From: Michael Jordan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 2:13 AM
To: John Johnson; David Hartley
Subject: FW: Fw: [Earth First! alert] Urgent! FBI Stand Off at Pine
Ridge!]

Mr. Johnson and Mr. Hartley,

I don't know who either of you are except that I know that you're not Sioux.
You people, in your frenzy to find something "Indian" to identify with, are
putting out this completely inaccurate and incendiary information.

There is no confrontation between the FBI and Oglala Tribal President Harold
Salway and the protestors.  Dale Looks Twice and Eileen Janis, the
spokespersons of the protestors, have repeatedly asked that this kind of
hyperbole below not be started up.  The FBI, Justice Department, and Civil
Rights Division representatives are on the scene at the request of the
protestors; they've been in meetings for three days straight, getting all
the information on the corrupt members, particularly the Treasurer, Wesley
'Chuck' Jacobs.  They'll be in Oglala Tribal Court, seeing my friend Judge
Steven Emory, tomorrow at 10 am to secure a court order removing Jacobs.

As far as the rest of your hyperbole goes:

If you consider getting from Rapid City to Pine Ridge (70 miles) in 16 hours
as fast as "a duck on a june bug," you must know some starving ducks.  The
Feds were notified and showed up for meetings on Monday morning.  The Oglala
Tribal Police are on the side of the protestors; about 60 of them were about
to be fired because of the ripoff by SOME members of the OST Council...so
whose side do you think they were on?

There was never any danger of a "Waco-type" situation.  This has been
completely calm; members of my own tribe's government, Rosebud Sioux Tribe,
are there assisting because we're going to have to take a similar action in
the near future.

And last, it appears clear that neither of you understand anything about
tribal sovereignty.  While we're glad that there are non-Sioux who are
sympathetic to our problems, the reality is that they are OUR problems.
Interfering to help and interfering to hurt both have the same effect for
us.  We CAN take care of ourselves...how do you think we have managed to be
here despite five centuries of genocide?

Please, cease and desist in reporting this highly inaccurate information.
One more thing - a call has gone out for AIM members and Sioux people to
come to support the protestors.  It means what it says - Indian members of
the American Indian Movement and members of the Oglala, Itazipco, Hunkpapa,
O:ohenupa, Mnikhowanzu, Sicangu, and Sihasapa bands of Lakota, the Isanyati,
Sisseton, Wahpeton, Wahpekute, and Mdewakanton bands of Dakota, and the
Yankton, Yanktonai, and Assiniboine bands of Nakota.

This is internal Sioux business; please respect it as such.

Sincerely,

Mike Two Horses
Rosebud/Crow Creek Sioux

Indians
> > at
> > > the Pine Ridge  reservation who were attempting to demonstrate against
> > > corruption and malfeasance within the heavily fed-infiltrated
"official"
> > > tribal council there.
> > > The FBI is said to have been on the scene "INSTANTLY". In light of the
> > > TOTAL media blackout enforced by feds in regard to this situation,
there
> > > are serious concerns on the part of Native Americans and others of
some
> > > kind of severe, Waco-style tactics being employed at Pine Ridge.It's
> > > crucial to help ensure that eventuality can never come to pass; and to
>do
> > > that, we must get
> > > the word out regarding what's going on at Pine Ridge right now. So
>PLEASE,
> > > help.
> > > The Original Message
> > > Here's one that's in-process! I just received a call from one of my
>Native
> > > American friends, and things have gone critical on the Pine Ridge
> > > Reservation. At 2 pm today (Sunday, 1/16), protestors occupied the
>tribal
> > > offices on the Pine Ridge reservation, protesting abuses and
>embezzlement
> > > by the Tribal Council, including $7 million in embezzled funds.
>Suddenly,
> > > the FBI is there like a duck on a june bug. They are attempting to get
> > word
> > > out as fast and as widely as possible, as there has been a media
>lockdown,
> > and
> > > there is a standoff between the Feds and the Indian protestors that
>could
> > > get very ugly. There are fears of Waco-type actions, especially with
the
> > > media lockdown. They want this one put out far and wide, to hopefully
>get
> > > some attention before something turns very ugly. The phone number for
>the
> > > tribal offices building where these folks are standing off the Feds is
> > > (605)867-5821. I've been told they can keep folks apprised of what is
> > going
> > > on... at least until the phones get cut. I haven't called simply
because
> > > hear some of the local activists are calling, folks who might be able
> > do
> > > more than I can in California. Something is up, because the FBI isn't
> > > usually at scenes of conflicts so instantly. Could it have something
>do
> > > with records they are attempting to have opened, relative to
corruption
>on
> > > the reservation? What's really going on, here? >>

> [...]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]