</A> -Cui Bono?-

Dave Hartley
http://www.Asheville-Computer.com/dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:46:10 EST
To:   EMF guru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Subject: Mirror 17/1/00 & 'Social Security Staff threaten walk out over
mast'

  FYI
        Monday 17th Jan 2000

SCHOOLS GIVE LESSONS ON MOBILE PHONE DANGERS

SCHOOLCHILDREN are now getting lessons in the classroom on how to use
their  mobile phones safely.

One local education authority is teaching pupils about the possible health
 dangers posed by mobiles, following an explosion in the number of
under-16s  who carry them.

Two more authorities are set to follow suit and issue pupils with their
own  guidelines on how to cut the health risks. Brighton and Hove Council
in East  Sussex has been warning 55,000 children - some as young as five -
in its 77  schools of the dangers since last year.

Education chiefs in Derbyshire are now writing to 400 schools with a
similar  warning.

And in Edinburgh councillors are drawing up guidelines to help teachers
educate 60,000 pupils on the dangers.

Microwave radiation from mobiles is feared to cause cancer, affect blood
pressure and cause memory problems. And scientists fear young children may
be  the most vulnerable.

Dr Henry Lai, of the University of Washington, Seattle, said: "It is very
scary that so many children in Britain are using mobiles. We have no idea
of  the effect. I won't let my seven-year-old child use a mobile phone."

Professor Gerald Hyland of the University of Warwick added: "It's totally
irresponsible for parents to let their children have mobiles. It is the
equivalent of giving the child a cyanide pill."

The advice which teachers in East Sussex are giving to their pupils
includes:

Use a land line rather than a mobile if possible.

Keep mobiles as far away from the head as possible while making calls.

Keep mobile calls short.

Buy a mobile from Vodaphone or Cellnet, which operate at lower
frequencies.

Edinburgh City Council will offer similar advice. Local councillor Brian
Fallon said: "We will advise school children to use a land line. If that's
 not possible, use an earpiece and carry your mobile in a plastic bag or
handbag because, if there was a harmful effect from radiation levels, it
would be worse if the phone is next to the body."

About 350,000 children in Britain now use mobile phones. Over Christmas
the  mobile phone industry gained an extra four million subscribers - many
of them  children.

Perdita Patterson, editor of What Mobile, said mobile firms are
increasingly  targeting children, by making phones more brightly coloured
and exciting, and  by introducing the ability to send text messages.

And the sudden rise in mobile phone ownership has also landed schools with
a  financial headache.

Headmasters are spending way over their phone budget - because parents
keep  leaving mobile numbers to ring them back on.

Monday 17th Jan 2000

=======

I'M 12 AND SPEND POUNDS 50 A MONTH ON MY MOBILE CALLS

SAMMY Jagger is only 12 years old but she would never leave home without
her  mobile phone.

She thinks little of spending all of her pounds 50-a-month pocket money on
 her latest fashion accessory. Without it she would be the odd one out -
because ALL her classmates have one.

Sammy says: "Everyone in my class owns a mobile and we all take them to
school. They're a real 'must have'."

Sammy and her friends are not allowed to use their phones in class at the
private all-girls Sir William Perkins's School, in Chertsey, Surrey, but
they  can make calls and send text messages during break-times.

Sammy, of Walton-on-Thames, says "It's a fashion accessory and it's cool
to  have different-coloured covers. In the past you might have a handbag
to go  with your outfit, but now you have a sexy mobile. My phone's black
so it goes  with anything."

She dismisses any health fears, saying: "I've heard they fry your brains
but  I'm sure I don't use it enough for that."

Meanwhile, Sian Hills, 13, says mobiles are just as vital an accessory at
her  school, Chipping Sodbury Comprehensive, near Bristol.

She says: "All kids say to each other in the playground is 'call me on my
mobile'."

Sian got her phone from her parents for Christmas and spends about pounds
5 a  week on calls.

Like Sammy, she shrugs off safety fears, saying: "I haven't heard about
them  being dangerous. When I make a call it is pretty short so I'm sure
I'm all  right."

=======

'Walk-out' threat over phone mast

Social services staff have threatened to walk out if mobile phone masts
are  erected on their office building.
Angry employees at the Oxfordshire County Council offices in Cowley Road,
Oxford, fear risks to their health.

Staff voiced their concern at a public meeting on Thursday and warned they
 would demonstrate to stop workmen from mobile phone firm Orange from
putting  up the six masts.

One worker, who asked not to be named to protect her job, said: "We are
not  saying we will refuse to work. We are saying we will refuse to work
there.

"We believe the council is contravening its duty of care to staff and is
severely risking our health and safety. "Would anyone feel safe working in
a  building with these masts on top?"

The meeting, attended by more than 60 people, was organised by Cameo, the
Campaign Against Masts in East Oxfordshire.

The group urged residents to stop workmen putting up the masts when the
work  begins next Thursday.

Nobody from Orange attended, despite being invited.

There are widespread concerns among the public about possible health risks
 caused by mobile phone masts although the phone companies insist there is
no  "substantiated evidence" to suggest any link. Oxford Cameo spokesman
Dharesh  Turnbull said: "Until we know exactly how these masts affect the
health of  people nearby we will not allow them to go up."

County councillor Craig Simmons said he would back any peaceful direct
action.

The nearby 250-pupil East Oxford First School is opposing the scheme along
 with several businesses in the area.

Cameo plans to take out an injunction to stop Orange putting up the masts,
 but has only a week before work begins.

Part of James Street is expected to be closed on Thursday evening while
cranes are put in place to hoist the masts to the top of the building on
Saturday.

Story date: Saturday 15 January
 Copyright 1999 Newsquest Media Group

=======

 -- Jeff --    http://www.wellnow.com

 Well Now Health Information Service
 Box 15524 Atlanta Georgia [30333]
   eFax: (419) 793-3043
 "There's nothing left in the world to prove. All that's worth doing is
  to love one another, using any means available to that purpose."