Forwarded from Robert who is out of posts for the day.

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"

I'm replying offlist because I've hit my limit for the day. I don't think
anybody's every really figured out just what all those heads were. All of
the possibilities you've listed have been seriously suggested. Judith Tarr's
version of the Gerbert story has a demon imprisoned in the head by a Moorish
sorceror to whom Gerbert is apprenticed and from whom he steals the head.
"Baphomet" seems to have been a badly scrambled rendering of an Arabic name;
what the original was and what its significance to the Templars, if any, was
are anybody's guess. It's entirely possible that the Inquisitors made the
name up out of whole cloth. Bacon's head may indeed have been a mechanical
device of some kind--he was the kind of man who could have experimented
along those lines--but was more likely a "magical calculator" for divining,
like the "Lull Engine" of Ramon Lull. If you want a *really* scholarly take
on all of this, hunt up Thorndike's *History of Magic and Experimental
Science*; it's old but still extremely valuable.