-Caveat Lector-

There was a story written years ago which suggested that the reason for the
sudden proliferation of amoral, sociopathic behavior in this particular
near-future world was that too many humans had been born, with too few souls
available to inhabit those bodies... IIRC, the story also suggested that
there is an upper limit to the total amount of life on Earth, and that
therefore the more human beings are born, the more animal and plant species
must die out. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the title or author--I think
it was published in an Earth Day-related anthology in 1970, but I'm not
certain of that.