-Caveat Lector-

Source: http://onenews.co.nz/Politics/1999/12/28/00014302.htm

One News, New Zealand, December 28, 1999

CALLS FOR INQUIRY INTO SPY BASES
There are calls for an inquiry after an official admission about New
Zealand's secret spy bases.

In a report to the new government, the security intelligence service has
confirmed foreign countries are using the bases.

The Green party claims that is an extraordinary admission and is now
demanding an investigation.

The Greens have long claimed the spy bases - Tangimoana in the North Island
and Waihopai in the South Island - are part of a non-military global spying
network capable of recording all phone calls, faxes and e-mails. Electronic
communications are then flagged by keyword if deemed offensive.

The Greens' Keith Locke says: "What we're finding is that foreign
intelligence agencies are being allowed direct access to intercept material
from the Waihopai spy base."

In its annual report to the government the SIS confirms both Waihopai and
Tangimoana are used by foreign agencies.

The SIS says our "facilities are useful to and are accessible by the
intelligence of New Zealand's intelligence partners."

That's mainly the US, but the Greens claim that Britain, Canada and Australia
are all involved.

"It's an agency of the five Anglo countries spying on the rest of the world,
including Japan, Europe and the Pacific nations. We don't think we should be
aligned to just four countries," says Locke.

The Greens want Waihopai closed down and a select committee inquiry into
these latest admissions.

Labour cabinet minister Pete Hodgson says: " They are absolutely entitled to
go to a select committee and seek to convince them that an inquiry is
warranted and if they succeed it will proceed.

Earlier this year Jenny Shipley sought assurances from the SIS about the use
of our spy bases.

She asked whether they were being used for the needs of our government ahead
of foreign countries.

The SIS would only say the intelligence material is at all times controlled
by New Zealand.

The Greens claim labour, like National before them, has hidden what really
goes on at Waihopai and Tangimoana.

Come the New Year, the Greens are demanding a meeting with Helen Clark to
sort it out.