended to be a frivolous affair, between him and Diana, turned into
something more serious, and that this caused alarm in certain quarters -
even, or especially, after Diana's death.  But what connection is there
between these "certain quarters" and that strident element of the press,
whose attitude to extra-marital affairs can hardly be one of sincere
moral indignation?

(continued)
--
Steve Reed