-Caveat Lector-

In Gandhian nonviolence, which is the form I hesitatingly try to follow,
this is NOT a valid distinction. Violence is violence, no matter what or who
the target is. We need to be working toward a society where even the thought
of violence simply doesn't enter into the picture. The present society is
built on a foundation of human bodies and souls, as surely as if they had
been buried beneath the walls of the United States Capitol. The Declaration
of Independence proclaims our inalienable right to Life, Liberty, and the
Pursuit of Happiness. Nowhere does it say that those rights include the
right to murder anyone who gets in your way; nowhere does it say that
trashing your opponent's means of livelihood is all right; in fact, it goes
on to accuse George III of doing just that against the people of the
American colonies. Revolutionary societies never come about because of
revolutionary wars. In every case, the real change has come about BEFORE the
war; revolutionary wars are fought to establish the legitimacy of
revolutions, not to create the revolutions themselves. And there are better,
more humane, more SANE ways of establishing the legitimacy of revolutionary
societies than by violence.