-Caveat Lector-

 -------- forwarded message --------
 From:         "Joseph C. Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Date:         Mon, 6 Dec 1999
 Subject:      APPS: Anti Virus Programs

 Ben Pugsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

 > Other than the fact that Nortons provides free updates for
 > 1 year, and McAfee provides free updates for life are there
 > good reasons to choose McAfee, or is there yet a better
 > (or best) way to go?  Are all the players about equal on
 > detecting problems before they become a problem?

 The two programs are close enough to each other as to make no
 difference to the normal user.  One may get a new definition
 on the web a few hours earlier than the other.  Of course the
 servers are swamped and you cannot download without lots of
 restarts and failures.  One might be a little better than the
 other for a particular virus at a particular time.

 The lifetime updates is useless as after a few months and
 within a year, the av engine no longer can find many new
 viruses.

 Most important, each program can have severe bugs which will
 affect you that can use up most of your resources and cause
 frequent GPF's.  These affect only a few machines but those
 affected machines can have ongoing major problems.  If you have
 one of those machines, switch.  For example, I have been doing
 regular scans with norton and updating the definitions
 regularly.  However, when I tried to change which files to
 scan, the program announced that it had failed and needed to
 be reinstalled and cannot be started.  But a scheduled scan
 can used the failed components and appeared to scan.

 Neither program can detect viruses or mal-scripts that enter
 your machine through non-standard means.  Specifically help
 files, especially html help files can include scripts, dropped
 programs and reformatters etc that a compressed and cannot be
 read by a virus program.  Winhelp also has access to all api
 calls and is encrypted.  So the button that you push can do
 anything besides showing you the picture that is advertised.
 The html help can be downloaded from the web as a compiled
 (and encrypted to the av program) and run automatically with
 no intervention on the part of the user.  You do not have the
 ability to click yes/no as you do with a word file.  The
 program runs and runs the "on open" script.  The programs
 spread this way starts slower but can then propagate rapidly
 inside your firewall.

 ------
 Joseph C. Kennedy
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   If you have questions
about the list, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

.