</A> -Cui Bono?-

from:
http://www.prouty.org/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.prouty.org/">The Col. L. Fletcher Prouty
Reference Site</A>
-----
Understanding The Secret Team
Part III

Allen Dulles: Forging a Government of Reaction

Ratcliffe: I'd like to get into a more general subject here that is certainly
central to discussing the rise and growth of Central Intelligence Agency and
the Secret Team, in the person of Allen Dulles. You write at one point that
Allen Dulles, "was a counterpuncher and a missionary. He was a meddler. He
thought that he had the right and the duty to bring his pet schemes into the
minds and homes of others, whether they were wanted or not."[1] I'd like you
to discuss in general terms the mind of this man Allen Dulles. Why do you
think he felt he had the right to do all these things and how do you think he
justified this in his own mind?

Prouty: As a young man (just graduated from Princeton, I believe), he went to
Paris with the Wilson peace conference group right after World War I. That is
a pretty rich way for a young college graduate to begin his work in
international affairs. And I'm sure that the experience had much to do with
the rest of his life. John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles were both senior
directors of the biggest law firm in New York City at the time, Sullivan &
Cromwell. Their earlier work of course made them very valuable to that
international law firm, and also brought them into the law firm's business
throughout the world. The way in which they handled business on the
international scale was very much shaped by their experience with Sullivan &
Cromwell.

The Sullivan & Cromwell offices had the major U.S. legal contacts in Germany
during Hitler's period. We couldn't say they were essentially pro-Nazi, but
they didn't close their offices in Germany until well after the start of
World War II. The fact that they were still there during the war became quite
an embarrassment to the U.S. government. To think that here we were, very
anti-Hitler, anti-Axis, and yet this major U.S. law firm was still operating
there. This law firm was in a sense dominated by these Dulles brothers, whose
idea of international affairs and international business was shaped by the
law firm's clientele and by their own global activities.

At the same time, John Foster Dulles was either a founder of the World
Council of Churches or one of its major guiding spirits. Whenever he was not
in the government or otherwise assigned to some mission, he traveled all over
the world as a principal spokesman for the World Council of Churches. Now I
make no brief for the Dulles Brothers view of the churches or of their
religion. I think it was Episcopalian really, but I'm not sure. But this was
the platform upon which the Dulles brothers spoke many, many times around the
world. And in that sense they turned their political views, their financial
views, their diplomatic views into an essentially missionary spirit. They
felt that wherever they went they were bringing the word of the United States
-- the word of capitalism, free trade and what have you, around the world
with them.

This was very true in the period right after World War II, and may have had
something to do with Truman's selection of Allen Dulles to study the
intelligence agency with Jackson and Correa because, if anyone was accustomed
to international affairs, intelligence activities, covert activities (because
of his OSS experience), Allen Dulles certainly was. Put these all together
and, regardless of the individual himself or his family relationships (which
were strong, of course, because both his brother and sister were strong in
the State Department), you produce a person (called Allen Dulles) who is a
missionary, a diplomat, a financier, a lawyer -- a really unusual individual
for this period. Then you bring him into the government as the Director of
Central Intelligence, and he calls upon all this background and associates.

>From my experience with him (which for seven or eight years was rather
considerable), you could feel this power in the man. This was the way he
worked. He felt that he had a perfect right to preach capitalism as he saw
it, or anticommunism as he saw it, throughout the world.

It was people like Allen Dulles who really created the North/South
confrontation which was actually East/West between communism, but North/South
with regard to Third World countries, where either they should shape up with
us or else they were declared "communist." There's no black in the middle, no
area in the middle where they could ignore them. There's no neutral. In the
old days, India tried very hard to be a neutral country. And this Dulles
system just wouldn't permit them to be neutral. They had to be communist or
they had to be capitalist, one way or the other.

This is the nature of Dulles. When you worked with him, it was either
communism or the West. You can't describe precisely these things, but it's in
all the literature since World War II. It's in everything we were doing. The
Agency was motivated along those lines. Especially as you saw Dulles move
into these things that we were talking about, through his ability to control
the morning briefings, guiding the government along this reactive channel.
Because when Dulles became the Director of Central Intelligence one of the
first things he did in the Agency was to abolish the DDA. We've talked about
the DDS, the support and the logistics; we've talked about DDP, the
clandestine operation; and of course DDI was the Deputy Director of
Intelligence, which is the ordinary intelligence business. But the CIA had
had a DDA. DDA was administration, planning, management. He abolished that.
He saw no use for it. If he saw no use for management, planning,
administration -- that role in the Agency -- then you can see that what he
was going to do was let his eyes and ears (his intelligence area, his covert
area) find things to do and then do that, whatever it was.

So he would react to things. And with that system that he applied, he brought
it into the entire government. After several years, the government itself was
becoming a government of reaction. This is the main point about having a CIA
in a government like ours that makes it very dominant: It assumes the title
without even trying -- because it's easy to respond with a reaction. If you
get punched, you punch back. That's easy. This is Mr. Dulles in a nutshell.
And his shadow having fallen over the government for so many years has
created a government which does react rather than respond dynamically.

This is very true in this decade of the eighties in our government, and I
think it is this straitjacket that Kennedy was trying to remove from the
office of the Presidency. Kennedy was definitely making moves to rid the
government of this reactive motivation. Of course he fired Dulles in late
1961, that was the first step.

Ratcliffe: But after he was elected he didn't yet see what would happen until
something like the Bay of Pigs came along to make him wary of such a reactive
straitjacket.

Prouty: I think Kennedy, having great confidence in his own ability, realized
that he didn't have to fight the ten rounds of the championship bout all at
once. He'd take them in order. He lined up the program that he saw through
his first four years as a chance to begin to really take over the government
in his name and in what he wanted to do. Then during his latter four years he
planned to make moves that would set the course of our history for many, many
years. And of course, as a lot of people have pointed out, he had Bobby in
the wings and Teddy in the wings and then their children in the wings. They
would have had a Kennedy Dynasty for years. At least, that's one way to look
at it.

But I think Kennedy rebelled against this business of the reaction to things.
He wanted to do some things. This of course put him in direct conflict with
Allen Dulles and with the CIA and with that method of operation, which really
dated back to Walter Bedell Smith. Walter Bedell Smith is the one who started
the pre-briefings shortly after he had been appointed DCI by Truman. So we
must not say that this was truly Dulles' origin.

This is important for historians. They should go back a little further and
see that Walter Bedell Smith -- who was Eisenhower's closest confidant during
World War II, who left that job to become Ambassador to the Soviet Union
(which is quite an unusual assignment for a General), and then came directly
back from being the Ambassador to the Soviet Union to being the Director of
Central Intelligence -- should not be overlooked for the enormous role that
he played. Then he stepped down from being the DCI to become the deputy to
John Foster Dulles at the Department of State so that Allen Dulles could move
into the slot in the DCI. I would not say that the Dulles brothers formed all
this themselves. I would say that Walter Bedell Smith and his associates,
including Eisenhower, had a lot to do with all of this evolutionary process.

Ratcliffe: Even though it was Truman, in 1950, who recalled Bedell Smith from
Moscow to take over the CIA, once this was the hue and cry in the country
about how we'd been caught with our pants down in Korea when the invasion
happened.

Prouty: That is a part of the greater problem of how the whole country -- how
the whole world rolled over from the alliances of World War II into the Cold
War (World War III/Cold War) of being anticommunist and Pavlovian
anticommunist, unreasonable anticommunism: everything that we didn't like was
communist right away -- anything the Soviets did was against the West. And to
create that direct opposition right out of the ashes of World War II, and for
what most people would say were very unreasonable reasons. Nothing that had
been done in Moscow changed this. They had been our partners in war and all
of a sudden we were opposed to them. But I don't want to leave anyone with
the idea that this began solely with Dulles. Dulles perfected it of course.
Dulles was the epitome of the person that fit that role, but he was not the
first man.  Bedell Smith was ahead of him.

Dispersion of the OSO, Creation of the Office of SACSA

Ratcliffe: We've discussed briefly before, your office -- the Office of
Special Operations -- being transferred in either late '61 or early '62 out
of the Office of the Secretary of Defense and into the Office of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff. I'd like your ideas about the importance and significance of
this change with the concurrence of your office being transferred from OSD to
the Joint Staff and how, to quote you directly, "as a progression of this
first move, the Joint Staff created an office called the Special Assistant
for Counterinsurgency and Special Activities, or SACSA."[2]

Prouty: There had been an Office of Special Operations in the Office of the
Secretary of Defense, ever since its establishment in 1947-48 under Secretary
Forrestal. That office was there to take the directives from NSC that had to
do with covert operations and translate them into Defense Department action.

When Kennedy was elected, General Erskine had been working on an
Eisenhower-directed study to establish, in the Defense establishment, a
Defense Intelligence Agency. It was quite apparent that, although the CIA
existed, it did not emphasize military intelligence gathering adequately for
the intelligence careerists and professionals in the military. They felt that
a common Defense establishment (DIA) would improve the military intelligence
area. In many ways it would counterbalance the CIA for their own benefit.
General Erskine, the long-time head of the Office of Special Operations, is
the one who wrote that study.

When that study was concluded after Kennedy's inauguration -- and I believe
almost on the day of the Bay of Pigs exercise, if I remember the date it
seemed to me it came on almost the identical day -- it was approved by
Secretary McNamara, shortly after the General had given it to him. Shortly
thereafter General Erskine, who had then been in the Pentagon for more years
than any other Assistant to the Secretary had ever been there, retired.

The question for McNamara then was: Should he retain OSO as it had been and
try to put another man in there, or should he divide it into other functions?
First of all, OSO was responsible for the overview of NSA. In the technical
world that had developed in those latter years, with satellites, U-2's and
SR-71's and all that, much of that work had moved over into what we called
DDR&E (the Deputy of Defense for Research and Engineering). So that area of
responsibility was transferred from OSO to DDR&E. That took away one big role
from OSO. Another function in the Office of the Secretary of Defense that had
moved was ISA (International Security Agency), and much of their role was in
connection and coordination with the State Department. So that
responsibility, which had been in OSO, was moved to ISA.

Then you get to this area of Special Operations (the support of the
clandestine activities). The active work that was required for this task, for
the most part took place in the services. But the three services had always
been running each office independently. During the five years I ran that
office in the Air Force, there was an Army counterpart and a Navy
counterpart, and although we worked together frequently, it was more or less
an ad hoc arrangement. We worked together, like for the Bay of Pigs, because
we had to. It was a necessity. But we didn't work together on policy matters
or on budget matters, which are so important. Each service did that
independently.

So I was called in by General Wheeler (who at that time was the Director of
the Joint Staff; this was a couple of years before he became the Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs of Staff) and asked what I thought about bringing the
Special Operations function into the JCS. And of course I immediately
approved it because I saw the rest of the OSO office going. In fact, they had
gone and I had the only office left there, with a functional job but with no
title. My boss General Erskine had gone. General Lansdale was doing some
special work for Deputy Secretary of Defense, Mr. Gilpatric, and was making
trips to not only Vietnam but to Central America at that time (which for
Lansdale was quite a new thing).

I told General Wheeler that I thought it would be a fine move to set up
Special Operations under the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and to
create an office that would unify the work of the Army, the Navy and the Air
Force (including the Marine Corps). General Wheeler agreed with that and
arranged a meeting with Mr. McNamara.

When we went up to see him, Mr. McNamara said, `I will take care of getting
the increase in the manning allotments for the Joint Chiefs of Staff (which
were limited to 400) sufficient to create this office, and you can go ahead
and set up the office.' So I moved from the physical area of the Secretary of
Defense downstairs to the JCS area. An Army officer was assigned to my
office, along with one or two staff, and a Navy officer, along with one or
two staff. We had probably eight or ten people. And we established the
Special Operations branch of what became SACSA -- the Office of the Special
Assistant for Counterinsurgency and Special Activities.

The SACSA development was very interesting. Nothing had existed in the Joint
Staff like that before. This was a "Special Assistant" to the Chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff for Counterinsurgency and Special Activities: two roles
that are not traditionally prime military roles. But during the Vietnam era
they became extremely important. This function brought with it another very
important office that you hear little about, and that's the office that
handles Cover and Deception. Deception is a very important type of Special
Operation.

You create things that you want to have discovered that are wrong: so that
Moscow would think we had a gun that worked the way it worked and it didn't
work, or a rocket that worked the way it did and it wouldn't work, or that we
sent people to some place to do a job that they'd think we were going to do
and we were never going to do it. This is important because when we set up
the Bay of Pigs -- on account of Deception, if the Russians found out about
that or if Castro found out about it -- they wouldn't know whether that was
Deception or whether we were going to do it.
Deception is an extremely important function, rarely talked about. I don't
know of anybody who's ever written about it properly. And at the same time
that my office was moved to the Joint Staff to unify Special Operations for
the services, the men who had been working for years in Deception unified
their office in the same area. In fact, they were right next door to me, and
we used to work together quite a bit because it was important that we do that
to have Deception effective throughout the military services.

This left the basic function, called counterinsurgency which developed from
the Special Forces (from the Green Berets and from that doctrine). This was a
move by the military to get into an area of CIA activity, especially in Laos
and Vietnam. And the other side, the Special Activities part of SACSA, was
simply to cover -- like saying "and so forth" -- to cover anything else that
was coming up of an unusual nature.

These transfers started with an Army General, General Craig, who stayed only
about a month or two in the job as Chief of SACSA. His problem was that,
being a straight-line Army general, he had difficulty making objective
decisions regarding either CIA or Special Forces, and the Air Force's Special
Air Warfare units, and so on. Whereas a neutral general might have been able
to make decisions more easily. In that period of time, because they were very
formative decisions, they moved to another man. The interim man after that
was another Army general, who had considerable experience with Special Forces
but was called for another job by the Army. So he stayed about two months.

Finally they brought in a Marine major general, Victor Krulak. Krulak was
ideal. He had no biases with respect to this function. He was straight Marine
Corps, and, as far as he was concerned, Special Forces, Special Air Warfare,
the Navy Seal teams, all of that and the CIA's work -- as he said, `That's
just an offshoot of the Marine Corps, so I know all about that stuff.' He was
good. What was new to him was the Deception work and the Special Operations
work. We worked closely together for years and that function developed
accordingly.

DOD Adoption of a Counterinsurgency Role
in the late Eisenhower Years

The counterinsurgency role has been identified with Kennedy. I think the
better way to read it would be that the counterinsurgency role was coming
into the Defense Department from the CIA. It was either a matter of their
getting into it or the CIA was going to overwhelm them. And it bloomed during
the Kennedy period. Pretty good proof of that is that although the Special
Forces center at Fort Bragg is called the Kennedy Center, it actually had its
inaugural first class during the Eisenhower period. In fact, it was Mr.
Douglas, Deputy Secretary of Defense, who went down there to inaugurate the
school and the first classes. I was down there with him, so I know the date
for sure. The Kennedy Center was not really the Kennedy Center; it was
operating earlier than Kennedy's election. Which shows that counterinsurgency
and that kind of thing did not begin with Kennedy. It began before Kennedy.

Ratcliffe: You mention further on, "The important thing to understand is that
the much-heralded office of SACSA had very few military responsibilities. It
was almost entirely CIA oriented."[3] This brings up this whole question of
direction -- not only the importance to the Secret Team in general of an
office like the Special Assistant for Counterinsurgency and Special
Activities, but besides General Krulak -- there's this situation of Maxwell
Taylor coming back into the government after leaving in a huff. He resigned
in 1958?, '59? -- during the Eisenhower administration. He was the Chief of
Staff of the Army -- and left in a huff because of disagreements. Taylor
wrote a book called The Uncertain Trumpet, which you indicate you felt very
strongly was fronting for this idea of "flexible response." But more directly
the whole linchpin of counterinsurgency as being this new form of operations
that apparently, as you indicate, was more to increase the scope of CIA
operations than to, in effect, do what it did -- which was to change the
military's posture from a traditional military fighting stance to this sort
of counterinsurgency focus or intent.

Prouty: The shift from Eisenhower to Kennedy, first of all, as far as the
bureaucracy was concerned, was most unexpected. The Pentagon was all ready
for Nixon just like, as we see today, the Reagan-Bush era -- it was expected.
The bureaucracy was ready for Bush to come in and simply keep things going.
We had the same feeling in 1960. And those of us at that time in the Pentagon
could see that everything was moving toward a Nixon continuation of most of
the Eisenhower program -- with some differences and with a strong bent
towards CIA, as Nixon had in those days.

That didn't happen. And yet the infrastructure was all in place. The "Special
Forces" increase at Fort Bragg was in place. The Navy Seal teams were already
in place. I had opened up a big base for the CIA at Eglin Air Force Base,
Florida, and we had moved CIA aircraft down there in 1959, a year before the
election. We had the Air Commandos established and stationed right next to
Eglin, at Hurlbert Air Force Base. Everything was already in place. There wasn
't anything the Kennedy administration could do to change that. As a result
there had to be some top echelon to govern, or to direct, their activities.
But SACSA was not a command situation. What SACSA did was provide the Joint
Chiefs of Staff with the information necessary so they would understand the
functional employment (or they would be able to make use of the functional
employment) of these rather large organizations which were in existence
around the world.

NSAM 55 -- JFK's Attempt
to Get CIA out of Clandestine Operations

With the arrival of Kennedy, the first thing that had to be gotten out of the
way was this Bay of Pigs operation. We've discussed that. After the Bay of
Pigs, he asked General Taylor to make a review of the Bay of Pigs and write
up for him what he thought his administration should know about that kind of
operation in the future. He wanted to get the CIA out of that business. The
Taylor "Letter To The President" -- and I must emphasize that every word of
that letter had the approval of the other members of Kennedy's Cuban Study
Group (meaning Allen Dulles, Admiral Burke and Bobby Kennedy -- Bobby Kennedy
most importantly) -- the Taylor "Letter" really moved the Kennedy
administration closer to counterinsurgency. Because what Kennedy did -- and
this was one of the most significant acts of the Kennedy era, of the Kennedy
1000 Days -- was that he took the precise words of this Taylor Report (this
Taylor/Burke/Dulles/Kennedy report) and made them into a National Security
Action Memorandum, which was a Directive from the White House.  It was NSAM
No. 55 and it was accompanied by two essential follow-on NSAMs, 56 and 57 --
all three of which contained the language of the Taylor "Letter." They were
not new creations by somebody else, they were the language of the Taylor
"Letter."[4
]
Among other things, NSAM 55 directed that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, and the Joint Staff, be "the Advisors to the President in peacetime as
they would be in wartime." Most people who are not familiar with the full
meaning of that don't realize that, in time of war, the Chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff is the No. 1 Advisor to the President, the Commander in
Chief. Not the Secretary of Defense, not the Secretary of State, nobody else
-- the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs -- that's the law.

When Kennedy said, "You are my advisor in peacetime as you would be in
wartime," he is saying to the Chairman, `You are my Advisor for clandestine
operations, and all the other operations being carried out in peacetime.' He
not only put that in words, but the very technique he used to deliver it to
the Chairman was impressive.

I can't help but remember that, because NSAM 55 was delivered to me in an
envelope from the White House and I was the one charged with the
responsibility of briefing it to the Chairman. It arrived in my hands from
the White House and no notation on it whatsoever that a copy had gone to the
State Department, to the Secretary of Defense, to the Director of Central
Intelligence -- nobody. I had never seen a paper like that from the White
House before, i.e. with a single addressee. It's just not protocol. It isn't
what we do. But Kennedy wanted to emphasize -- by writing this letter
directly to General Lemnitzer and saying "You are my Advisor in peacetime as
you would be in wartime" and let the other men find out the next day from
copies (which we of course made immediately) -- that this was what the
President had done.

I can't overemphasize the shock -- not simply the words -- that procedure
caused in Washington: to the Secretary of State, to the Secretary of Defense,
and particularly to the Director of Central Intelligence. Because Allen
Dulles, who was still the Director, had just lived through the shambles of
the Bay of Pigs, had sat through all the hearings that were presided over by
Maxwell Taylor when they reviewed the Bay of Pigs and now he finds out that
what Kennedy does as a result of all this is to say that, `you, General
Lemnitzer, are to be my Advisor'. In other words, I'm not going to depend on
Allen Dulles and the CIA. Historians have glossed over that or don't know
about it.

That NSAM No. 55 was more important during the Kennedy era than anything else
except the assassination. In fact it may have caused a major move toward that
deadly decision. It said more about Kennedy's plans for the government of the
United States than anything else he had signed his name to at least until
NSAM 263 in October '63. This is where the Kennedy administration put its
print on what it intended to do with clandestine operations.

Chairman of the JCS:
Exit Lyman Lemnitzer, Enter Maxwell Taylor

It didn't work exactly as he intended it, because of some of the people
involved. General Lemnitzer was not a Cold Warrior. After I had briefed
General Lemnitzer, he said, "Prouty, put that in the file. We'll think about
it." He was not about to put that up on a pennant and march around the city
with it. He was not going to be the government's Cold Warrior. But, he would
be if directed. He would perform his duty as he had always done. But he did
not fit the role of the Cold Warrior.
The next factor was that his replacement as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff was Maxwell Taylor, the man who wrote that crucial directive. Here was
Maxwell Taylor writing NSAM 55, the President approving NSAM 55, putting his
name on it and making it a White House Directive, and then that Directive
sitting in the office with Maxwell Taylor, in the job that he intended to
create for himself. Therefore the Maxwell Taylor review of the Bay of Pigs
problem became the Mein Kampf of the Maxwell Taylor era in the Joint Chiefs
of Staff. Just like the Dulles-Jackson-Correa report of 1949 being the Mein
Kampf of the CIA.

Anyone who studies Kennedy's role leading up to Vietnam and as far into
Vietnam as he went before he died, must keep in mind that he's the one who
said the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was to be his Advisor in Cold
War. Now of course, being an Advisor in Cold War is not exactly the equal to
being a Commander in a Cold War, but it leads directly toward that function.
This was a major change, at least in the way things had been going during the
Eisenhower-Dulles era, as we moved into the Kennedy and McCone era. McCone
replaced Allen Dulles within a few months. Bissell was released, General
Cabell was released, and they started off with a new group of people in the
CIA. I cannot emphasize enough how important NSAM 55 was in the Kennedy "1000
Days," and also how important it is to realize that most historians have
omitted it completely in their studies of the Kennedy legacy. It gives a
completely different view of Kennedy's objectives. Several people have
printed that Kennedy told Mansfield, among others, that he was going to
"break the Agency into a thousand pieces." But he had already broken it. With
NSAM 55 he had already told Allen Dulles, `I don't need you as my Advisor.'
That's explicit. People need to think about that because that was important.
That's where the SACSA organization came in, ready-made, with people who had
a lot of experience.

For instance, the Navy representative in my office Captain John Bowell had
been one of the founders of the Navy Seal team concept. The Army assistant
was equally qualified and, among others, there was Al Haig, and people like
that. They were not just people brought in casually. They were experienced.
Without delay the Army work at Fort Bragg began to increase into the
predominant number of Green Berets that we saw later in the Vietnam War.

So we're dealing here with a period that was most interesting. Much of this
moved forward like a glacier, with the Bay of Pigs to sharpen Kennedy's
attention, and then his action right away to `Get Even!' and to take over
control: `I'm not going to have another Bay of Pigs.' He put the JCS in
charge of Cold War activities and removed the CIA from the scene.  This was
his plan, to be fully implemented during his second term after the 1964
elections.

However, there was one problem. Kennedy knew or found out that, Maxwell
Taylor was not exactly his hip-pocket Cold Warrior. Maxwell Taylor had prior
understandings with CIA. And characteristically, he wanted to dominate that
field himself. He visualized himself operating in somewhat the way Allen
Dulles had. Or, another way to put it was, he was not your conventional
military man at that time. In fact, here's a personal observation on that. A
Lemnitzer JCS meeting was a friendly, efficient, well-managed meeting with a
thorough discussion of each subject. A Maxwell Taylor JCS meeting was quiet;
Taylor delivering the subject and then there was almost no discussion. He'd
say, `Any more on that, gentlemen?' No. `Next subject.' It was just like a
meeting in a funeral parlor.

It's hard to understand exactly what that meant. But for those of us sitting
in the second row and listening to the Chiefs under Taylor after we had spent
so many years listening to them under Lemnitzer, it became clear that Maxwell
Taylor did not represent the typical military man at that time.

So what Kennedy may have hoped to achieve may not have been successful
because of the individuals involved. Taylor was not the right man to do that.
Kennedy planned to move on that later. This all gets quite complex. This era
can't be studied enough if anyone wants to understand the Kennedy legacy.

The central point here is that it was not Taylor who stayed on to fight the
Vietnam war. It was Wheeler. Had it worked the way Taylor wanted it to work,
he would have stayed on throughout the Vietnam War and become the military
leader (and he hoped victor) of the Vietnam War. Because as Chairman he would
have Westmoreland and Abrams and all those people working for him. I think
that's what he thought his role would be.

Ratcliffe: So your sense then of this: perhaps if Taylor had retained the
Chairman's position of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and been able to, in effect,
reside over a victory he would have seen be implemented through the use of
counterinsurgency warfare tactics.

Prouty: During World War II he was a paratroop leader. In other words, he was
more like the old Army would say, a cavalryman. He was a man ready to adapt
new tactics and to fight new kinds of war, and Taylor would have moved in
that area. In an era of hydrogen bombs and satellites and all that sort of
thing, it may be that he was the last of a dying breed, just like the old
horse cavalryman . . . that's exactly where I started in the late thirties.

Bay of Pigs Post-Mortem and the Dynamics of Personality:
Allen Dulles, Maxwell Taylor, and Bobby Kennedy

Ratcliffe: This is right to the point in terms of Taylor coming in to the
government: he was on this Bay of Pigs post-mortem committee. You write about
Allen Dulles' role in the committee, set up by Kennedy, arranging

. . . for witnesses who would provide background briefings of the new Agency
drift into counterinsurgency. The broad plan for counterinsurgency as a
marriage of the CIA and of the U.S. Army had been laid down during the months
of the Eisenhower administration. It remained for its proponents, mostly men
of the ST, to sell it to the Kennedy team. . . .
Throughout this complex process, his [Allen Dulles'] primary target for
conversion to the CIA was General Maxwell Taylor. Here was the right man at
the right time for Allen Dulles' exploitation and for use of the ST.[5]

We have then described Taylor coming in and perhaps having his own ideas and
hopes or ambitions for how he could move up. And you have written in the book
that Bobby Kennedy had been very taken by this man Taylor, and apparently in
his talks each night, going back to talk to his brother, must have conveyed
this sense of his fascination and interest in Taylor to John Kennedy. Then in
effect, somehow, Kennedy doing just what (in the way you seem to write)
Dulles would hope he would do -- which was to bring Taylor into the White
House, to bring him in first as the Special Assistant to the President for
Counterinsurgency?
Prouty: No, Military Assistant.

Ratcliffe: Military Assistant. And then being promoted to the Joint Chiefs of
Staff. Was it in effect, that by that point the inertia of "the right man at
the right time" being something Kennedy then picked up on and somehow fell
for it?

Prouty: Not quite in that view. Remember, Eisenhower had been in the White
House for eight years, and he had followed Truman following WWII. That was a
long period of time with everything going in generally the same "Post
WWII-type" direction. Then Kennedy came on the scene and initiated a much
different course in the ways of the Government.

A good example of this was the way he handled the post-Bay of Pigs
investigation with his appointment of the Cuban Study Group. Kennedy put
Allen Dulles, Adm. Arleigh Burke, Gen. Maxwell Taylor and Bobby Kennedy
together in one room. He could not have created a better group for that
purpose. In some respects, they were opponents on almost every score. Then
when you add to this his sheer genius of calling in the former Director of
Central Intelligence, Gen. Eisenhower's long-time European aide and the first
post-war Ambassador to Moscow, Gen. Walter Bedell Smith as premier witness,
his choices for this important Cuban Study Group review could not have been
better for his purpose. This worked for Kennedy. His mind could assimilate
this. Smith tipped the scales in JFK's favor.

This is a good example of where Kennedy's years of Congressional experience,
which I am afraid many historians have discounted, paid off in a big way for
him. People have forgotten that Jack Kennedy had been in Washington as a
member of Congress since the 1946 as both a Member of the House and of the
Senate; and had grown up in the Court of St. James as the son of Joe Kennedy,
the powerful and wily U.S. Ambassador. That's an education!

With these Cuban Study Group choices he was getting ideas and testimony from
the experts. Allen Dulles' role in this Group was that he was the only man
there who could make up the witness list. I had worked with many of those
people for years. At that time their hearing room was only a few doors down
the hall from my office in the JCS area. That area of the Pentagon is
composed of little narrow hallways with no windows outside. Many of the
witnesses would come in and sit in my office and have a cup of coffee until
they were called into the room.

I began to notice who the men were that they were calling. Some of them had
not worked on the Bay of Pigs; they were old-time Dulles implants from years
back who might have had some peripheral assignment with the Cuban Brigade,
but not basically. What Allen Dulles and the Agency were doing was using this
opportunity to sit there every day with Bobby Kennedy, and every day with
Maxwell Taylor to do some basic orientation.

It was heavy; and it paid off in some important ways. When you read sections
of their Report to the President you'll realize that this type of
indoctrination went all the way back to Dulles' old Dulles-Jackson-Correa
philosophy. Dulles had a very willing hand in Maxwell Taylor, who had gotten
out of the Government in a "huff" during his Eisenhower years. Now, with this
new Kennedy group immersed in the Bay of Pigs problem, it was Taylor's
opportunity to move in, and he did just that. He got friendly with Bobby --
in fact one of Bobby's children is named Maxwell Taylor Kennedy. Bobby was
very influenced by Taylor, and Dulles was influencing Taylor from his side.

Arleigh Burke, a rather stoic individual, did not join too much in the
conversation but saw the sense of humor of the whole scene, and just sat
there. I knew Arleigh Burke quite well -- he's the finest Chief of Naval
Operations the U.S. Navy ever had and a very competent person in his own
right. But he had no ax to grind in this committee. He simply tried to keep
things honest.
As this interrogation progressed, it went longer than we ever expected. Allen
Dulles saw that he was becoming effective in this business of indoctrinating
Bobby Kennedy and Maxwell Taylor. It appears to me that Bobby Kennedy saw
both sides of this. He was no neophyte. He went along with some of this
listening to everything that Allen Dulles said, but at the same time I think
the Kennedys had decided that Allen Dulles was through.  I think they had
also decided that Taylor was a strong man, that they would stay with him. He
would be in their control. He would not be out of control as Dulles might
have been.
--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.