http://www.dailypress.com/news/stories/33784sy0.htm

Tuesday, Dec. 21, 1999

           Ex-DEA agent spared prison time
           Judge suspends sentence citing
           'punishment' done

           By William H. McMichael
           Daily Press

           HAMPTON - Former federal drug agent
           Joseph Armento will not go to prison for
           his role in a drunken January showdown
           outside a Hampton bar that left two fellow
           patrons wounded.

           Following Armento's emotional turn on the
           witness stand Monday morning, Circuit
           Judge Christopher W. Hutton sentenced
           him to five years in state prison and just
           as quickly suspended all of it for 10
           years, contingent on good behavior.
           Armento also will serve a
           to-be-determined period of supervised
           probation.

           "I do not feel in this case that
           incarceration would serve any purpose
           other than retribution," said Hutton, noting
           the "punishment that Mr. Armento has
           already visited upon himself."

           Armento was convicted Oct. 28 on one
           count of unlawful shooting into an
           occupied vehicle, a Class 6 felony. At the
           trial, Hutton dismissed the more serious
           charges of malicious wounding and use
           of a firearm during a felony, ruling that
           Armento acted without malice.

           In November, Armento was forced to
           resign from the Drug Enforcement
           Administration, according to a DEA
           spokesman. Suspended without pay for
           the better part of the year, he had to rely
           on unemployment benefits to help
           support his wife and three children, he
           testified.

           "It's been a nightmare," he sobbed during
           pre-sentence questioning by his attorney,
           John R. Fletcher. He said he felt
           embarrassment and shame over the
           incident.

           "I can't believe the pain I caused,"
           Armento said, barely able to speak.
           "There's not an hour in a day that I don't
           think about it." He said he'd accepted
           responsibility for the crime.

           "Obviously, very pleased with the
           sentence," Fletcher said afterward. "I
           think it was the right thing to do."

           Armento has since landed a job in
           accounting, his profession prior to joining
           the agency.

           The shootings took place just after
           midnight on Jan. 14 outside Rooney's
           Grille & Bar, where Armento and five
           other off-duty DEA agents -- in Hampton
           to assist local police -- had spent the
           evening drinking. Outside the bar,
           according to testimony, a shouting match
           erupted between several agents and
           three Hampton men. One of the three,
           Joseph Turk, produced a handgun and
           exclaimed, "You want some of this?"

           After listening to five different versions of
           what took place, Hutton found that
           Armento drew his DEA-issued 9mm
           handgun and fired a total of 14 shots.
           Turk was hit in the right arm while Jason
           Temple, backing his pickup truck away
           from the scene, was struck in the chest.
           The other man ran away.

           The original charges centered on the
           shooting of Temple; prosecutors felt the
           other shooting was justified because Turk
           drew his gun first.

           Afterward, Armento, his wife Sandy
           standing by his side outside the
           courthouse, said he was unhappy with
           news media coverage of his trial and felt
           that "this community has treated me
           unfairly from the beginning."

           Asked to elaborate, Armento criticized
           "the proceedings" but not Hutton, who
           convicted Armento Oct. 28. "He did what
           he had to do," Armento said.

           At the same time, Armento said, "I was
           trying to save my life that night. Turk,
           obviously through his own admission, had
           a gun. What was I supposed to think?
           That he was not going to use it? I reacted
           in the way I was trained."

           Armento's supervisor at the time, DEA
           Group Supervisor Frank Franco, called
           Armento a "developing crime investigator"
           who was honest and trustworthy and
           "pretty much a family man." He'd never
           seen him drunk, aggressive or
           belligerent, he said.

           Despite that endorsement, Armento said
           that the DEA "abandoned me from the
           beginning. And I thought, through the
           evidence, it was quite obvious what
           happened." He also said, "some of the
           other agents that were involved, I think,
           are obviously hiding something. And you
           can draw your own conclusions from
           that."

           All but one of those other agents testified
           during Armento's trial. The sixth agent,
           Theodore Hindes, had disappeared.
           Hindes, whom the defense alleged might
           have fired some of the shots during the
           gunfight, fled from the scene of the
           shooting and was later forced to resign
           from the agency. He left no forwarding
           address and refused to provide it when
           contacted by Hampton police.

           Prosecutors complained that the DEA
           didn't cooperate in helping locate Hindes,
           a potential witness, and Hutton said he
           was "most unhappy" about it. During the
           trial, the DEA acknowledged that concern
           and promised to conduct a review of its
           own conduct. Hampton Commonwealth's
           Attorney Linda Curtis said Monday that
           she met Nov. 9 with DEA Inspector
           Charles Gardner, who told her he was
           preparing a report on the matter for
           higher-ups.

           Despite his frustration over the case,
           Armento said, "I'm grateful that I can go
           home."

           And, he added, "I'm happy it's over, and I
           apologize to the city of Hampton for any
           problems I caused.

           "I shouldn't have been out there that
           night," he said.

           Armento's problems may not be over,
           however. Attorney Stephen C. Swain,
           who represents Temple, said Monday
           that a civil suit seeking damages will be
           filed within two weeks against "the
           government and/or Armento."

           And Turk attorney Stephen F. Forbes
           said Monday that a civil suit against
           Armento and the DEA would likely be filed
           early next year.

           "And we're contemplating naming
           additional parties as well," Forbes said.

           William H. McMichael can be reached at
           247-7862 or by e-mail at
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Copyright © 1999 The Daily Press

--
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is