-Caveat Lector-

     In the past, if a book contained "libelous" inaccuracies, the publisher
deleted the offending section and re-issued the book in a second edition
without those sections.
An example that comes to mind is Ed Sanders' "The Family," whose first
printing contained a chapter that credited The Process Church of the Final
Destruction as influencing Charles Manson's worldview and by implicastion
sullied the reputation of the legally-powerful Church of Scientology.  The
second edition, and all later printings, do not include that "libellous"
chapter (which nevertheless I still have in my possession, xeroxed from a
first edition found in a used bookstore).  That's the way it USED to go.

     NOWADAYS, however, the ENTIRE book is trashed and public access is
denied.
(In the UK, government agents searched for even USED copies of "Alternative
Three" in second-hand bookstores and went so far as to raid the homes of
persons known to possess a copy.  I knew one writer in Scotland who had a
friend who collected copies after it was "withdrawn."  An armed ATF-style
team kicked in the door of his garage,
seized stacks of the book, and departed, without arresting him or even
apologizing ..)

Rather than doing as before, publishers meekly kowtow to the threats of
lawyers in the pocket of the political Powers That Be.  Yet the process of
re-typesetting and reprinting a book is easier and less costly than it used
to be -- But pulping an entire first run of a "controversial" book without
re-issuing it --even at the cost of LOSING PROFITS (!)-- is  so much more
HELPFUL to the agenda of our Orwellian wannabee "information czars" ..