-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991213c - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* Nobody was hurt to produce this bulletin. I'm sticking with that story.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ 3D view of the Great Prismosaurus: http://focus.aps.org/v4/st28f1.gif
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Y is it so? And will sex for fun survive? THE Y chromosome is shrinking,
  men are slowly becoming extinct & it may not be long before an embryo is
  developed from the nucleus of cells from 2 females. Fast-forward to 2099,
  and we may be talking genetically enhanced IVF babies, sex between arti-
  ficial minds, "love" pills and sexual surrogates to help marriages sur-
  vive. So? http://news.com.au/news_content/national_content/4158801.htm

: Do you long for new sexual/reproductive technologies? D'ya wish you could
say, "My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife" ?? D'ya wanna have
sex with natural/artificial minds, cyborg snails, inflated Reptoids, me??

# MICROCHIPS REDUX. Convict Chip Idea Stirs Ire Lawyer - Gov. Eyes Inmate
  Implants. For your own good: http://home.nas.net/~raven1/nmimplan.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Seattle protesters shun consumption. EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - On a quiet street
  in Eugene's oldest & funkiest neighborhood, a mural on the side of an art
  gallery expresses the idyllic world vision of many of the anarchists who
  took part in the Seattle WTO protests. Unlike there, the mural reflects a
  longing for a world where people live in small villages and grow their own
  food without global corporations running their lives, where the sun rises
  on a village of small huts and terraced gardens while sunset falls on an
  abandoned sawmill and a hillside covered with stumps. Easter bunnies too -
  see http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562580753-c92

: Would you like to live in a small village [where everyone knows EVERYTHING
about you] and grow your own food without machines [which takes about 20 hrs
per day] and die when you're 35, like in the Good Old Days? How many people
would you like to starve, to achieve your vision? Should we shoot you first?

# WTO protesters vow to keep fighting - trade hydra continues growth:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562574909-bdc
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ The real Alien Threat and their programmed infection of the Human Race.
  <http://www.users.idzero.co.uk/~col19/etthreat.htm> I apologize for the
  complexity of this terrible plot which I am sharing, but that should be
  understandable, in light of the fact that it was created by a very
  advanced artificial intelligence with thousands of years of development
  behind it. I promise with my life that all that I share with you is "The
  Truth". Sincere regards to all, Rick Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

: Is this my "other side" communicating to you? Am I a(n) (un)witting dupe?
Are you programmed, infected, human, threatened? How can we save ourselves?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# The Day the Solar Wind Disappeared. (NASA) For two days in May, 1999,
  the solar wind that blows constantly from the Sun virtually disappeared --
  the most drastic and longest-lasting decrease ever observed. Ultimate
  cataclysm: http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast13dec99_1.htm

: If the Sun stops radiating/blowing, are we in deep doo-doo? Do all other
environmental problems pale in comparison? Are ETs sending us a messge? Eh?

# Volcano erupts near Ecuador capital - Quito is doomed - run, run!!
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562540214-508
# Chernobyl plant malfunctions, reduces output, rumbles ominously:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562558761-038
# French oil tanker breaks in half - millions of gallons spilled:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562582890-6a4

# Planet Warming to the Internet.  Not only is the Web way cool, baby, but
  it's going to save the world, too. That's one environmentalist's forecast:
  living the online life helps cut energy use and reduce global warming.
  http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,33034,00.html?tw=wn19991213

: Have you saved the world lately? Is virtual life less polluting than being
out there in the real world? Is the real world vastly overrated? Why not??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Italians protest execution. ROME (AP) - An ancient killing ground became a
  symbol of mercy as Rome's Colosseum was bathed in golden light as part of
  a Y2K light-show campaign against the death penalty.  The campaign at the
  site where gladiators and exotic beasts once fought to the death has drawn
  a swarm of sponsors. Pope JP II gave the project his blessing, renewing
  his long-standing appeal for an end to capital punishment. He favors mind-
  wipes: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562577573-d77

: Would'ya rather be killed by religious or secular militants, plain-vanilla
psycho/sociopaths, corporate greed, microbes, your own stupidity, ETs, me??

# Islamic militants killed 15 people this weekend at a roadblock in Algeria.
  See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562579943-6af
# Turkey police crush Islamic rally - protest a ban on Islamic religious
  garb: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562583997-485
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Millennium's End for Clinton. (Wired) Pres. Clinton joins the end-of-the-
  millennium debate with a straddle-the-fence approach. Like that's new:
  http://www.wired.com/news/reuters/0,1349,33039,00.html?tw=wn19991213

: Are you rilly rilly tired of the Millennium yet? Do you cringe at the
thought of another whole year of madness until the next millennium starts
in 2001? Will you go insane first? Will your burst into flames? Will I?

# Y2K - White House report used to stem Y2K fears:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562574250-eee
# Y2K - Trinidad prepared for Y2K woes, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562553329-fe3
# Y2K - A look at 8 nations' Y2K readiness, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562556540-655
# Y2K stockpiling leads to blast - too much propane:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562559883-687

# Y2K - PRES. WARNS OF HOLIDAY FOOD DANGERS - millennium bugs infect eggs:
  http://www.cnn.com/1999/ALLPOLITICS/stories/12/11/clinton.radio/
# Y2K - Insurance companies targeted for Y2K suits:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562575813-522
# Y2K - Companies endorse Y2K dispute resolution, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562546659-9a1

  "The man who has no complaint with the world around him is
   most likely dead." -- http://www.SleazyTabloid.com

* Rev. Ric Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.da.ru * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* THE OFFICIAL MAILING LIST OF THE *SEVENTY*SEVENTH* MILLENNIUM!!