-Caveat Lector-

In the course of researching <AIDS INC.> Jon Rappoport interviewed Dr.
Joseph Sonnabend. Here Dr. Sonnabend discusses the social forces behind
the acceptance of the HIV theory.

"Dr. Joseph Sonnabend spent ten years working at the British National
Institute for Medical Research (their equivalent of our NIH). He is a
member of the British Royal College of Physicians, has been Associate
Professor of Medicine at the Mount Sinai Medical School in New York City.
Since 1978, he has been treating patients in New York for sexually
transmitted diseases and AIDS. For several years in the mid-1980s, he was
the editor of the journal, <AIDS Research>.

That journal, now exclusively concentrating on HIV, was once the only true
independent voice in AIDS research. Sonnabend was released from his
position by the publisher when it became apparent that his approach to
AIDS was in serious conflict with the more widely accepted HIV-view.

I spoke with him on March 25th, 1988.

Q: Where did the HIV hypothesis come from?

A: Several places. One involved a very sloppy analysis by the CDC of the
first Los Angeles patients.

Q: From proposing that AIDS comes from a number of sources acting in
concert, to proposing that AIDS is not a single disease-entity at all,
seems a short step.

A: That's right.

Q: So if a patient comes in with pneumocystis, you could try to learn what
produced the immuno-suppression that led to that pneumocystis -- and once
you learned that, there would be no reason to use the word AIDS. There
would be no reason to go further and say there is something <else> that
patient has called AIDS.