-Caveat Lector-

http://www.kentuckyconnect.com/heraldleader/news/010900/statedocs/09attorney.htm

                Published Sunday, January 9, 2000, in the
                Herald-Leader

                Wayne residents eye lawyer's jail release

                Despite DUI charge, he
                stayed only minutes

                By Ty Tagami
                South-Central Kentucky Bureau

                MONTICELLO Wayne County justice
                officials disregarded their usual procedures
                to let a local lawyer charged with drunken
                driving out of jail 35 minutes after he was
                brought there early on a Saturday morning.

                Most people in such situations in rural
                Kentucky can look forward to a night, or
                even a weekend, in jail. But the speedy
                release of lawyer Gregory George Bertram
                has led some to question whether he
                received special treatment, and has raised
                ethical concerns about a local prosecutor's
                involvement in his release.

                Bertram, 40, former attorney for the city of
                Monticello, was taken to jail at 1:55 a.m. on
                Nov. 27. He called his friend Tom Simmons,
                assistant commonwealth's attorney for
                Wayne County, who called a judge and
                secured the lawyer's release without bail.
                Bertram was out by 2:30 a.m.

                Word of the incident spread quickly. Some
                say it shows there are two kinds of justice
                for two kinds of people: those with
                connections and those without.

                ``If it was me, I'd have to spend the night''
                in jail, said Carl Hill, who lives on Ky. 200
                near the site of Bertram's arrest. Hill was
                getting ready for bed when he heard the
                sirens and saw the flashing blue lights of a
                deputy. He witnessed most of the arrest.

                Hill said his neighbors chewed on the
                incident in the days after. ``They said, `Well
                Lord, they ain't going to do nothing to him.'
                ''

                District Judge Robert L. Wilson, who let
                Bertram out of jail that morning, said there
                was nothing unusual about the
                circumstances, even though court officials
                say the release strayed from standard
                procedure.

                ``George Bertram did not get any special
                privileges,'' Wilson said.

                Wilson said Simmons' authority as a
                prosecutor had no bearing on his decision
                to release Bertram, whom Wilson said had
                an unsupervised child at home that
                morning.

                Simmons ``didn't call me in the capacity of
                a commonwealth's attorney, he called me in
                the capacity of a responsible person that
                was going to get George home to his child
                who was there without anybody,'' Wilson
                said. ``I think I was duty-bound to let the
                man go.''

                Wilson, who took office last year, has faced
                his own alcohol-related charges; he's been
                arrested five times since 1986 on charges of
                driving drunk, the last in 1995. The arrests
                led to three convictions, although the third
                the 1995 case was overturned on appeal by
                a circuit judge whom Wilson has described
                as a friend.

                Simmons also said that his role as a
                prosecutor in the office of Commonwealth's
                Attorney Robert Bertram, a distant cousin
                of the arrested man, had nothing to do with
                the unusually speedy release. There is no
                conflict of interest, he said, since he
                prosecutes felonies in Circuit Court and
                Bertram's case involves only misdemeanors
                and is in District Court.

                He admitted, however, that he began to feel
                some doubt about his role in Gregory
                George Bertram's release a few days
                afterward.

                ``I probably should have had him call
                somebody else, but I just honestly didn't
                think about it,'' Simmons said, adding that
                he was awakened out of a deep sleep by
                Bertram's call and was in a fog. ``I was just
                trying to help a friend out and get him
                home.''

                Donna Osborn, who runs a Kentucky
                court-monitoring project for Mothers
                Against Drunk Driving, thinks Simmons
                crossed an ethical line. ``Prosecutors are
                supposed to be working for the state and
                the community and not for the defendants. I
                don't care whether he's prosecuting it or
                not, it's a conflict,'' she said.

                Normal procedures

                Ordinarily, when people are charged with
                drunken driving after midnight in Wayne
                County, they have to sleep it off in the jail
                until morning when the pretrial release
                officer comes on duty. That's also the norm
                across rural Kentucky, said Osborn.

                The pretrial release officer, an employee of
                the Kentucky Administrative Office of the
                Courts, interviews defendants and awards
                points according to a form that assesses
                flight risk, the likelihood a detainee will
                flee. The officer then confers with a judge to
                set bail.

                ``That's the way it's supposed to happen,''
                said Laura Stammel, the assistant director
                of the AOC. ``The point of the form, the
                point of the whole pretrial services thing, is
                for the release decision to be based on some
                uniform information.''

                She noted that there is no rule to stop a
                judge from going around the process. She
                said that would be unusual, however.

                Bertram was arrested at 11:50 p.m. on a
                Friday, a few miles north of the Tennessee
                line. He was being pursued by a Tennessee
                sheriff when he passed the Kentucky officer
                who later arrested him, court records say.

                According to the arrest citation, former
                Wayne County Sheriff's Deputy Joseph
                Allen Weston he left the department two
                weeks ago spotted Bertram's black Lexus at
                11:22 p.m. It took Weston and another
                Wayne County deputy 28 minutes to
                complete the arrest, according to the
                citation.

                Weston wrote that Bertram smelled of
                alcohol and cursed and screamed at and
                threatened him and Deputy Terry Davis.
                The citation said Bertram had taken Tylox,
                a prescription painkiller that can cause
                drowsiness and dulled reaction time when
                mixed with alcohol.

                Weston charged Bertram with two counts of
                terroristic threatening, one of disorderly
                conduct and one of driving under the
                influence, all misdemeanors.

                Bertram pleaded not guilty, according to a
                judge's order entered on Dec. 13. Otherwise,
                the case has been in limbo because the
                county attorney who was prosecuting the
                case stepped aside, citing his familiarity
                with Bertram. Wilson ordered all evidence
                sealed in the Dec. 13 order, including the
                results of a blood-alcohol test.

                Bertram said in an interview that a
                preliminary breath test administered by the
                deputies indicated he had a blood-alcohol
                level of 0.103 percent.

                A driver in Kentucky is presumed drunk at
                0.10. However, a preliminary breath test is
                merely for determining probable cause for
                an arrest and is not admissible in court, and
                Bertram said in a recent interview that he
                wasn't drunk.

                ``I quit drinking before I left this drinking
                establishment well before I left for the
                express purpose I knew I had to drive
                home,'' he said. Bertram said the Tylox was
                a prescription for a back injury.

                Trial pending

                Normally, someone charged with the four
                crimes attributed to Bertram would have
                bail set at around $1,000, said Wayne
                County Jailer Jerry Guinn.

                Someone, usually a friend or relative,
                would have to come up with 10 percent of
                that amount in cash and sign on the surety
                line of the bail bond release form.

                The signature obligates the signatory to pay
                the entire amount should the defendant
                flee. Attorneys in Kentucky are barred by
                rules of criminal procedure from being
                ``taken as surety on any bail bond.''

                In Bertram's case, Wilson set the bond at
                zero. Simmons went to the jail and signed
                on the surety line. But Simmons said it was
                not a violation since no money was
                involved.

                Even so, a leading Kentucky prosecutor
                said attorneys, and especially fellow
                prosecutors, probably shouldn't do such
                things.

                Phillip Patton, the commonwealth's
                attorney in Barren County and the president
                of the Commonwealth's Attorneys
                Association, wasn't commenting directly on
                Simmons' case. He wasn't told any names,
                but he was told how a prosecutor had
                signed the bail bond form.

                ``It has always been my understanding that
                attorneys cannot sign bonds. I have always
                known that,'' Patton said. Although money
                wasn't involved, ``it probably still wasn't
                the best thing to do given this rule and
                given his role of being a prosecutor,'' he
                said.

                Simmons said what he'd done was no big
                deal since Bertram must still stand trial.

                ``I understand that people think that, you
                know, he should have spent time in jail and
                everything. But it's bail,'' Simmons said.
                ``It's not like he's gotten out of anything.''

                Reach Ty Tagami at (606) 678-4655 or
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is