</A> -Cui Bono?-

[EMAIL PROTECTED],Internet writes:

>>Well, I agree with the first few examples, although the example of the

>>Holocaust might be questioned on the grounds that while it was indeed
>>carried

>>out by a Christian society and drew on anti-Semitism rooted in Christian

>>beliefs, the architects were somewhat contemptuous of such beliefs and as
>>far

>>as I know, did not commit their vile act it in the name of God but to
>>realise

>>the pseudo-scientific goal of maintaining racial hygiene.

>The architects were Nazis. Nazism is a religion in its own right.

Quite true.

>However, the men who actually did the killing were mainly Lutherans,
Catholics and
Eastern Orthodox. The Germans wore a  uniform which featured a belt buckle
which said "God is with us." They killed thirteen million people in the
camps alone, but the real Holocaust is what they did to Russia. They
killed between twenty and fifty million Russians (depending on whose
version you believe). REAL Christians, i.e., the followers of the
teachings of Jesus himself, would have refused the Nazi's orders.

The brings forth the fundamental problem of Christianity anyway in which many
God-fearing folk seem to ignore one of the Ten Commandments & JC's view that
you just shouldn't kill or hurt people.

>>My real gripe,

>>however, is with your contention that current activity in Iraq is a good

>>example of Christians taking innocent blood. You only chose that because
>>it
>>suits your ideological mindset. I would contend that it is somewhat
>>removed
>>the example of the Crusades as the decision to bomb Iraq was made by a
>>nominally Christian politician, and not by a cleric. It isn't religiously
>>inspired.

>Neither were the Crusades. They were a land grab, plain and simple.

No. Don't fall into the trap of Marxist theory which holds that all human
activity should be understood in terms of economic gain. There was real faith
at work in the Crusades, for every knight there were hundreds of paupers
motivated by belief. Don't forget the Children's Crusade, one particularly
tragic product of that faith. And besides faith and greed, there was also
less controversial motives of self-interest such as escaping famine,
overpopulation etc.

>Religion was just an excuse. Religion is not the excuse in Iraq
Nevertheless, religious men, men who call themselves Christians,  have
murdered half a million Muslims so far in their siege of Iraq. Almost all
have been women and children. It doesn't matter why they did it. What
matters is that they do not refuse to do it. Jesus would refuse. Why do
those who claim to worship him not refuse? Is this not hypocricy?

Ultimately it is hypocrisy. But let's split hairs here to get to the bottom
of the issue which was originally raised when Satanists were accused of child
sacrifice.

Christianity as practised over the ages has failed to conform with JC's
preaching in three ways: at the instruction of the Church the innocent have
been killed as in the Crusades, Inquisition, & Conquistadors; the Church has
supported the killing of the innocent, or at least killing par se, by the
state, as in Church support for the governments of both sides in WW1 & 2 and
any other conflict you can care to mention over the past couple of hundred
years involving Christian states; and finally, in defiance of Christian
teachings about the wrongness of killing, many individual Christians have
willingly participated in atrocities, from butchering idigenes in the
colonies through the Holocaust to bombing civilians in Vietnam, Laos,
Cambodia, & backing cruel dictatorships around the world.

Not child sacrifice, but something far more insidious and worrying methinks.

BD