-Caveat Lector-

Remember that the U.S. Forest Service and the entire system of National
Forests were created by Teddy Roosevelt's Secretary of the Interior, Gifford
Pinchot, specifically to provide a reserve of wood *for the logging
industry* and secondarily for recreational hunting and fishing. The National
Forests were never intended to be preserved as wilderness. They were being
*conserved* as a national resource, in traditional Republican fashion. Thus
Pinchot, from the beginning, was at odds with the John Muir/Sierra Club
dedication to preserving wilderness for its own sake...

        <snip>