-Caveat Lector-

" . . . you cannot wait for anyone else before you get involved. In 1988,
President Ronald Reagan clearly demonstrated this when he declared October
to be National AIDS Awareness and Prevention Month. As has been typical of
our government's criminal neglect of this issue, the proclamation to
increase 'awareness of the dread disease was signed by President Reagan on
Oct. 28 and not made public until the month had ended.' Especially if you
are gay, now more than ever, you must stand up for what is right, because
nobody else is going to do it for you."

"We repeat history because we refuse to remember it. Yet, how the
community affected the most by this plague, gay community, my community,
can be, in general, so ignorant about the syphilis/AIDS connection is
beyond me. Legally, we are, as we have been for centuries, second-class
citizens in the United States. Yet, we make up the majority of those dead
and dying from AIDS, and we have willfully demanded and participated in
experimentation based upon viral theories of AIDS without questioning the
motives and morals of those we have entrusted to conduct these
experiments. How can we passively place our future in the hands of a
government which . . . has done little other than express its contempt and
hate for us?

 . . . the federal government . . . constantly abuses gay men and lesbians
. . . How is it that we in the gay community have so unquestionably
trusted our government's claims about AIDS and HIV, when this government
has and continues to express little but ill will towards us . . . over one
thousand people die daily from complications related to cigarette smoking,
but our government still subsidizes U. S. farmers with price supports to
grow tobacco when thousands are homeless and starving on our city streets.
How can the gay community believe that this government's motives, which
guide national research into AIDS, are for the benefit of a second-class
minority the government despises? To trust your health to those who would
be your enemy is surely a fatal mistake."

                       -- <Syphilis As AIDS> by Robert Ben
                             Mitchell, Banned Books, Austin,
                            1990, ISBN 0934411-35-2,  pp 91,
                            95-96