-Caveat Lector-

     My boss just recounted to me what he had learned watching a TV
"rockumentary" about Altamont featuring Hunter S. Thompson.

     We're all familiar with the media's depiction of the Stones concert at
Altamont, imprinting our mass-minds with its iconesque image of Hells Angels
savagely knifing an innocent concertgoer in view of the stage while "Sympathy
for the Devil" was played.
The image has been immortalized in Life magazine and the video of the
unprovoked murder has been repeated identically in all documentaries.
     "There goes the Sixties -- aborted by its own conceit, suicided by its
own excess,"
goes the party line refrain, always offering this photo-byte as evidence for
that claim.

     Well, surprise, surprise!  The portrait, as presented to the public eye,
was a LIE.

     In the TV documentary, according to what I'm told, it was revealed that
the photo and video which is a cornerstone of '60s "history" was only a
misleading EXCERPT from a FULLER sequence of events -- a sequence of events
which in fact had been recorded on film IN TOTO, but which was deliberately
EXCLUDED from visual reports of the incident by the Establishment media --
because the WHOLE story, thus revealed, would not have supported the media's
HIDDEN AGENDA, which was to forever "demonize" the "Woodstock generation" in
the collective mind.

     What had happened was this -- the "innocent victim" killed by the
Rolling Stones' bodyguards, the Hells Angels, had headed toward the
performers' stage with GUN DRAWN (caught on film) and, coming closer, had
FIRED SEVERAL SHOTS in the air
(also caught on film) -- and THEN, and only then, came the "attack" publicly
shown by the media -- out of context, minus every event preceding it which
might JUSTIFY it.

     Just goes to show you how ONE "frame" shown out of SEQUENCE can tell a
totally different story than what what we would realize from being allowed to
see the WHOLE sequence -- the factual record left INTACT, nothing DELETED,
nothing "SELECTED."

     But, of course, from such icon-esque "Life magazine"-style images
presented to the viewer comes the viewer's EMOTIONAL RESPONSE to it -- his or
her "judgment" of it, helping shape his or her "moral values."  The "artist"
always shapes his "art" according to the desired effect it will produce in
the observer -- and never forget, PROPAGANDA (or "mind control") is as much
an "art" as a "science, especially in our age of "media."

     Our collective mind has its "unconscious" too -- composed of all those
"unknown" perceptible FACTS which have been EXCLUDED by a behind-the-scenes
censorship of what might otherwise become a part of our consciousness, hence
of our conscience, and shape our view of history DIFFERENTLY, in a way closer
to the terrible TRUTH ...