From: Bob Stokes
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2000 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [CTRL] Big Brother is now in Gas Stations

-Caveat Lector-   <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">
</A> -Cui Bono?-

<<  I just went to a Union 76 Gas Station to get gas and while there I
 decided to buy cigarettes and beer, as I have a lot of work to do and did not
 want to go back out.
     When I got the beer, I was carded (I am 51 years old) and told the girl
 behid the counter that I was old enough to be her grandfather and she told me
 that she could not sell me the beer unless, I had a valid Id. I showed her my
 driver's license and she immediately ran it througn a machine similiar to the
 ones the use for credit cards.

     Is anyone out there familiar with this new device and where is it hooked
 up to.

     I don't know what state you live in, but I live in Colorado.  They don't
do that here. If you want to buck the system it isn't hard, just rub a magnet
on the magnetic strip on the back of your license.  It scrambles the
information so it cannot be read.  If you don't have  a magnet readily
available just rub it on the magnet on the back of a speaker,it has a magnet
strong enough to do the trick.  I know it works, got pulled over for a bad
headlight about ten months ago.  The officer figured it must have been
erased/scratched over time.  He had only the information on the front of the
card to go by.  I don't figure they have any right to personal information
about me.

Regards,
Bob Stokes

screeds are not allowed. Substance-not soap-boxing!  These are sordid matters
and 'conspiracy theory'-with its many half-truths, misdirections and outright
frauds-is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects