http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp

Potential U.S. targets identified

Intelligence points to Y2K bashes in New York, Seattle and D.C.

<Picture: Photo: Airport police and sniffer dog>Sgt. Larry
Lowery, left, and Lt. William Parker, both of the Metropolitan
Washington, D.C, Airport Authority Police, inspect luggage
Wednesday with their dog, Roy, at Ronald Reagan Washington
National Airport.

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

WASHINGTON, Dec. 22 — Government officials, from President Bill
Clinton on down, said Wednesday they were taking all possible
precautions to prevent terrorist attacks and insisted they do not
know of any specific, credible threats against targets in the
United States. But, privately, authorities told NBC News they are
taking seriously new but unconfirmed intelligence reports that
international terrorists may be plotting to attack millennium
celebrations in at least three U.S. cities: New York, Washington
and Seattle.

  <Picture>A new warning issued by the State Depatment covers not
just for the New Year’s period but the next month, NBC’s Andrea
Mitchell reports.

       AUTHORITIES, SPEAKING on condition of anonymity, told NBC
News that informants and intelligence reports indicate that Ahmed
Ressam, who was indicted Wednesday in Seattle on explosives and
other charges, is linked to other suspected terrorists operating
out of Montreal who may be plotting to attack as many as six or
more sites in the United States.

       Among the possible targets specifically mentioned by the
sources:

The New Year’s Eve celebration at Times Square in New York City;
The planned celebration at the Washington Mall in the nation’s
capitol; A fireworks show and street party at the Space Needle in
Seattle.

The sources cautioned that the information on possible targets is
sketchy and may not be reliable.

‘EXTRAORDINARY EFFORTS’

       Word of the possible targets came hours after Clinton
assured Americans that the U.S. government is “taking
extraordinary efforts” to prevent terrorist attacks, from
tightening security at airports to investigating whether recent
threats are connected to Osama bin Laden, the fugitive Saudi
financier accused of funding and training terrorism groups around
the globe.

       “We’re taking extraordinary efforts in the government to
act based on the incident out in the Pacific Northwest,” Clinton
said, referring to the arrest last week of Ressam.

       Deputy Attorney Eric Holder said the government doesn’t
have any specific information of particular sites being targeted
in the United States, but asked Americans to be on the lookout
for anything suspicious, such as unguarded packages, especially
at millennium and holiday celebrations.

       “We’re doing everything in our power to prevent any
attacks from occurring and to bring to justice those people
responsible for planning any such attacks,” Holder said.

CALLS TO ACTION BY BIN LADEN

       FBI counter-terrorism chief Dale Watson said U.S.
authorities are aware that bin Laden had issued Islamic calls to
action, known as fatwas, against the United States.

         Millennial fears

•Latest on alleged bomb plot
•Latest on security fears
•Canada's porous border
•Parties go on in Jordan
•Algerians blast stereotyping
•Threat From Within:
MSNBC on domestic terror
•Y2K primer: Is world ready?

       “We are aware of the fact that Osama bin Laden has issued
fatwas. We are working very hard with our intelligence partners
to investigate any threat ... that targets Americans,” Watson
said.

       Tighter security remained in effect at U.S. and Canadian
border crossings and airports, but many travelers said the
measures did not cause undue delays.

       At some border crossing between British Columbia and
Washington state, it was business at usual, with average waits of
20 minutes to cross, which inspectors said was typical for a
weekday.

SOME CROSSINGS UNAFFECTED

       “I was really sort of surprised,” said Fred Driver of
Vancouver, who crosses into the United States once a week to buy
groceries and run errands. “They asked me a couple more questions
than usual, but that was it. I thought they’d have dogs sniffing
my trunk or do some kind of inspection on my car, but after a
couple questions they just waved me through.”

       But Canadian television network CBC reported that truck
drivers in some spots already were feeling the impact of the new
measures.

       It showed footage of long delays at the Lacolle border
crossing in Quebec, where it said trucks were lined up for four
miles early in the day.

       Terrorism suspects arrested in Jordan have been linked to
bin Laden’s network, but U.S. authorities have not yet made such
a connection to Ressam, a senior Clinton administration official
said told the Associated Press on Wednesday. <Picture> Wanted:
Osama bin Laden<Picture>MSNBC Interactive•Click here for a look
at some of Osama bin Laden's activities around the world

       The bin Laden group is very loose-knit, and the ongoing
investigation of Ressam has not yet found a definitive
connection, said the official, who spoke to The Associated Press
only on condition of anonymity.

       Even so, U.S. intelligence officials believe Ressam has
ties to people who are involved with bin Laden, an intelligence
official said. This official, who also spoke with the AP on
condition of anonymity, would not further describe this indirect
link.

       A manhunt is still under way for up to three people
suspected of ties to Ressam, who was arrested Dec. 14 after
arriving on a boat from Canada at Port Angeles, Wash.

U.S. CITIZEN SOUGHT

       On Tuesday, U.S. officials told NBC News that U.S.,
Jordanian and Pakistani investigators are searching for a
31-year-old U.S. citizen suspected of links to a terror plot in
Jordan and to the world’s most wanted terrorist, Osama bin Laden.
The officials did not identify the suspect, but said the
individual is a California resident who lived near Boston in
1997.

<Picture> Terrorist hunters A look at the elite groups around the
world called upon to counter terrorism: Source: The Terrorism
Research Center

       “All of our intelligence agencies are cooperating
worldwide with their counterparts, and so there is a sharing of
intelligence to make sure that we have the latest possible
information to make sure that we can deter and detect and
discourage any attempts on American lives anywhere in the world,”
Defense Secretary William Cohen said Wednesday.

       U.S. officials were trying to keep Americans informed of
threats without causing panic.

       “I would ask them to just be aware of their circumstances
and if they see anything suspicious to report it immediately,”
Clinton said, while visiting a soup kitchen on Wednesday.

AMERICANS HEED PLEAS

       Americans were heeding pleas to be on the lookout.

       In the Bahamas, a U.S. citizen who was acting suspiciously
and found to be carrying wires, magnet coils and other items, was
detained by U.S. Customs in Freeport while attempting to board a
plane for Miami, deputy State Department spokesman James B. Foley
said.

       The suspect was taken to Nassau for questioning by local
and FBI officials, Foley said. A thorough search turned up
nothing suspicious, he said.

       And in Washington, D.C., police and federal authorities
searched for a blue van with Texas license plates that a citizen
reported was acting suspiciously, Watson said.

       The U.S. government sent a new warning Tuesday night to
Americans across the world that it believes terrorists may target
them from now through mid-January, especially at holiday
gatherings and millennial celebrations.

       The Commerce Department on Wednesday posted signs on its
door stating there was heightened security at its buildings in
downtown Washington. A metal detector was set up at one if its
doors where reporters and staff normally enter.

       The stepped-up warning Tuesday night from the State
Department, the second in 11 days, said the arrest of 13 suspects
in Jordan may have forestalled attacks on hotels, tour buses and
tourist sites in the Arab kingdom.

‘ATTACKS STILL MAY BE PLANNED’

       “We cannot rule out the possibility that attacks still may
be planned for this and other parts of the world,” the department
said.<Picture: ENCARTA: Behind the news: Visit Encarta for more
background>

       A U.S. official told NBC News that Tuesday’s “refinement”
of a Dec. 11warning was to reflect the fact that tourist sites in
particular were being targeted and was based on information from
those arrested in Jordan.

       In a sign of increased domestic security, the Federal
Aviation Administration said Tuesday that it would expand the use
of devices that check airline passengers for trace amounts of
explosives. More bomb-sniffing dogs and uniformed police will be
patrolling airports, both inside and out, the agency said. Canada
followed suit at its airports, also vowing to increase checks of
passengers and baggage.

       Also, the U.S. Customs Service is putting 300 extra
inspectors at high-priority entry points, including 150 along the
U.S.-Canadian border. To increase security, incoming vehicles and
individuals are being subjected to extra scrutiny and increased
random searches, creating long lines at many crossings.

MSNBC’s Barry Kliff, NBC’s David Bloom and The Associated Press
and Reuters contributed to this report.

Y2K: What might happen, what you can do
Communications: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
Food: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
International: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
Transportation: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
Finances: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
Government: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
Security: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp
Utilities: http://www.msnbc.com/news/349437.asp

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.